"Play authentic"?

Whitster

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 27, 2021
Seattle area
Nice try Mark but I'm gonna chalk this up as a fail.

When Epiphone can build and sell an instrument that's all of 90% or more as good for 1/3 of the price and Epiphone having been around for a very long time is no less "authentic" your pleas fall on deaf ears around my house.

I'll grant you that Gibson does produce some exceptional instruments but more typically their prices are exceptional as well. I know it's tough to sell based on value but "authenticity". Come on man. That's just more Gibson arrogance.

Any # of Japanese manufacturers do it as good or better than Gibson, with better materials and for less cost. And I own MANY Gibsons. I also own many MIJ's. Any Fujigen made MIJ (they have made guitars for many guitar companies e.g. Greco, Ibanez, Gretsch (most are made at Terada but there are some Fujigen Gretsch) , and of course FENDER Japan and Orville (Gibson's Japanese marketed guitars) comes out with near flawless QC (unlike Gibson) and I have (for example) MIJ customs with Ebony (vs Richlite), Honduran Mahogany, Brazilian Rosewood, etc. which you have to mortgage your house and donate your firstborn to get in a Gibson guitar these days.

Look, I love Gibson and they have made awesome guitars, but plenty others do it just as well or better...

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Any # of Japanese manufacturers do it as good or better than Gibson, with better materials and for less cost. And I own MANY Gibsons. I also own many MIJ's. Any Fujigen made MIJ (they have made guitars for many guitar companies e.g. Greco, Ibanez, Gretsch (most are made at Terada but there are some Fujigen Gretsch) , and of course FENDER Japan and Orville (Gibson's Japanese marketed guitars) comes out with near flawless QC (unlike Gibson) and I have (for example) MIJ customs with Ebony (vs Richlite), Honduran Mahogany, Brazilian Rosewood, etc. which you have to mortgage your house and donate your firstborn to get in a Gibson guitar these days.

Look, I love Gibson and they have made awesome guitars, but plenty others do it just as well or better...

Funny how you say this but Gibson also has a custom shop. So which ones are you comparing? Epiphone vs low end Gibson, maybe you have a argument. Better materials, that’s debatable.

soulman969

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO

:thumb:

Which kinda goes to my point about "authenticity" if the idea is that it only befits a real Gibson. But it is old news and long since clarified with the understanding that's not a road Gibson should travel again when marketing their products.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
HE’S NOT TALKING ABOUT EPIPHONE.

Any Gibson trademarks used by epiphone are fully authorized and licensed. That is not what he’s talking about.

I don't think they have to license things to Epiphone, since Epiphone is just another brand owned and built by Gibson. It's not a company, it hasn't been since 1957. It's just Gibson. Much like Squier is part of FMIC. A 1956 Epiphone may also be authentic, but it's not a Gibson.

He's also not talking about Gibson Baldwin or Gibson Maestro--which were designed to compete against First Act guitars in box stores. He's pretending that didn't happen. But those are authentic Gibson guitars, too. They certainly don't have the quality you'd expect from a $2500 Gibson.

Packrat

Strat-Talker
Jun 19, 2021
Arizona
Give the guy a break! It's not easy keeping the Fonzi legacy alive. And if he were true to his image he'd be hawking Harleys rather than insisting that "only a Gibby is good enough". Heeeyyy.....