Pickup combo opinions

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Steelskin, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

Hey guys so im thinking about getting these pups for one of my project strats.

seymour duncan '59 in the neck and custom 5 in the bridge.
    I have read good things about this combo. Just wanted to ask some like minded peoples.

What ya think about this combo.

I play multiple styles, at the moment lots of country. Ive been known to play, blues, jazz, pop rock, classic rock, ska/reggea, pop punk.

Just a side note my number 1 is a 97 big apple hardtail.

the guitar that they are going into is a 2001 affinity body with a localy made maple/ebony neck.

2. jason555

jason555 Strat-Talker

When it comes to hum buckers I'm always a fan of SD.

I have played a lespaul with this combo and it really rocked. To me it was more of a hard rock type of guitar...the bridge really screams!

I can't say how it would be in an affinity body with your maple/ebony neck combo, but in theory it would be scooped in the mids due to the pickup and choice of woods, and some strong highs.

A safe bet would to do the 59 neck and JB in the bridge (a pretty popular combination), this would probably give you a more vintage tone, but I always think if you want a tone that stands out, you should try something different :)

3. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

Hey Jason thanks fot he reply. I think im gonna go with the '59 custom 5 combo. For some reason i cant get them outa my head:p Thanks for the input!