Pigs (Three Different Ones) - Pink Floyd

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
I've had my eye on doing this one for a while and was feeling ambitious so I decided to give it a try. I thought for a long while how I'd handle this one. I don't have a talk box effect and thought about using a wah. There are also many overdubs which I considered. In the end I ended up recording 2 main guitars: one the rhythm parts and the other has various fills and solos.

I didn't end up using a wah for the middle solo and just improvised a few lines with some heavy delay...maybe too heavy lol. In the end I pared things down to spare my computer's CPU as the video would have been tough to render at this length and with more than 2 videos playing simultaneously. That said, I did record a 3rd guitar for some accents during the middle part.

I kept the rhythm guitar reasonably close to the recording although I didn't get too precious with getting all the nuances exact. The lead guitar is mostly just winging it and trying to capture the spirit of the song. To my ears, none of the solos are so distinct that I had to learn them as recorded. There are a few spots I'm sort of "meh" about but at this length and trying to record a single performance, I wasn't up for another take lol. It's a long one so take it into the porcelain office if you're going to be there for a while. ;)

The backing track is another from Karaoke-Version. Given all that's going on, they did a pretty damn good job IMO.

Pigs (Three Different Ones) - Pink Floyd

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
Absolutely brilliant... I bow to your talent Sir !

Very well done and a nice listen... good work dude !

StratMike10

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Apr 8, 2010
Florida
This is no ordinary cover... with British prog you know it's gonna be a big commitment in time, memory, and in covering new ground. Sounds like your sound guy got the message, that was blistering, just like it needed to be IMO.
As much as I've listened to the original before, never realized how guitar intensive it is, you really nailed the feel Ralph.
That was beautifully done man, fantastic playing, timing, and mixing.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Thanks guys for listening to what was a really long one. This leaves only Dogs for me to cover from the main 3 songs off of Animals. That one will take a bit longer as I want to learn that one much closer to the original than I did here. Plus I don't have an acoustic guitar lol. I'll get to it eventually.

You house town proud mouse :D
Holy…………….$”it
Thanks for posting this !!!!
Beautiful man
Just Beautiful

Ha! I couldn't help but think about that line while doing this. Thanks my friend.

Jesus that was awesome listened to it 2 times back to back
man Ralph you just nailed it, just simply awesome once again.....
thanks for sharing my friend
:thumb:

Thanks Mike. While the lead part is fun to play, for me the real meat and the fun part is in the rhythm parts.

Fantastic stuff Mouse - loved your playing and your tone!

Thanks Cartick!

Absolutely brilliant... I bow to your talent Sir !

Very well done and a nice listen... good work dude !

Thanks Eric. No bowing necessary. It's long but it's not terribly complex and something many here could do as well.

Great! That song changed my entire musical life, the rest of the Animals album too.

Thanks! Same here. This was among my first 10 albums and the very first Pink Floyd album I owned (I couldn't afford the then new Wall double album lol). Dogs has long been my favorite Pink Floyd song and now that I'm in the latter stages of my business career, lyrically it rings true more than ever!

Holy cow! that was awesome Ralph!!!

Thank you Monte. Like I always tell you, those who can create do what you do. Those who can't do what I do. :D

This is no ordinary cover... with British prog you know it's gonna be a big commitment in time, memory, and in covering new ground. Sounds like your sound guy got the message, that was blistering, just like it needed to be IMO.
As much as I've listened to the original before, never realized how guitar intensive it is, you really nailed the feel Ralph.
That was beautifully done man, fantastic playing, timing, and mixing.

Thanks Mike. Truth be told it's not a particularly difficult song. Take the rhythm guitar. There are only a few progressions you need to learn as they repeat over and over.

Then you look at the lead guitar. Add a few volume swells during the verses and double stop fills during the choruses and you've nailed 90% of that guitar's work. The solos I just winged other than the beginning of the outro solo. What you're hearing on that guitar is the first take after a practice run through. The hardest part is just remembering all that stuff over 11+ minutes but technically it's not terribly difficult.

This would have been fun to do with my old band as we could have also had a guitar do the intro and other keyboard parts in favor of the swells.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
This is why I have a Ralph/mouse poster on the wall in my room. :)

That was simply great Ralph.

LOL...thanks Ron. The thought of myself as a poster is making even me a little queasy. :D

That was absolutely awesome!! You nailed it! Did you play the bass also? Because that was great also.

At the risk of repeating myself, that was bloody awesome!!! @Chont check this out!

Thank you GNS. You know, after I put this all together I was sort of regretting not doing the bass guitar as well. I have a cheap Squier short scale which I haven't pulled out in years and those bass lines are so damn tasty! Not surprising too since I believe it was Gilmour who recorded the bass on this one.

Damn that was awesome!! Nice job capturing the spirit of the tune! That outro solo was amazing. Can't believe that's all one take!

Hey! Good to see you Squid. Appreciate the listen and thank you! Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment with these recordings as I'd rather have a less than perfect "performance" than a more perfect version where I punch everything in. Emphasis on the "less than perfect" comment as there were a couple of "yikes" moments throughout but close enough for rock and roll I guess lol.

I've always said that if you're seeking perfection, there are many better players than I. But for someone maybe a little less experienced than I am, I like to think my videos might be a more realistic inspiration as nothing I do is out of reach for your average basement dwelling guitar hobbyist. :D

dbb541

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 14, 2010
Eugene
Awesome. There are some seriously talented people on here. You're one of them. Well done! One of my all time favorite songs and albums.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Man, I LOVED that!
I need to listen again through a bigger speaker! The phone speaker just and cutting it:)
Great Job, Mouse! You never disappoint :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks! Stick around and I'm sure I'll prove you wrong! :D

Absolutely amazing!!! Chapeau!!
I love that song and your cover is so great!! Congrats and thanks for sharing.

eloi

Merci! Many thanks for listening.

Awesome. There are some seriously talented people on here. You're one of them. Well done! One of my all time favorite songs and albums.

Thank you and I agree. I genuinely get a kick out of hearing the talent this site offers. These days it's my only exposure to other players since time doesn't really permit me to be in a band at the moment. With 100% certainty I can say I'd not have progressed as much as I have over the last 9 years or so without the guidance and support of a lot of talented folks here.