Planning vacation ahead... USA help needed

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Mipstoo, Apr 9, 2018.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Wow really? There is some amazing and interesting history in the US. It may not be the oldest but definitely not in short supply. Out of all the things that have happened, your one recommendation would be ghost towns? I’m absolutely amazed by that.

abnormaltoy and guitarface like this.
  2. ras1500

ras1500 Strat-Talker

If you get near Phoenix, Arizona the Musical Instrument Museum is worth visiting. Plan on four hours to see everything.

Mesaman, abnormaltoy and Mipstoo like this.
  3. nungesser

nungesser crash into your windshield of love

Mono Lake east of Yosemite and Bodie Ghost Town just north of Mono Lake, in fact the whole of Highway 395 along the east side of the Sierras, great turn off's to lakes and rivers, Alabama Hills big boulder land were 100's of movies and commercials have been shot.

4. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

Route 66 springs to mind, Monument Valley, Austin TX, Joshua Tree National Park, PCH Highway, Hoover Dam, maybe Death Valley (just to say you were there- worked with some Bulgarian exchange students in 2000 who wanted to take a road trip from here. Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, LA, San Francisco and Seattle, then back to New York to fly home in a week and a half. I told them it can't be done, unless they just wanted to drive past those places. And why did they want to go to Death Valley- "Just to say we were there." They did it, 5 guys in a 2 door Dodge Omni that one of them had bought. The one guy Simon was 6'7" and didn't have an international driver's license, and he was in the back seat across Death Valley. Asked him how it was, and he said "Man, it was F'ing HOT!! Spent hours cramped in the backseat. We hadn't been able to take showers in a couple days, and it SUCKED!!").

There's probably some nice guitar shops in Austin and I know there's a decent music scene there.

abnormaltoy and Mipstoo like this.
  5. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Yes, we did Mono Lake and Bodie on our way to Yosemite... ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

If you are travelling the Southwest then I highly recommend visiting "Hells Canyon" if you search the web you will see the beauty there. Several awesome places for camping with Large RVs, jet boat trips on the Snake river, best fishing in Idaho. I have takin tons of beautiful pictures of the hells canyon area. Here is a just a taste of what you can see....
    100_0362.JPG 100_0360.JPG 100_0361.JPG

7. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-O-Master

Looks like you've already seen a lot. What time of year are thinking of going?

8. Mipstoo

Yeah, most of those places I visited last time.
    Didn't do Route 66, but Monument Valley (pic 4&5), Joshua Tree National Park (pic1), Hoover Dam and Death Valley were all nice. Some nice sunsets and sunrises. Death Valley I spend the sunrise alone in the sand dunes... Unforgettable...

West Coast Idea and abnormaltoy like this.
  9. nungesser

nungesser crash into your windshield of love

cool!
    at least we get some great shots when we mention a location, Thanks!

10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

I also highly recommend Baker City Oregon and Sumpter Oregon. The Sumpter Valley dredge and railroad is very cool.

11. Mipstoo

Still undecided, I'm also not sure if I'm going to visit places for a second time.
    I think I would like to do Yellowstone, but as said, would like to see Texas and Louisiana as well... I need to limit driving somewhat with three kids. Last time we did over 5000 miles...

West Coast Idea and abnormaltoy like this.
  12. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Stratosaurus Magnificus Platinum Supporting Member

I would second @thomquietwolf - In '96, Wifey & I flew to San Francisco and drove along the coast all the way to Vancouver BC. Took us two weeks. Spectacular.

Also, a Washington D.C. to Philly, to NYC, to Boston vacation trip would be nice too.

13. tommytele

tommytele Senior Stratmaster

Big Sur should be on the bucket list now that the bridges are up and running

14. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Lot of Funky Schtuff in the norther Basin
    RT1s.jpg RT2s.jpg

Mipstoo and abnormaltoy like this.
  15. jimbojo

jimbojo Senior Stratmaster

If you are gonna do the South West, Route 66 or at least what is left of it. In NM see, Golden, Madrid then Santa Fe. If you make it to Santa Fe check out the Loreto Chapel and the San Miguel Mission (oldest church in the US), and make sure and eat at Tomasita's, very authentic NM cuisine. Off of route 66 you can head north to the 4 corners, Chaco Canyon, the Anasazi ruins in Aztec and up to Durango. Just a fee suggestions.

Mipstoo and abnormaltoy like this.
  16. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

I live in AZ (not a fan), BUT, there are some beautiful landscapes and views (I just get tired of no rain). The Grand Canyon, Moab, the nat'l parks in Utah, all gorgeous.

In New Mexico...Chaco Canyon is pretty interesting.

Texas...part of Texas is in the South and part in the SW...Alpine, Big Bend, the hill country in spring.

I don't know if Colorado is SW but a drive through the Rockies is awesome.

Old West, but not SW? The Black Hills are also beautiful as are the vast plains the grasslands of the Dakotas.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Mipstoo likes this.
  17. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

18. Mipstoo

Thanks for the info guys. A lot of places that we visited last trip came up. So apparently we did good ;)

I think most misunderstood me somewhat, although the kids prefer the "Wild" West, I think we would rather go from South East, up to somewhere... Across the country. I was hoping for more info of lesser known places, towns, parks and cities.

And definitely less hiking, so nature is not a must.

19. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Well... the North East has a lot to offer as well. There’s certainly a lot of History in Philadelphia PA it being the birthplace of our country. There’s also Gettysburg if Civil War History peaks your interest. Of course there’s NYC and Boston. Up further into Maine there’s Bar Harbor which is really nice and fresh lobster is in abundance. Niagara Falls?

Good luck.

20. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

For grandeur...
    There's always the Bob wilderness.
    Only place more grand...
    Canadian Rockies...