Player Plus embargo has lifted

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by systolsys, Sep 14, 2021.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

As far as the pickups, there are aftermarket brands that I think tend to sound better than Fender's Noiseless pickups. There are also different designs, and stacked isn't the only design, but they do all tend to involve wire windings in opposite directions/polarity to cancel hum. I really like Kinman's noiseless pickups and think they sound great, but I've also used Lace Holy Grail pickups and Zexcoil, which I think sound really good too.

2. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

Fender: “engineered to remove any obstacle to effortless playing”.

12" board - check.
    Medium jumbo frets - check
    Rolled edges - check
    Contoured heel for upper fret access - um... no... we don't do that here.

I have a Japanese P-bass from the early 90s with a contoured heel. Same carve/plate as the one on my two deluxes. This is an established, well functioning upgrade to the block heel designed by Leo from the original Broadcaster.

Taking it off these instruments - which are clearly not aimed at the traditionalist market - is a step backwards mistake. I can only assume that some bean couter somewhere worked out it would help them with their JIT inventory management by having one body shape that could be used on all the Mexican guitars (except the one where it isn't).

Fender should have standardised on this shape years ago. Have the block heel for the Vinteras and re-issues, and the higher access heel for everything else.

Might be a good cost decision, but it's a stupid design decision.

(end of rant).

3. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

Same. I have my two teles and two strats. One of each is from the relatively recent Deluxe line so has the neck heel carve and I wouldn't buy another Fender without it. My Daphne Blue Nashville didn't stay as a Nashville - it's currently a two pickup guitar with 50s style low-wound pickups in it, and it's a great instrument... but I didn't need the Strat sounds and the noiseless pickups can go back in when I make it as a mega rock star and need a guitar that doesn't buzz under 10 GigaWatts of stage lighting.

I will want a 12-string to replace the MIJ Strat XII that will need to return to its rightful owner after lockdowns are done here, but that will either be used or built from off-brand parts.

PCollen likes this.
  4. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

Wire windings in opposite directions = humbucker.

5. CalicoSkies

Yep.
    Though I think people also tend to associate the word "humbucker" with 2 visible coils and a deeper sound than a traditional single-coil pickup has.

6. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

Thems is sum ugly colors on a few of them geetars.....

Glyderslead likes this.
  7. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Gas was about $1.20/gallon then, too. Even in Southern California.

Doc538 likes this.
  8. CalicoSkies

In 2014-2015? I haven't seen gas that low here in Oregon since around 2002. In 2014-2015, I think gas was at least $2.50/gallon, at least, if I remember right.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  9. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Extremely good once set up, and incredible value, So for me its Charvel for the win

DK 22.jpg

10. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Oh yeah, sorry, I meant the 90s. I got my license in 1996/7, started paying for my own gas around 99, I remember it hovering around $1.25 that whole stretch. A couple years later my buddies and I were lamenting that it had gone up to around $2.50. And then by around W's reelection it was approaching $4.00.

11. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Why are you mad about that? As long the quality is better in general, I don't see the issue. That just means they're making better guitars in Mexico. Why would you be angry about better guitars? Because you want them to decrease the price while making them better instead?

They have other, cheaper MIMs for you if that's what you're looking for. You don't have to buy a plus. <shrug> so you can still get your MIM guitar for 7-900. Again, why are you upset? You think anything not from the USA must be cheaply made from cheap materials and, as a result, have a cheap, price? I don't get it.

GoldenEagle0308 and SGD74 like this.
  12. CalicoSkies

I'm not the one you quoted, but I figured I'd add my thoughts. If the quality has increased, that's fine. Sometimes it can be hard to get a feel for a guitar's quality though. MIM Strats seem just fine to me, even if they're generally less expensive than US-made Strats.

I'm wondering if the increase in price is justified though. For instance, an earlier model that the Player Plus has replaced was the Deluxe Player's Strat, and in 2014, you could buy one for about $650. Using an inflation calculator, $650 in 2014 would be about equal to $751.13 in 2021. Yet the Player Plus SSS Strat is listed for about $1000.

13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player Platinum Supporting Member

Yeah, but they don't track with inflation in real time. People would really grouse if they did. They added 50 bucks from American Professional to American Professional II (which is something like 3.5% after 4 years), and some people treated it like beer prices at a ballgame.

guitarface and SGD74 like this.
  14. ThreeChordWonder

I saw the Andertons vid this evening on youtube - from their new set - and while I liked some of the colors, I wasn't overly (or should that be over-Lee?) impressed. With the guitars, or the set. Too echo-ey I think.

It seems Fender dropped the S1 push-push (about time too IMHO) but are using a push-pull on the strat, and Lee had problems with the new switch, which I believe is just a regular push-pull. I too have problems with push-pulls and Strat knobs - I just can't get a decent enough grip to pull on them.

The better ends on the frets, great. That blue to white fade on the HSS Strat, love-er-Lee (okay no more puns). Locking tuners, great but so what? That humbucker and the noiseless pickups though...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  15. ThreeChordWonder

The player Strats are selling at GC for $800 ish.

The Player Pluses are $1000 and up.

A set of locking tuners is $50 and a push-pull or push-push about $10.

If you know what you're doing with needle files, fret dressing is free.

I reckon that leaves about $140 towards a set of SD SSL-1s, currently about $60 each ($80 for the RWRP middle) or $160-ish for a set.

16. ThreeChordWonder

And in England you could go out to the pub, get blitzed, have a fish'n'chip supper on the way home, pay the bus fare, and still have change out of a five pound note...

Them were the days...

Mr Jagsquire likes this.
  17. ThreeChordWonder

When I moved to Texas in late 2000 I swapped a 35 to the US gallon Lotus for a 15 to the gallon Pontiac. Given gas was pushing five quid a gallon even then, it still cost less to run the Pontiac.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  18. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

wow cool, rolled fingerboard edges, noiseless and locking tuners.

19. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

But ouch, $1,000 and no case for a MIM instrument? Well, hello ms. inflation!

I wouldn't pay that much for this instrument. If I were on the market, I'd get the Japanese strat and (maybe) upgrade the pickups. Much better value

Glyderslead likes this.
  20. GarrettM

GarrettM Strat-Talk Member

I think that's just their new warehouse, which they opted to use while their regular video room gets a makeover.

As for the guitars themselves I'm not seeing anything that overly rocks my boat. They're going to be about $1500-1700 here in Aus, and that's getting into Performer territory. For a bit more you could probably get a deal on Am Pro II in a finish I prefer.