Join Strat-Talk Today

Pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by guitarguy1964, May 31, 2019.

1. guitarguy1964

guitarguy1964 Strat-Talk Member

I've got a Custom Shop 1960 reissue Stratocaster from 1996 that has Texas Special pickups and I'm thinking about a change.
    I play a few different types of gigs and I'm really concerned about my clean sound. I'm looking for a full sound with nice low end as well as highs. These pickups just are too mid heavy for my ears now.
    I would like something noiseless but as long as there is a reverse wound middle pickup I'm good.

This isn't my only strat and I've tried a lot of different pickups over the years I'm just looking for some different suggestions. I like the fender fat 50s, vintage noiseless, I have strats with both silver and gold lace sensors and like them as well.

I worked for a big Fender dealer from 1985 to 2000 and have tried out and sold a lot of different types of pickups.
    Again, I'm just looking for something different. I want a nice clean sound. I do a lot country and classic rock gigs.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

There's actually a set of Fat 50s for sale in the classifieds, and for what you're looking, I think Fat 50s fit the bill nicely (esp. for country and classic rock). I like noiseless sets okay, but I've never been happy enough with any set I've tried (yet) to ditch the good ole regular stuff.

Antstrat likes this.
  3. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

Lace gold

Swampash likes this.
  4. guitarguy1964

Thanks for those suggestions! I already have Strats with the Fat 50s and the Gold Lace Sensors. I like both of them and may very well go that route but I'm exploring to find something other than what I already have, a different flavor.

Also, I have other strats that have Texas Specials and I'm going to leave those be.

5. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Gotcha... well good thing is there are many excellent choices out there these days, so at least you have lots of options!

Good luck in the hunt! :)

guitarguy1964 likes this.
  6. rich815

rich815 Senior Stratmaster

CM Daugherty, if you can find them. I have his ‘55 and ‘59 Reissue sets in two of my strats. Terrific.

Otherwise consider the basic a5 Fender set that came with American Standards before Fat 50’s came along. Beautiful, classic and versatile.

7. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Fender CS69 Neck, Middle x Duncan SSL 1C DG/Twangbanger Bridge

Duncan SSL1 Neck/Middle. Duncan SSL 1C DG Bridge/Twangbanger

Ilitch Noise Reduction Pickguard with any of them, and Non Reverse Wound Middle pup.

Kinman Woodstock/Noiseless with K9 Wiring Harness for Noiseless. Or you may like 1 of his other sets, but go for the K9 Harness.

8. jmurphy4650

jmurphy4650 New Member!

I put a Mojotone '58 quiet coil loaded pick guard into my AVRI '62. Those pickups rip. They clean up super well, but also grit up and scream when pushed. I'm also really impressed with the pots and come installed with a treble bleed circuit that convinced to add that to my other strat. I would check out the Youtube vids. No noise but still sound like strat pups. IMG_20190302_181514.jpg

9. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

A set of Classic Stacks will do what you want...you can even split them, and in position 2 & 4 they will cancel noise.

10. guitarguy1964

I've never heard of those! I will have to check them out!
    Thanks!

Those have been high on my list! It's good to get a recommendation for them!

I'm very familiar with those pickups, again another good choice. I've got Seymour Duncans in several of my guitars and in my 15 years of retail I sold hundreds of them. Depending on what you do there Dave and how long you've been there I may have talked to you before. I did the buying for the store.

Seymour Duncan likes this.
  11. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Senior Stratmaster

If your pups are custom shop hand wound you can sell em at good price and get another custom shop hand wound set that are pircy but in that level nothing can really touch em.
    There is some Josefina Campos sets around $500 (new and used maybe a better price) and they are the real deal... for a CS guitar I wouldn’t get anything less than that. I know it is an expensive alternative but nothing gets close to that. I have am std strats and a classic player and they are awesome guitars, I’ve tried lollar, David Allen and Rose pups and they are awesome but for a CS strat I would take it up a Notch for sure...
    I’ll get the fat 50’s Josefina Campos hand wound... you can totally find them if you sell your current set...
    A student Had a Nash strat with lollars and it was really an ok guitar but a few months ago he got a good deal on a Josefina set and this guitar is straight up fender custom shop level...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    guitarguy1964 likes this.
  12. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Ever try a hybrid? A2 and A5's

Nate D and lineboat like this.
  13. lineboat

lineboat Senior Stratmaster

This! And THIS is the man to do it for you! Every Strat I play, I compare the tone to the Bodean set I have and 57/62’s. (57/62’s being the Classic Strat tone) Bodean set raising the bar!

Bodean likes this.
  14. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Strat-O-Master

I really like the Fender CS ‘69’s for cleans. They are a mid-scooped pickup with great low end presence and crisp high end chime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antstrat likes this.
  15. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

If you like the vintage noiseless you'll really like the hot noiseless even better, don't let the 'hot' scare you off they still sound stratty and clear.

Fat 50's are also an excellent choice as are the 69's.

16. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-O-Master

I put a loaded pickguard with a set of Dimarzio Areas in my Buddy Guy Strat, and I love the way they sound.

Particularly the middle pickup—which is odd, since I never used the middle pickup setting that often on a Strat before.

17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

What about the new Yosemite pickups? I think they are cheaper than Texas Specials, but may be different enough to be interesting. Anybody compare both?

18. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Lower them. A lot.
    Neck on the deck.
    Middle a hair above it.
    Bridge a little higher than middle.

Chont and Nate D like this.
  19. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I say go for a set of Duncan SL1s California Set, 57/62 or Vintage Noiseless for stellar clean tones.

Vintage Noiseless get my vote but many would argue the 57/62 or SL1 duncans are what your after.

Also have you considered the Pure Vintage 59 pups. Sound great from clips.

20. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Strat-Talker

Check out the Don Mare White-0-Tones (All 3 pickups are 5.7k Formvar Vintage coil Height, slight stagger, lower "G" as with all his sets).

I love my set. Just awesome!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.