"Play authentic"?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by felis, Sep 27, 2021.

1. Whitster

Whitster Strat-Talk Member

Any # of Japanese manufacturers do it as good or better than Gibson, with better materials and for less cost. And I own MANY Gibsons. I also own many MIJ's. Any Fujigen made MIJ (they have made guitars for many guitar companies e.g. Greco, Ibanez, Gretsch (most are made at Terada but there are some Fujigen Gretsch) , and of course FENDER Japan and Orville (Gibson's Japanese marketed guitars) comes out with near flawless QC (unlike Gibson) and I have (for example) MIJ customs with Ebony (vs Richlite), Honduran Mahogany, Brazilian Rosewood, etc. which you have to mortgage your house and donate your firstborn to get in a Gibson guitar these days.

Look, I love Gibson and they have made awesome guitars, but plenty others do it just as well or better...

Cerb and soulman969 like this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Meh. I made it to 1:09...and, have three Epiphones in my inventory. That's enough:whistling:.

rolandson and Cerb like this.
  3. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Funny how you say this but Gibson also has a custom shop. So which ones are you comparing? Epiphone vs low end Gibson, maybe you have a argument. Better materials, that’s debatable.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

:thumb:

Which kinda goes to my point about "authenticity" if the idea is that it only befits a real Gibson. But it is old news and long since clarified with the understanding that's not a road Gibson should travel again when marketing their products.

Cerb likes this.
  5. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

HE’S NOT TALKING ABOUT EPIPHONE.

Any Gibson trademarks used by epiphone are fully authorized and licensed. That is not what he’s talking about.

Neil.C, Stratoskater and Cerb like this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

I know you're in NJ and it can get loud there at times but there's no need to shout.

We get it. Opinion recorded.

rolandson likes this.
  7. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

I don't think they have to license things to Epiphone, since Epiphone is just another brand owned and built by Gibson. It's not a company, it hasn't been since 1957. It's just Gibson. Much like Squier is part of FMIC. A 1956 Epiphone may also be authentic, but it's not a Gibson.

He's also not talking about Gibson Baldwin or Gibson Maestro--which were designed to compete against First Act guitars in box stores. He's pretending that didn't happen. But those are authentic Gibson guitars, too. They certainly don't have the quality you'd expect from a $2500 Gibson.

8. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

Just saw this.

He seems angry and on meth.

Hope he didn’t stab anyone after.

rolandson, StratoMutt and fezz parka like this.
  9. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Or a lot of coffee.

rolandson and Antstrat like this.
  10. Packrat

Packrat Strat-Talker

Give the guy a break! It's not easy keeping the Fonzi legacy alive. And if he were true to his image he'd be hawking Harleys rather than insisting that "only a Gibby is good enough". Heeeyyy.....

Intune and rolandson like this.