Player Plus embargo has lifted

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by systolsys, Sep 14, 2021.

1. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

The worst kept secret this year is done... with the Player Plus guitars we knew about in July finally officially released:

Plenty of review vids on youtube. eg:

Green Sub and jwag like this.
  2. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oh yeah - just acknowledge this model about an hour ago and came here looking for info. Ticks all boxes... oh my...

3. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

They’ve just updated the deluxe series and given it the “player” plus name. The biggest upgrade to me, is the wider nut, 42.8, almost same as American models at 43cm and rolled necks. The thing I ve feared has happened though. You now have a Mexican made guitar that will now cost you $999 or more depending on the model. Your now paying a GRAND for a non US made guitar. :mad:

tptmnc, Doc538, Green Sub and 7 others like this.
  4. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Strat-O-Master

You’ll find that not everyone believes a US made label is anything special. Not to mention that prices have been steadily rising since even before COVID. There are already Mexican models that cost 1200+$. I can’t personally say if they’re worth it, but I’m sure others can.

jwj1701 likes this.
  5. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Nothing new, technically. Vinteras already cost $1049-1149. And there's a signature JM that runs around $1499.

But I can't help but think that, if Fender has any interest in keeping it's California facilities open, it's going to have to raise the price of every CA-made guitar incrementally for every overseas guitar sold regardless of inflation.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    stratocarlster and jwj1701 like this.
  6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I was just coming to say that the Vinteras cracked $1K a while ago - granted when they came out in the summer of 2019 the vintage-spec models were $899, but the Vintera Modified versions were $999 then (and it seems like when the ash bodied Teles were still available they were over $1k in 2019), and the Vinterar line has gone up $150 since then.

And one quick spec point - the USA models have also also moved to 42.8mm:
    • American Standards went to 42.8mm with the 2008 revision; that width has carried forward through the American Professional and the American Professional II
    • American Deluxes went to 42.8mm with the 2010 revision, and it has carried forward through the American Elite and the American Ultra/Ultra Luxe models
    • American Performers are 42.8mm; they replaced the American Specials which were 43mm in December 2018
    I am not about the Artist Signature models; if they had the 43mm width when they were designed they may well have kept it instead of going to the 42.8mm width.

7. jwj1701

Fender may be rounding to 43. If you look at the spec sheet that’s what they show. But still, to me it’s better than the 42 non us models

8. jwj1701

I forgot about the vinteras

9. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player Platinum Supporting Member

Pricing is timing. I got a solid rosewood neck American Professional HSS from GC for very close to that (a little over $1200 including tax) almost exactly 2 years ago. I got a Mod Shop American Professional HH, again with a solid rosewood neck, for $1530 + tax last year. Both included cases, not gig bags like the Player Plus.

I don't begrudge Fender the prices, but I'm glad I bought when I did.

The specs look pretty cool. I'm more than set for Strats, but if I weren't, that green on the SSS would appeal to me.

10. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-O-Master

Interesting and thanks for sharing the video. Hard pass for me though, nothing about those guitars appeals to me.

Exhead likes this.
  11. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

I have a Charvel MIM Dinky. For those of you that don't know, Charvels are made by Fender. It cost about $1,100. The quality is very good.

Stonetone, Textele and SonOfLerome like this.
  12. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I got an email from Fender about their new Player Plus guitars. These look fairly decent. I noticed they have a couple of my favorite features - Locking tuners, and a push/pull switch to enable the neck pickup in positions 1 & 2 (to enable neck & bridge or all 3 pickups together). These also include "Player Plus Noiseless" pickups - I wonder if these are a new Noiseless pickup from Fender? Also, I have a feeling the Player Plus replaces the previous MIM Deluxe Strat (which replaced the earlier Deluxe Player's Strat)?

As these seem to be replacements for their earlier MIM Deluxe Strat, I feel a little disappointed that they seem to have gotten rid of my favorite color, the transparent sapphire blue with the ash body.. The 'Opal Spark' is a blue that looks nice though..

I think the Player Plus Nashville Telecaster looks interesting too. I recently bought a used G&L ASAT Classic S Alnico that has basically the same features, but cost a little more.. I could've saved a little money with this Player Plus Nashville Telecaster.

Erik_C likes this.
  13. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I'm guessing the Vintera lineup's base price is going to go up a bit, for better separation between it and this Player Plus lineup. Totally different specs tho, so maybe not until they rebrand the Vinteras in a couple years.

Fender seems to assume that we're all making more money than we were 2-4 years ago. It's a real left-hand, right-hand thing with "Corporate America".

nickmsmith likes this.
  14. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

You are correct; the Player Plus is the replacement for the MIM Deluxe series. Since no ash bodies any more outside of the Custom Shop (thank you emerald ash borer :mad:) they are all solid colors now. They moved to the wider 42.8mm nut width - so they match the width of the American Performer, American Professional II and American Ultra now. It also appears that the noiseless pickups are new for this model - I'm sure that once these hit the streets someone will get one and open it up to see if the pickups are based on the Vintage Noiseless design or if they are based on something else that Fender has used over the years (the Vintage Noiseless used black plastic bobbins so they looked similar to other Fender single coils; the later noiseless pickups - SCN, N3, N4 and current "Ultra Noiseless" have circuit-card-material looking bottom plates).

15. MT Poteet

MT Poteet Strat-Talk Member

Player Plus $150.00?

theORKA and bunjamin like this.
  16. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

Player plus the mods most people made as soon as they got them home.

Andrew Wasson and cranky like this.
  17. CalicoSkies

I like the options that are standard with this series, particularly the locking tuners and 7-way pickup switching. Though, those have been available since the Deluxe Player's Strat, which used to cost $650 as recently as 2014 or 2015.. Now basically the same guitar costs about $1,000, in just those short years. In the early 90s, I remember the Strat Plus (one of their top of the line models) costing about $800, and that was also a US-made Strat. How times change..

Also, for the Player Plus series, they've also gotten rid of the ash bodies for this series and got rid of a couple of my favorite colors, the Transparent Sapphire Blue and Transparent Red..

diogoguitar and nickmsmith like this.
  18. CalicoSkies

These guitars have a couple of my favorite features out of the box: Locking tuners and 7-way pickup switching (at least for the SSS models). I like noiseless pickups too, though I haven't been too crazy about Fender's Noiseless pickups.. With one of these, I may be tempted to swap out the pickups, but otherwise I think these look fairly good.

19. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Well, I'm set with the Fenders I have for the rest of my life. 2 early USA Strat Plus, a Classic Player 50's and a Nashville Tele. And the most expensive one was $650. No further need.....

GoldenEagle0308 and systolsys like this.
  20. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

Some say the noiseless pickups lose a little "bite" compared to regular single coils. I have them in my MIM Tele and I tend to agree.

They're really stacked humbuckers after all. Bit controversial that, but it's the truth.

Personally I'd go for a set of SD SSL-1 with a RWRP in the middle, giving hum canceling in P-2 and P-4. In my home there aren't any flourescent lights or big pylons outside anyway, so not a problem to begin with.

Locking tuners, $50.

Seven way pickup switching? $10 push-pull (push push is better with Strat knobs IMHO) and a bit of soldering.

Ask nicely and GC will give you 15% off instead of, maybe even in addition to, a free setup. That'll more than pay for the tuners and go a long way towards a new set of pickups.

Glyderslead and davidrf like this.