Player vs Vintera price difference.

Kate B

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 9, 2022
England
Hi all.

The difference in price between the Player & Vintera varies anywhere between £200-£400 at any given time and I was wondering if there was any reason for this?

Both are made in the same Ensenada factory, the modifieds have almost similar specs to the Player the only real difference I can see is the pickups but does that really warrant such a large price difference?

Are the woods used in the Vintera a higher quality? I know the Player is the entry level Fender Strat and the Vinteras are similarly priced with the Player Plus series so presumably a higher tier but what actually is the difference that warrants such a price disparity?

Thank you.

stevierayfan91

DEEPLY SHY.
Feb 20, 2011
Private.
Hi all.

The difference in price between the Player & Vintera varies anywhere between £200-£400 at any given time and I was wondering if there was any reason for this?

Both are made in the same Ensenada factory, the modifieds have almost similar specs to the Player the only real difference I can see is the pickups but does that really warrant such a large price difference?

Are the woods used in the Vintera a higher quality? I know the Player is the entry level Fender Strat and the Vinteras are similarly priced with the Player Plus series so presumably a higher tier but what actually is the difference that warrants such a price disparity?

Thank you.

Hi @Kate B

Although the Vintera series doesn’t have a nitro finish like the American Vintage series did - It seems Fender has traditionally always charged a few hundred more for any vintage inspired neck shape model Strat etc.

Not saying that it necessarily bad as
I like my Player Series Strat okay but in restrospect I might have saved enough for a nitro reissue Strat instead.

I will tell you that the MIM Player Strat comes with neither soft case or hard case or anything else.

I think ultimately the one you like best is how to do it 😀

slowesthand

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 23, 2011
NY
Hi all.

Thank you.

Basically because Fender wants to make more money on them.
They want at least a few hundred dollars or pounds to move to the next level.

YohanTheMan

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2020
Denmark
It's a good question Kate. I've pondered it myself. The player Strat and the vintage modified are very similar in terms of specs. The woods are the same i assume. No difference in quality there. I think the quality, and fit and finish across the MIM line is fairly similar, if not the same. I also think it's just the case that Fender prices their standard models lowest. They're the models that blends the vintage with the modern, and are meant to reach most people's needs and therefore will be the ones most people go for. When Fender then offers vintage style (Vintera) or modern style (Player Plus) guitars, they come with specs to deliver that. Pickups voiced differently, or noiseless, different radii, neck shapes, and other features. Those things presumably adds a little extra to the price, but it does become Interesting with the Vintera modified. As far as I can see aside from the pickups and the neck finish, the main differences are that the modified has an S-1 switch and comes with a deluxe gigbag, whereas the player doesn't come with those things. So is the S-1 switch, the vintage voiced pickups and the gigbag worth the extra money? That i can't answer.

Those are some things to consider. Best thing as always is if you can get your hands on the two-three different models and try them out.

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
Hi all.

Thank you.
Marketing and specs.

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
Back in the day, when fender Mexico had just started out, the Standard models were of much lesser quality than the Classic Series (predecessors of the Vintera line) and that was reason enough for them to be more expensive: Better pickups, better Trem blocks, better finishes, different neck shape etc. Then, when they improved the Standard Strat, it became more expensive too, and the specs got closer to the better models, they raised the price even more. Now, with the player series, they have basically turned their old American standard Strat into the Player Series specs wise. They are competing with themselves so to speak. So now they gotta make profit by selling the Vinteras for more than the player series…

Kate B

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 9, 2022
England
Thank you everyone.

Basically I have the option of a FSR Player with a roasted maple neck in sea foam green or a Vintera 50's non modified in sea foam green standard maple neck for roughly the same price.

I've been to the store and tried them and I couldn't tell much difference in feel between any Strat to be honest and it ultimately comes down to minor differences, 7.25" vs 9.5" radiuses, 6 point trem vs a 2 point trem, soft V vs modern C.

Gig bags are nice but not important, I just want the best guitar I can get between those two so I guess it just comes down to roasted vs standard maple fingerboards.

Thank you all again.

YohanTheMan

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2020
Denmark
Thank you everyone.

Basically I have the option of a FSR Player with a roasted maple neck in sea foam green or a Vintera 50's non modified in sea foam green standard maple neck for roughly the same price.

I've been to the store and tried them and I couldn't tell much difference in feel between any Strat to be honest and it ultimately comes down to minor differences, 7.25" vs 9.5" radiuses, 6 point trem vs a 2 point trem, soft V vs modern C.

Gig bags are nice but not important, I just want the best guitar I can get between those two so I guess it just comes down to roasted vs standard maple fingerboards.

Thank you all again.
Two very good options there. I like the look of both of them. I have a preference for vintage specs, but I also really want a Strat with a roasted neck. I'm terribly slow at making decisions, so I'm glad that's it's not me who have to pick one😅

Did you plug them in? If so what did you think of the pickups?

I guess if the necks are the only real major difference, then go for the one that speaks to you the most. You can't really go wrong. You did your due diligence, and tried them out in person.

Whichever one you choose i hope you will be happy with it, and we would love to see pictures of your new guitar when you get it, along with your impressions of it.

Stratafied

Dr. Stratster
Oct 29, 2019
North of South
Thank you everyone.

Thank you all again.
Hey Kate , that fsr sounds really good. Is that the one with the fat 50s pickups ?

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
The S-1 switch would cost about $50 to buy the parts (retail). That's part of the difference. The gig bag ain't free, probably $79 to buy it by itself. A price $129 higher seems justifiable.

But the biggest difference is, people who care about vintage specs are willing to pay a little extra for it. Supply and demand works out that way.