Join Strat-Talk Today

Plane finally flew, worst flight ever had

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by jaybones, Feb 14, 2019.

1. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Needed to get over to the mainland to get some stuff done.

After past couple days of not flying there was a lot of pent up demand, and early flights were full.

Had a seat on the noon plane (Piper 26 - 28), with 2 other passengers. The pilot said we should wear our seatbelts, which I always do.

Wish he'd said it was going to be especially bumpy, and the belts should be tight.

As soon as we lifted off it was the roughest ride I've ever been on. Plane dropped out from under me (I was lifted entirely off the seat), slammed against the door next to me then tossed the other way across the seat (luckily there was nobody there).

Couldn't get my hand down to tighten the belt. Never been airsick, but came close.

Once landed I got some gingerale and crackers to settle my stomach.

But there was finally mail. Have a package at the post office I'll get tomorrow.

2. Vic Interceptor

Vic Interceptor Strat-Talker

do they not have boats daily? Ferrys? Other than the fishing and view, is there any reason to live on an island in Ohio? Until this moment, I had no idea Ohio even HAD islands! Very interesting..... sorry for your discomfort.

Groovey and Boognish like this.
  3. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

I've had some bad flights, but nothing like you've described. And...look on the bright side;

you have now probably had the worst flight of your life and every one from now on will pale in comparison, no matter how bad it is.

I'm not familiar with the plane you were on..a Piper 26-28?

apm1991, T Bone Slort and RnR Nolan like this.
  4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Ugh. I thought my last flight from SFO to Paris was bad - pretty bad turbulence (but not as violent as yours) that went on for hours, it seemed. Just when you thought it was over it would start up again. I'm not a fearful flyer but I spent most of that 9-hour flight with white knuckles...

johnnymg and rolandson like this.
  5. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

My sister is a captain for ... a large airline... and speaks of one night trying to land in horrible conditions...the kind where the plane is pointed west while landing to the south...flying sideways.

After two failed attempts, with a plane full of terrified passengers, she got on the intercom and asked (rhetorically) if they would mind terribly landing somewhere else and everyone chipping in to rent a bus.

The passengers erupted into applause and cheers. She had more marriage proposals in one night...One from a member of the Senate...who promised that if the airline gave her any trouble for diverting the flight, that he'd have her back.

As it turned out, the FAA closed that airport for the duration of the storm just after she said "fu** it, we're going someplace else..."

Apparently passengers aren't the only one's who get scared ...

6. CountryGent

CountryGent Strat-Talker

Tricky - I'm not a fan of flying but know it's safe etc. One time on a 707 from Gemany to London, we hit mild turbulance, it felt like the aircraft was dropping like a stone from beneath us. I just about coped with that, it was the deathly silince from the passengers that chilled me :eek:
    I was thankful no-one started screaming.

I do admire pilots, they must experince this sort of thing all the time and better still, know how to deal with it. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that for some pilots it makes for a good (interesting/exciting) flight, otherwise it just becomes another boring routine job.
    Anyway, glad you were safe.

johnnymg and rolandson like this.
  7. CeltRocka

CeltRocka Senior Stratmaster

I always look at the cabin staff. If they look scared then.....:eek:

johnnymg, RnR Nolan and Mansonienne like this.
  8. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I've experienced turbulence on a transatlantic flight once that threw us all over the place, just being restrained by the seatbelts. This was followed by what felt like driving over corrugated iron and then the fast moving lift (elevator) sensation.

It's a common occurrence and not frightening but very, very uncomfortable.

People pay a fortune to do similar in theme parks. :rolleyes:

9. Sangetsu

Sangetsu Strat-Talker

I remember flying from Dallas to Narita, where a typhoon was blowing through. The turbulence was horrible for the last hour of the flight, and got even worse as we were forced to orbit the airport.

As a former paratrooper, I have spent a lot of time in airplanes in all kinds of weather, and have barfed many times, but no flight was as bad as that flight Narita. There were people throwing up into airsickness bags, and others lined up at the toilets, despite the seatbelt sign being lit.

The plane finally began its final descent, and I could see trees below bending over from the wind. At that point I would have preferred crashing than staying on that flight. The plane came down almost sideways, but was blown off track, but came back. It was blown off again, this time much farther, the pile laid on the throttles and aborted the landing.

We were diverted to Osaka, which meant another hour on the plane, and those who had managed to hold down their in-flight meals used up the rest of the airsickness bags. I was green as a pickle, from the turbulence and the smell in the cabin, but managed to keep everything inside. I wish my stomach had been that tough in my Army days.

10. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

830BCEC9-DDDC-490D-8AC8-DD00EE6A5B3B.jpeg
    This posting has turned into something else, so I have to try to top other stories. Because I’m not a gifted player, life stories are my personal gift.

Once upon a time, and many years ago, on holiday in Florida for a few weeks with one of my ex wife’s.

I love flying and am fascinated by sharks. On the morning of my story, I was reading the local newspaper whilst enjoying a short stack, bacon, eggs and orange juice. The lead story told of numerous sightings of large great white sharks coming close to shore as a result of unusual weather conditions, that where encouraging their food of choice to come in close to the shoreline.

On the previous day, on the drive into Marathon Key, I had noted a sign advertising pleasure flights in a 1930’s Wako bi-plane. Not being inclined to sit on the beach with an ice cream, I decided that I (we) would take a flight to see if we could see the sharks from the sky. She wasn’t keen but that’s the way it was going to be! Apparently, it was against the terms of his permit to fly passengers out to see, but I managed to get him to agree. And, after no safety demonstrations, leather helmets fitted and belts on tight, off we flew into the clear blue sky.

I’m going to give you my abridged version of the story in an attempt to keep you interested.

We flew out to sea for a couple of miles during which time the pilot pointed out images in the water below, which I assume were sharks. From 500 ft it’s difficult for the untrained eyes to tell but that’s what he was suggesting. As we turned a marker bouy to return to the airfield, I heard a strange sound from the engine. It was a sound that I had often hear when the lawn mower is about to run out of fuel.

Yes, you have it. The pilot tapped me on the shoulder and said “we have a problem”, not what I was hoping for, but not much time to digest his message before a second, more attention grabbing tap to say “we’re going down”!

And we did:eek:

I’m conscious of taking up too much time with my story. If you want to learn more I will continue to tell what happened after.:oops:

CigBurn and T Bone Slort like this.
  11. CountryGent

CountryGent Strat-Talker

:eek:... this has been going round my mind.. think for a moment about the people with whom we entrust our lives.
    A surgeon vs. a pilot for example. If the surgeon gets it wrong it's "next patient please" whereas a pilot has a vested interest. :thumb:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    jaybones and ukoldgit like this.
  12. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

One time and I can't believe I survived it, the peanuts they gave me were stale.. Stale!!

johnnymg and JB74 like this.
  13. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Turbulence isn't the only scary thing that happens to Aircraft, when I was working in Qatar in the 80s we had an Iclandic cargo B707 that had gone through a hail storm because his weather radar was US, the aircaft was battered to buggery with 4" cup dents in the aielerons and wing leading edges, engine cowlings, nose cone and tail fin, the windscreen was also starred big time.
    The pilot said he thought the hailstones were around 3 kg but couldn't get an accurate size before the screen was hit, he had to land it with his head out of the DV window shouting instructions to the co-pilot who was piloting it.
    The picture below is an example (not the actual plane i am describing) but it was a lot worse than the damage shown on this one:eek:
    [​IMG]

14. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Bit like holding onto the dentists nuts when he's drilling your teeth:D

T Bone Slort likes this.
  15. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I really dont like planes that much...

sometimes they are super smooth, other times no so much

flying out of toronto on the lake is always a bumpy take off.. so much wind coming from the water.. the plane hops and bounces for a good 20 mins before finally getting up high enough to level out.

I hate holding onto the bottom of my seat just so I can feel some sort of gravity.

This is why.. if I can.. I will take the train. I dont care if its 3 hours longer. I dont care if its 6 hours longer.. I just enjoy the train.

T Bone Slort likes this.
  16. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Have had many many terrible flights due to weather, but one stands out and it wasn't even the air time....it was the landing.

Flying from Chicago to Philadelphia, nice flight all was going well....when we came in for the landing , I guess the pilot thought we were down, but to his and 150 of his closest friends was a huge surprise....

We dropped about 5-10 feet and hit the runway hard...and I mean hard...you could hear a pin drop after we hit the gound

Couple of seconds later, the pilot came over the intercom and apoligized for the rough landing stating that he miscalculated....

my coworker said in a pretty loud voice.....no S..t..... laughter ensued by everyoneon the plane...

17. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

18. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

19. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

My ex-wife and I flew on a 19 seat prop-jet into Amarillo on Continental. This was not disclosed. I expected a normal jet of course. The flight was very expensive. I was in the lone middle seat on the back row and I could see out the cockpit window.

It was sleeting straight sideways when we landed. The plane was bucking like a bronc. My ex wife and I literally said goodbye to each other and I literally kissed the ground when we landed safely.

Then we had to drive for hours in the sleet!

20. nungesser

nungesser When I became of age my momma sat me down Strat-Talk Supporter

small general aviation aircraft this is a Piper PA-26 I used to wrench on a couple of these
    Piper_PA 26.jpg

rolandson likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.