Picking up a 2001 Deluxe Super Strat today, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitard, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Guitard

Guitard Strat-Talk Member

Hello everyone,

Later today after work I was gonna go pick up this blonde 2001 Deluxe Super Strat for $450 (cash). It has a few dings and scratches on the body and some fret-ware, but they claim it is in good playing condition. My question is, do you believe this guitar is worth $450, even with the dings and scratches that come along with it? Thank you so much and I will post pictures of it if I end up getting it!

https://reverb.com/item/5648816-200...ter-electric-guitar-w-bag-honey-blonde-strat?

2. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

It would be a good deal for a normal used MIM, so I guess it's a good deal if the dings aren't too bad. I haven't heard of that particular run before doing some research into it just now, so I guess it isn't that collectible (I guess!), so don't let them tell you anything like "It's from 2001, where else are you gonna find one like it?" Yes, the color is nice, but you can get that today, too.
    just treat it like you would any 16 year old MIM. I would try to get them down to 380$ if the dings are clearly visible, 400$ is they're negligible.

Check this thread for more background info.

3. ashtray

ashtray Strat-O-Master

Price is ok. Would be better if in mint condition. Play it in person and see how it is BEFORE you hand over the cash.

Its just a "Deluxe Series" MIM Stratocaster. I think they used an ash body and added a switch to give two more pickup options (all on, or neck and bridge on). You can easily rewire any guitar like that. I think this model had a rolled fretboard edges or something? Dunno. I played them back when they were new. They were nicer than MIM Standards.

If in rough cosmetic shape, I'd say worth closer to $375. If mint, $450-500 tops.

amstratnut likes this.
  4. Guitard

Thanks for the tips guys, cosmetically it was a bit rough, mainly just this large dent in the front. Ended up going with a 2001 Mexican Standard they had for $429 which I thought felt and played better, doesn't have a scratch on it either.

Attached Files:

Ronnie12460 likes this.
  5. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

You made the right decision.

6. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Just going by looks the one you originally posted was a Deluxe Players Strat, the little white button, gold hardware and body color being the giveaways. The fact that the seller was calling it a Super Strat makes me think it might have been one of those Super Fat Super Strat guitars that came with similarly named pickups. Not important now since you passed.

amstratnut likes this.
  7. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

What's the button for ?

8. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Another WI ST'er here.

We have to get a jam going soon by Madtown.

9. stryker59

stryker59 Strat-Talk Member

The button engages the bridge pickup when the selector is on the neck or neck middle positions.

amstratnut likes this.
  10. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

Ok, gilmour style !

11. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Now that's a good deal :thumb:

12. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

Man people paying 429 for pre upgrade mim standards now? These were 299 new lol. I don't want to ever hear "buy MIA they hold their value better" again

13. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

I believe the deluxe super strat was what they called the deluxe player before it had noiseless pickups.

dante1963 likes this.
  14. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

The Deluxe Player strats have excelent necks with 12" radius.

My partscaster started off as a Deluxe Player. Kept the neck and hardware.

15. Guitard

If you haven't checked out Tate's Blues Jam at the Knuckle Down Saloon on Thursday nights, it's a must. Technically starts at 8:30, the house band plays from 9ish -10ish, then they invite jammers to come up (whoever showed up first) from 10ish to midnight and you usually get to play on about 4 songs. It's a great time!

16. dante1963

dante1963 Senior Stratmaster

I actually had a 2001 deluxe super Strat, for a few months in 2001. Loved the guitar, hated the name.

I remember it having better fretwork than the MiMs of the time. Still, for that price and the S&H, I'd have passed, too.

A good guitar, but, now that I know more, not truly exceptional. Some of the finishes were quite pretty, though, with the gold hardware.

17. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Not that it matters at this point but I finally talk to someone at Fender and as I suspected this is a Deluxe Suoer Strat which came with the Suoer Fat Super Strat pick ups. I had one some of these pickups years ago. I still sucked lol.