Pickups for a newbie

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by lGritty, Oct 27, 2020.

1. lGritty

lGritty Strat-Talk Member

Hello everybody! This being my first post here, let me thank everybody for the astonishing amount of info I've been able to find on the forum.
    I'm currently about to purchase a '96 ST 62 in shell pink, for which I'm super pumped. It's going to be my first strat and I've been chewing thorough Rabea Massaad's and Mick Taylor's strat vlogs on YouTube trying to source some inspiration for the pups that I'm going to put inside my guitar (The seller has already said he would prefer not to sell those already in, given they are custom wound by his luthier.).

Now the question is, what pickups am I going to buy?

I'm 21 and I didn't have the chance to listen to any real good strat live, so I don't really have any reference to base myself upon. However, thanks to YT I think I've gotten to a point where I at least know what I don't like.
    I'm quite convinced the two main varaibles for me are going to be output and high end response. I don't like hot pickups and I really don't like the nasal timbre that some pickups seem to have, especially in the high end.

I also don't really know the market nor the options at my disposal. Budget is not necessarily an issue, I'll just save up for a little bit longer if needed, but please keep mind that this is not for professional use.

To wrap it up, if you have any suggestion about a 60ish set of pickups that I should check out, then I'd be glad to hear it. I know this is going to result in option paralysis given the amount of sets available, but I really don't like the idea of buying something without knowing the market, so come at me ahah.

Thank you very much, this forum really fuels a lot of people's passion and that's really quite impressive.

bluesguy62, TheDireStrat and JUlls12 like this.
  2. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

Welcome to the forum! People will most likely suggest- and they are good suggestions!- fender vintage style pickups, especially Custom Shop 69 or 57/62 which are both awesome. There is also the fat fifties or 54 pickups but to me, the 69 are the best 60s chime you can get. Either of these will be a great choice!

Morf2540 and EC Strat like this.
  3. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

By the way, would love some pics of that shell pink goodness :thumb:

EC Strat and RobZ69 like this.
  4. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-O-Master

I can’t offer much help about the pickups but I just wanted to say it’s a great choice of guitar. I’ve had a ‘96 ST62 since 96 and they’re absolutely rock solid, beautifully built guitars. It was my main guitar until about 2 years ago, I only really looked for a new guitar because the frets were so worn down on it.
    But back to the pickups, I have Texas specials in mine which sound amazing but a little mid heavy, I thing something more traditional like the 57/62 would be a good fit for you.

BailsGAS and lGritty like this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I've had my MIJ since '96 and it still has the pickups it came with. I would play it for a while and get to know what it can do before I changed anything.

6. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-Talker

I think he mentioned that the seller will likely keep the current pickups in it, so he won’t have any pickups at first, or did I read that wrong?

BailsGAS, Cali Dude and lGritty like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

I'm honestly not sure. I wouldn't buy a guitar without the pickups, or if I didn't like the sound it makes with the ones it has.

8. lGritty

Thanks man, I'll be sure to check out the 69s as well as the 57/62 as I have already heard great things about them

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    BailsGAS likes this.
  9. lGritty

I hope I'll have some nice pics asap ahah

FrieAsABird likes this.
  10. lGritty

I'm glad the originals sound great but unfortunately I won't get them with the guitar. I have considered sourcing an set of the pickups that would have come with the the guitar but I'm afraid I would be overpaying them, wouldn't I?

11. lGritty

You are correct man, no pickups are included in the deal

FrieAsABird likes this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

In that case, I would stick a set of Tonerider Pure Vintage in it. £80 and as good as anything else.

[​IMG]

VespaRally, bluesguy62 and Stonetone like this.
  13. lGritty

I know it's kind of unusual but I'm getting a good deal on the guitar and have the time to source my own set. Plus, I have no intention to sell the guitar so residuals and originality are not a concern. I've also heard the guitar with the custom set in and it sounded mega, so I just have to find a nice set andI'll be good to go ;)

JUlls12 likes this.
  14. lGritty

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll be sure to check them out and listen to a few demos

15. lGritty

Chime is what I'm looking for, so the 69 are definetely a candidate

16. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Word Of advice, Beware the Pickup Rabbit Hole ......

[​IMG]

17. lGritty

Ahah! I'm afraid it's already too late for me :(
    Jokes aside, I know there's a lot of time to be wasted here, I'm just trying to source some info before pulling the trigger

18. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Well You will get Plenty of great advice Here Many Many Knowledgeable Folks Here On this Forum :thumb:

The thing is that its to hard to quantify, your gear will be different, your room acoustics will be different and also your hearing, and Playing Technique will be very different than all the folks who suggest you a certain pickup, so that's where the rabbit hole is dangerous, if you pull the trigger on a pickup after you have received so many suggestion and turns out you may not like the pickup, then you will say hmm maybe i should have went with fishmans instead of the Dimarzio and so so and so on ....
    Remember Pickups of the same type like a single coil there wont be a drastic change in tone and anything you may find lacking can be corrected with your amp EQ or an external EQ pedal
    but thats my thinking ;)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

You ain't seen nothin' yet kid. :D

What my guitars sound like depends more on what I'm playing, than which guitar/pickup I'm using.

20. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

+1 on the '69's. I recently installed one in the neck position of one of my strat-like objects and I really like the result.

lGritty likes this.