Player strat pick guard

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Parrantula, May 11, 2021.

1. Parrantula

Parrantula New Member!

Hi. I got a 2020 player strat HSS. I wanna change out pups to sss texas. Can anyone tell me if I buy the loaded built up pickguard texas specials from fender will go straight in.? Or will I have to get the cheaper tex mex one? Is there a difference in dimensions?

And also are the pups themselves any different between the specials and the texmex?

2. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I don't think there should be any issues installing the loaded pickguard – I'm fairly sure it is just a matter of... maybe two solder points, at the jack – and the grounding wire at the back, under the back plate – if I'm not mistaken...

Hopefully that helps :thumbd: !

3. Parrantula

Parrantula New Member!

OK thanks. Am OK connecting in. I didn't word it to well what I mean is are the pick guard size and shape and its hole positions the same as mim strat in the the specials one as I think that's USA made.

J4ME5 likes this.
  4. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Size won't be a issue
    Hole location might be a little off. Not a big deal if they are. Toothpicks(or not) for the old hole. Just make sure to drill a pilot hole so ya don't f up the paint

Parrantula and J4ME5 like this.
  5. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

Nah you worded it fine buddy, I understood – it was probably me who should have been more specific! In theory, the shape of the pickguard – and the location of the screws *should* fit the exact same, as Bob has pointed out – they *might* be a little off, but it wouldn't be something to worry about too much, not yet anyway. As long as the pickguard you are buying has 11 holes, and not 8 – you should be, in theory – 100% :thumb: !

Parrantula likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

MIM to MIA parts fit fine.

7. Kingmarc1982

Kingmarc1982 Strat-Talker

Good luck on you pickguard change! It’s a great project with real noticeable difference for better or worse depending on your ears of course. I too have a 2020 hss player strat and recently changed out the pickups, pots and wiring. Fun to get in there and hear the results when you are finished. I have heard good things about the Texas specials. Plenty of good tips and info here in this forum with a lot of people who know what they are talking about. ( myself not included). Couldn’t have done it without the help of a lot of you