Player Plus embargo has lifted

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by systolsys, Sep 14, 2021 at 9:36 AM.

1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I really don't understand why, if they are going to 'upgrade' the Player Series, they can't do a contoured heel joint. For an extra $200, we get locking tuners, different pickups, a flatter radius, rolled fretboard edges, and the same old blocky neck joint.

IMO, this whole line is just kind of 'meh'. Nothing about it makes me scream "I gotta have that!"

2. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

What about these ?? not modern rather more vintage, but i like what i see !!

Ebidis likes this.
  3. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I'm surprised that Fender and Gibson are still making products in the US. It's not a sustainable business model given the quality of their own overseas made guitars and all the competition.

Stonetone likes this.
  4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I saw that vid last night. Those guitars look pretty nice.

I think I'm in a transitional period right now, where the Fender style thing is just not getting me excited. Lately I've really been digging these two guitars.

IMG_1402.JPG fullsizeoutput_32a.jpeg

And seriously, for a long time now this has been my go to. It just kills them all.
    fullsizeoutput_345.jpeg

Still love my Strat and my Teles, and they aren't going anywhere, but my tastes have shifted.

Believer7713, dante1963 and Stonetone like this.
  5. Stonetone

Yup you have mentioned it many times as your fav :thumb:
    and well you have an awesome collection so good choices to pick from your stable :thumb:

Ebidis likes this.
  6. afireinside

afireinside Strat-Talker

Ugh $1000 for a MIM player. Ill stick with MIA used for around $700-800. Next up USA price increases! $1800+

7. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

By continually improving the standard of their MIM and Squier offerings, guess what Fender's long term plans are... the US offerings will soon be confined to the high end, limited run and custom shop models, no doubt.

Gibson and Epiphone too, I expect Look whats happened to many other brands,, and look out for "Gibson Players" soon!

Stonetone likes this.
  8. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Never heard of this model. Where have I been?

9. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

10. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I think your making too much out of the angry icon. They may be the finest guitars fender has ever produced. It’s just frustrating to a middle income worker like myself, $45k if you must know, you probably do better and I hope you do, I’m just tired from the constant inflated price of everything. This is at least the 3rd time fender has raised prices this year. It’s been talked about in other threads so I’ll leave it there. Frustrated might be a better word than angry. One things for sure, the quarterly price increases will cure my GAS eventually.

11. snsn

snsn Strat-Talk Member

But what color....I can't deceide... OLYMPIC PEARL or TEQUILA SUNRISE???

12. snsn

snsn Strat-Talk Member

13. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

This series didn't use the S-1 switch. The Deluxe Player's Strat, and the MIM Deluxe Strat, which this has replaced, used a separate push-push switch rather than the S-1 switch.

The MIM Deluxe Strat that this has replaced had a contoured heel joint. So I'm not sure why this doesn't.

Ebidis likes this.
  14. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-O-Master

My MIM Vintera Tele listed at $999 when I bought it in 2020 so that’s nothing new. But I paid just over $800 for it. You can’t go by list price, it’s what you can get it for that counts.

15. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

I was aware of that. I have a 2020 MIM Strat myself.

My point was that Fender chose not to use their own S-1 push-push with the pinkey sized button in the middle, but rather, it would seem, a regular one.

And is it a push-push (good) or a push-pull (difficult to pull with Strat shaped knobs)?

I don't know about that either way. My 2020 MIM has a regular heel joint.

16. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Cool features.

Rolled edges on a MIM (mind/blown)
    12” radius, shallow carve, 42.8mm at the nut.
    Solid saddles.
    Noiseless pickups.
    Switch on the rear tone control for 7 way switching.
    New colours.
    Locking tuners.

If I were looking for a new guitar, I’d be tempted. It would be nice if it had the heel contour but everything else is a great upgrade for an already decent guitar.

17. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player Platinum Supporting Member

Lots of people really want the reshaped neck heel. I don't care either way, but it is an increasingly popular feature.

The other way to look at the price is "either they will sell, or they won't." Guitars are durable, and there is a rich and varied used market. Nobody has to go buy a new one. So if the price goes too high, people will just keep their wallets in their pockets.

18. Stonetone

My Charvel has rolled edge my ESP 1000 does not, do i notice a difference when playing one or the other ? nope one has a contoured heel the other a shredders heel, does it affect my playing? nope, my ESP 1000 has stainless steel frets, my charvel does not does the ESP play better than my Charvel? nope again
    So not sure if its me but features or must have features dont make any difference to me
    must be because im not a super great player or a pro, but thats my take on features and the latest greatest must have feature

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021 at 5:04 PM
  19. muttonbuster

muttonbuster Strat-Talker

Democratic People's Republic of California.
    Sure it's sustainable as long as they carefully throttle production which is what they do these days even in the short term. When the lockdowns initially started and people couldn't go out to Guitar Center, they cut way back. Then pent up economic demand with people unable to spend their dough and stimulus checks on stuff they usually do when they go out, mixed with a huge influx of new players looking for something new to take up while they went stir crazy and boom. 2020 was Fender's best year in history. I would surmise for Gibson as well. Neither could build fast enough in their domestic operations.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/how-peak-demand-and-covid-19-caused-an-electric-guitar-shortage

American and Japanese guitars are a niche market that will command a premium over other countries of manufacture for a long time. You could have a PRS quality Fender come out of some almost entirely mechanized operation in Indonesia or China. The market simply does not care and thumbs its nose with "Welp, it's still not American or Japanese." The huge price differentials on Reverb by country of manufacture are the proof. It's sentimental and not logical, but that's how it is. Mexico is the next tier down, and then below that the market just treats electric guitars as mass produced whatever from wherever regardless of quality.

The market is definitely peaking right now. It may be in a few years Fender and Gibson, and Ibaneze and WSP will really scale back domestic operations; but as long as people are still willing to pay a big premium for American and Japanese electrics, that niche market will keep on rolling.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021 at 5:23 PM
  20. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

I wouldn't get too out of shape over it. Some of the nicest guitars in the world come out of Mexico and other Non-USA country's. I prefer USA over Mexican made for a couple of reasons, I think USA guitars hold their value better, but can't prove it. All of my Strats and Gibsons are US made, but two out of three of my Tele's are made in Mexico. My most expensive Tele is made in Mexico, go figure. My MIM '72 Thinline RI has very minor issues which I will get fixed when I get around it.

jwj1701 likes this.