Player Strat - Replacement Saddles

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mind Flayer, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

I have a '19 mexican player strat that is currently decked (not sure if that's the right term, but, essentially, it's set up so that the tremolo can't move either way). I have another american special strat that is decked, so I'd like to convert this player strat into a floating trem. A few questions:

1. I recently acquired a player telecaster, and I absolutely love the feel of the saddles on the fleshy outer palm of my picking hand. I'm not sure what these saddles are called, but they're different from the bent steel style saddles that come on the strats; they're blocky in shape (they're not the barrel style saddles you see on old-school teles). These seem to have been common on strats in the 1990s, but I don't see them much on strats anymore. Does anybody know of any drop-in replacement saddles of this style that would fit on the player strat?

2. Related to item 1 above, is there any advantage to one style of saddle over the other in terms of tuning stability if I go to a floating trem setup on the strat?

3. When I move the trem arm in the strat, it's not as smooth feeling as I'd like. I'm not talking about the tension of the springs; instead, it feels like the trem arm itself isn't as snug a fit when it's screwed into the hole, so it wobbles around a bit in there. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

1 - the new Player Teles have the same bent steel saddles - is yours maybe an older Standard? Serial number?

2 - no advantage to either

3 - tremolo arm springs - Fender sells them.....

3. Mind Flayer

Thanks. Are you sure that the new teles have bent steel saddles? My tele is definitely a player model, and it's a 2019. Maybe I'm using the wrong term. Here's a sweetwater link to one of the new player teles -- mine has these same saddles. These are what I'd like to put on the strat.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TelePMCO--fender-player-series-telecaster-capri-orange?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3157641001&product_id=TelePMCO&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Catch-All&adgroup=Catch-All&placement=google&creative=156936231009&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&lid=92700046937736198&ds_s_kwgid=58700005285652254&ds_e_product_group_id=65859830956&ds_e_product_store_id=&ds_e_ad_type=pla&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk9Kb2tTH5wIVgobACh1QaQT1EAQYAiABEgLGn_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Regarding the springs, will those work on the screw-in trems? I thought those only worked on the models where you push in the trem arm until it clicks/locks in.

4. Guitarmageddon

The springs are for the screw in kind, not the pop-in....you got it backwards...

Wow, Fender's site and others show the player Teles as having bent steel saddles!! My mistake!

https://www.long-mcquade.com/110775...Player-Telecaster-Maple---3-Tone-Sunburst.htm

5. Mind Flayer

Yes, you're right about the spring, I mixed that up.

On the tele saddles, I think that they originally used some other type when they first released the player series (maybe bent steel), but there was a problem where the holes didn't line up with the through holes in the body, so they changed the saddles. As far as I know, they now all use the types of saddles shown in the link.

Does anybody know if there is a drop-in replacement set of these types of saddles that would fit on the strat?

6. Guitarmageddon

You just need some kind of chrome/nickel plated solid block saddles with 2 1/16" spacing.....for your Player Strat.....center mount....not offset....

7. Mind Flayer

Great, thanks!

8. LawFlow

LawFlow Strat-Talker

Perhaps the Fender Canadian site hasn't been updated with the newer block saddles. This is what I see (I hope link works) https://shop.fender.com/en-US/player-telecaster/0145212500.html There were complaints about the original bent saddle string holes not lining up correctly with bridge plate.

Edit: This was explained previously. Sorry.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  9. Mind Flayer

Thanks again for the tips. I converted it last night, and I happened to have some of the Fender screws for the trem arm laying around from a past project. Dropped it in there, and it's working great. I used the Frudua method for setting up the 2-point floating trem, and so far it's working really well. I still have the stock saddles in there, I'm gonna take a wait and see approach on those.