Player Stratocasters

MT Poteet

Strat-O-Master
Sep 10, 2021
Denco
Why do most of the Player Strats on the used market seem to appear within 6 months to a year after they were purchased new?

Are they just good looking beginner/student guitars?

What am I missing?

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
Why do most of the Player Strats on the used market seem to appear within 6 months to a year after they were purchased new?

What am I missing?

Here's what you're missing....

During the pandemic, a WHOLE lot of people tried to take up guitar, since we know that 90% of people who try to learn give up......and we know that a lot of people who begin HAVE to have a guitar that says Fender on it.........

The market is now flooded with used instruments because all kinds of players tried for a week and gave up thinking it would be super easy with no effort....it has no reflection on the quality of the guitar itself....

stevierayfan91

DEEPLY SHY.
Feb 20, 2011
Private.

What am I missing?

hi, @MT Poteet

I wonder if not everyone sticks with learning the guitar or something like that?

I have a Player MIM Strat and found it plenty nice for a first Fender/not had a Strat til now.

crawdaddy

Most Honored Senior Member
Feb 11, 2010
Valley o Sun
There are a myriad of reasons guitars get put up for resale....They are fantastic guitars...

I have one for sale at the moment on Reverb.....it is a great guitar, just wasn't getting the play time as others....I have 3 other player model guitars and the Tidepool lost out due to my just picking up an Ocean Turquoise Tele and already owning a LPB Strat (that is really close in color to Tidepool)....

Plus don't forget....with the pandemic a lot of people bought guitars to pass the time away....and why buy a Squier when?????? And now some of these guitars are back up for sale....

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
Yeah, the pandemic will have to do with it, but I see often that folks buy a guitar brand new, then something bad happens, they need money quick and that’s it. Or they just don’t like it after all, miss the window for returns and bam, they sell it privately. Plenty of reasons

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the current Player Series that a new set of strings, a bit of tightening up of the tuners and neck screws, and a proper setup won't cure.

From there on, modding is the owner's choice. Tuners, strap locks, trem blocks, etc. are all small incremental changes that can be done for beer money.

Pickups are more costly, of course, but there's really nothing wrong with the originals, especially for beginners and or "mainstream" musicians alike. And as I've said before, and for example, pickups for reggae probably won't suit death metal, and vice versa, so that's down to the individual.

Leofender

Plink... Need a restring!!
Silver Member
Aug 28, 2021
Australia
It's an interesting observation... It's also hard to know exactly what could be the reasons for this.
There is really no way to know such things... Theory is just heresay, as how can they be substantiated??
One thing is for sure, the resale market is alive and kicking, and Fender hold their value really well.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
I'd like to see the statistics showing that most of the Player Strats on the used market seem to appear within 6 months to a year after they were purchased new. I think this is internet goat fecal matter.

Currently on Reverb there are 97 used 2020-2021 Player Strats.

There are also 108 used 2020-2021 used American Pro ii Strats.

Why more of the American pro than the Player??

Last edited:

crankmeister

Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
The Players are great guitars. It’s probably best to ask each individual seller why they’re selling. Sometimes it’s a beginner giving up. Sometimes somebody tried to get into Strats but turns out “he’s just a Gibson guy.” Sometimes (this was me once) you want to upgrade the model but feel like you should get rid of the old one along the way (no sense having two of the same thing, right?). Sometimes the specs aren’t quite right — wasn’t vintage-sounding enough, the modern C neck was too thin, and other reasons I’ve come across.

Who knows?

John C

Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
I agree with @cranky - the Player guitars are great guitars at a good price. So it's priced low enough that anyone with a bit of disposable income who want to try to learn to play can get one ("Hey - I got a 'real' Fender instead of something else" syndrome), or someone who is an experienced player of other guitars but wants to try a Strat out can get one. And if they quit trying to play or decide that Strats aren't for them then they flip them. Still others do decide Strats are for them but they want some other specs than the Player series offers - in this case the Player Strat was the gateway to a different spec Strat.

dirocyn

Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Not just new players quitting--during the pandemic a lot of experienced and inexperienced players bought guitars online, without trying them first. 6 months is about long enough to decide you're not bonding with an instrument and it's time to move it on.

budglo

Strat-O-Master
Nov 21, 2009
ohio
I have one. A diamond in the rough is how I would describe it. Fretwork isn’t the greatest. Pickups aren’t bad, but aren’t great either. Not sure about the trem block. Mine needed some decent fret work to really be playable. Once I did that it plays as good as any MIA Standard I’ve had. Pickups might get swapped out at some point , but for now they’re ok . Im guessing a decent amount of people didn’t want to put any amount of time in it.