Played an Epiphone LP at GC tonight

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Malikon, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

I know I know, I swore I'd never step foot back in that place after they lied on the phone about the CV's, but I needed strings so....

anyway picked up a neat looking TSB Paul and was checking it out, looked pretty neat so I took it over to the amps, (Marshall MG, sounded very blegh!) Anyway it was an interesting feeling, nothing like a Strat and I guess the fretboard radius is around 12 or so because it felt really weird. Also the volume knob was jammed down so deep into the guitar you couldn't turn it more then 1/4 turn, I didn't want to mess with it anymore because I thought the knob might dig into the finish. It looked nice though, polished up and no scratches. Not sure if they just unboxed it because usually guitars don't seem to look quite that new and shiny at GC. I still think I'm gonna go with an Agile but I'm still not 100% sure, other then the volume knob issue I didn't really see anything wrong with it but I was in a hurry and didn't really put it through all the paces. Just checked it over, played a bit and checked intonation, which was pretty spot on. Interesting the tag said $479. and it didn't seem to be on sale, that seemed to be it's normal price, curious why Sweetwater has the same guitar for $549. I thought all the companies pretty much had the same prices on the same guitars.

anyway went to the counter to buy some Fender Bullets and wouldn't you know? That's the one set of strings they were out of, had been since last month the guy said. Typical of my luck, lol. He kept trying to sell me picks and joking around that did I have a guitar to put the strings on. I know he was joking but at the same time I felt like, "just ring up the damn strings man." I hate how they try and be cute whenever I bring my girl with me.

Anyway picked up some Ernie Ball Hybrids, curious to see how they do. Hopefully it doesn't cause any undue stress on my guitar necks being the hybrids, though I like the idea of a fatter low end string.

All in all though after playing Strats for years and never touching a Paul in that time I was surprised how weird it felt. I think I could get used to it but it'll take some time. They're just not very comfortable.

With my back being kinda messed up though I think it might come down to which is the lighter guitar, the Epiphone or the Agile. I think the Agiles are nicer but I know they're 10lb guitars, if the Epiphone is closer to the Strat weight I'm used to (between 5-7lbs?) I'll probably go with that and just upgrade the pickups and bridge.

Another interesting GC experience, lol. I can't believe out of a friggin WALL of strings, the one brand of strings I wanted was the ones they're out of, lol.

Oh yeah, they had a B-52 half stack on sale for like $500. bucks, seemed like a cool price for a half stack, but I didn't get to play it so who knows how it sounds, looked neat though. I didn't like the Marshall MG at all. Very harsh and digital sounding imo.

2. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

Hey man, I feel your pain on the whole LP issue. By the way, you will love Ernie Ball strings. They bring the best out in a strat. Never tried Hybrids, but I like regular.

I just bought a Gibson Studio LP from GC about three weeks ago, but I had to return it because some unexpected bills came up and I couldn't justify having a Gibby laying around the house when I have a wonderful PRS SC245 (that is the LP Style guitar to get ma' friend).

The Gibson had a few issues. It was brand new out of the box and never touched. I would NEVER buy a piece of crap they have hanging on the wall because they have tarnished hardware and people bang the crap out of them. The knobs on the Gibby were all "unlevel" and it wouldn't stay in tune worth a crap. Sounded SUPERB, but sometimes I need more than sound out of a guitar.

I have struggled with just buying an Epiphone or Agile on Ebay, but my SC245 really gives me what I need...I just hate playing a $2000+ guitar at gigs where it could get damaged.

The guys at my GC are great. They can be a little rude or "joking" when they first get to know you, but I clearly know more about strats than they do, so I just start asking questions about fretboard radius, electronics, pickups, and finish types and they cry for the manager. Every now and then one will know their stuff, but for the most part they are just harmless guys who needed a job. The sales manager at my GC wants me to come work for them because I know more about the models than they do lol.

All that being said, I'd still go with Epiphone, but remember, if GC has it for $479, then Sweetwater will match that price, and musiciansfriend will give you %10 of the difference. You can ALWAYS talk a salesman down at least 10% so go back into GC, tell the guy that something is wrong with the knob and you like the guitar and you will pay cash TODAY if he knocks %10 off.....works everytime, but you HAVE to be serious about buying it.

3. 67Strat

67Strat Strat-Talker

I don't like GC. Now that that's out of the way I'll chime in about LP's. I've owned many, from old Japanese copies to newer CS models to my current very sweet MIJ Epi Standard and I really can't get into the feel and shape of the guitar. Still something about the LP makes me want to keep one around and once in a while if I'm recording stuff I need that sound. But for pleasure playing I avoid the darn things. As a Strat man I will say the SG is my prefered Gibby.

4. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist

Heard good recommendations on the Hybrids. What were you using before ? 10's 9's?

5. T-Bodz Terry B.

T-Bodz Terry B. Most Honored Senior Member

I tried some Ernie Ball Hybrids out a couple of months ago on one of my Strats and
    ended up putting my usual Super Slinky's back on it after a month of trying it.

6. Shades of Blue

Ernie Ball Strings just do something for a strat...the bends sound better IMHO

7. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

me too. love the feel of a nice SG with super low action. i just wish Xaviere and/or Rondo made SG copies.

8. Shades of Blue

I've never played an SG...I can't get past the looks...but, maybe I'll try one now lol

9. 67Strat

67Strat Strat-Talker

That'd certainly be an affordable option. I've had a bunch of the real thing and I'm pretty sure if I bought another SG it'd be a Tokai, Burny or MIJ Epi. Though I see the low end Gibbys, Faded and Specials, on craigslist for as little as $400 so I suppose that's an option.

As for the hybrids I'm not crazy about the combo of light top heavy bottom so I tend to stick to whatever gauge works on that particular guitar. I know this sounds weird but for me some strings just don't sound good on certain guitars even it's my usual go to string. As a result I use several different strings. I have a box at home with a bunch of Slinky 8,9,10 mixed in with some others. Even the dreaded Fender Bullets are in my box.

10. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

really? i think they look cool as hell, especially with a whammy like the one on the right of this photo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Axeaddict

Axeaddict Senior Stratmaster

Well I got to admit I went to my local GC that I also swore Id never go back too... Picked up a one spot for my pedalboard that im working on..I use hybrid slinkys on all my guitars and have been pretty happy with them..Seems like my local GC is always out of what I go there for..I usally get my strings on ebay..Got 10 sets of hybrids for $25 not a bad deal..

Ive got an 84 gibson LP and a epi LP custom and a Epi SG 400..The quality and finish on the Epi's is pretty amazing..Im thinking if I added a set of burstbuckers to the epi LP it would sound every bit as good as my gibby..

12. opir

opir Strat-Talk Member

I wouldn't mind an SG at all (Iommi thumpy goodness). I chose a "mutt" of a guitar in the Washburn Idol (WI64). The OLD style, not the new LP rip off. The original has a LP/SG combo look that lets me get at the upper frets without having top heavy issues I've seen with SG's

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  13. capt_goodvibes

capt_goodvibes Senior Stratmaster

My first Guitar was my Tony Iommi, still play it a lot for heavy stuff, then got My Les Paul and upgraded everything,
    this thing plays beautiful, I only got into the CV's lately, I love them all, they all have a place in music, its just nice to have a choice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Diocletian

Diocletian Strat-Talker

My Epi Black Beauty, with three Seymour Duncan pickups, is still the nicest guitar I've owned, or even played. It's also the heaviest - heavier than my Jackson SL3 or any of the Gibson Les Pauls I've played.
    Get one Malikon! :)

[​IMG]

15. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

I vote for the Epi too. From reading your posts Mal, it seems to me that you are not one who always agrees with popular opinion. Even though people love the Agiles (and I'm sure they're great), you seem like the type of guy that has to play the thing first and make sure its cool. I am the same way. Thats why I went with the Epi. I paid $325 for a new Epi LP Standard Plain Top in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Yanked the pickguard off as soon as I got home. ha ha. Its the avatar....

I like my MIM strat, but going from the flat body, unfinished neck and single coils, so the curvy, well finished neck with humbuckers just feels better. I also really like the flatter neck radius. Thats just me though....

16. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Same here, I just bought my first SG (a Classic with P-90s) after wanting one for 25 years...it is a great-playing, mean-looking beast! Nails that Pete Townshend/"Live at Leeds" vibe.

17. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

they sound great, but they are NECK HEAVY. for real. if you take your hand off, its pointing at the floor. ha ha

18. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Not mine...it's actually got less neck-dive than my Classic Series Esquire...

19. jguitarnash

jguitarnash Senior Stratmaster

Search Craigslist for the best deals...you might have to be very patient though...you never know what you might come across for a great price!!

20. Epinez

Epinez Strat-Talker

Now that ^ is a beauty!