Pickup wiring 'dead-ends'

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by skern49, Oct 24, 2020.

1. skern49

skern49 Strat-Talk Member

Hello everyone. I'm trying to come up with a wiring for a new pickup configuration I have and am confused about something. If the hot wire from a pickup goes through a switch and then to the volume pot, but along the way it connects to, for example, a jumper wire on the switch that leads to an unused/unconnected lug on the switch, is this bad? Does it bleed off high frequencies?

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

Do you have a sketch or photo of what you're talking about? I'm having trouble visualizing.

3. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

Image(s) is everything.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Yadda, YMMV...

4. skern49

Indeed I do. Here's the schematic (ignore everything in the top right) and here's the corresponding switch configuration cheat sheet. I have a split-single-coil in the neck which has a different hot wire for the treble and bass strings, a series humbucker in the bridge, two Mustang-style 3-way slider switches, a TRS jack and two volume pots (one for tip and one for ring).

Anyway, as an example of what I'm talking about, when the leftmost switch is set to the 1st position (right) and the rightmost switch is set to 3rd position (left), i.e. the first setting in the cheat sheet under "MONO" which is Bridge -> Tip, the signal comes from the pickup and makes its way to the volume pot but also gets sent through dead-end jumper cables. Here's the schematic but I highlighted the path to the pot in red and the dead-end path in green.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  5. skern49

Realizing that my last post was way more complicated than needed, here's a much simpler picture of what I'm talking about. Does the existence of the blue wire impact anything negatively, assuming the bottom lug is connected to nothing?

[​IMG]

6. Tremoluxer

Tremoluxer Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

As shown, it's a wire to nowhere. If it does connect to something it renders that side of the switch inoperable, no matter if the switch is 1) On On On 2) On Off On 3) On On (no center position), and in any position. I assume that the right leg of switch goes somewhere. Wherever it goes it's always connected to the left leg, the pot and the pickup.

What do you want the switch to do?

Switch Diagrams.png

7. skern49

I'm just curious if wires to nowhere cause problems by themselves when they are inline with the signal path. The situation is more complicated than the simple image I posted. I have a jumper wire that is necessary for some switch settings but in other settings the same jumper still connects to the signal path but leads nowhere (i.e. to a lug on the switch that is connected nowhere). Is this bad?

8. Dave Harmon

Dave Harmon Strat-Talker

In a word....no....not bad.
    This is a typical wiring technique used in the electronic world for a circuit that needs to be switched to change the circuit configuration.
    This is essentially what is happening on your switch.
    Not to worry....you're good....just play it.

skern49 likes this.
  9. Tremoluxer

Tremoluxer Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

I've wired up many oddball guitar circuits only to discover nothing beats a single 2-way, 3-way, 5-way, or no switch at all. It's fun figuring out how to wire a complex circuit and know it's going to work before you even plug in the soldering iron. I find it helps to write out a description of what you want the circuitry to accomplish, then draw a clear schematic -- for the initial wiring and for reference in case of mods or repair. The last thing you want to be doing at 3:00 AM is staring at the spaghetti in the control cavity wondering what it all means or "what was I #$%& thinking..." I graduated from the School of Learned It the Hard Way, btw.

skern49 likes this.
  10. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

What exactly are you trying to do? Exactly?!

Tremoluxer likes this.
  11. skern49

I have a bridge humbucker and a neck split-single-coil (one hot for treble strings, one hot for bass strings). It's a Mustang so I have two 3-way-sliders without doing any mods. I have a TRS jack but sometimes connect a TS plug for mono playing. I want the following options:

bridge → T
    bridge+neck → T
    neck → T

bridge → R
    bridge+neck → R
    neck → R

neck bass → T, neck treble → R
    neck bass → R, neck treble → T
    bridge → T, neck → R

I don't think it's possible with just the two switches. I have space on the control plate to install a 2- or 3-way slider. I can't use push-pull pots because I'm already using dual concentric pots. I have an idea which assumes the extra 2-way-slider; I'll try to get it drawn in DIY layout creator.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  12. skern49

Alright, here's what I came up with.

[​IMG]

Without involving the DPDT, the two 3-ways give me

bridge → T [switch A right, switch B left]
    bridge+neck → T [switch A middle, switch B right]
    neck → T [switch A left, switch B right]
    neck bass → T, neck treble → R [switch A left, switch B middle]
    bridge → T, neck → R [switch A middle, switch B middle]

(...and some other garbage). Then when the DPDT is flipped, all the T's and R's get switched, giving me

bridge → R
    bridge+neck → R
    neck → R
    neck bass → R, neck treble → T
    bridge → R, neck → T

The switching isn't efficient/logical whatsoever but it works.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  13. skern49

in the small chance that anyone was going to spend time thinking about the schematic in my previous post, please don't, as I've since scrapped it.

thanks for all the help everyone!