Join Strat-Talk Today

Playing outside in high humidity

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Soul31, Jul 19, 2019.

1. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

Now...as long as I have hair on me 'ead, I have on tap ('cause I sweat like a wh**e in church) all natural Finger Ease. Once I commence to sweating, I can run a hand through my hair and presto, neck lube!

2. Mankonis

Mankonis Strat-Talk Member

Interesting fact.
    Me and few friends from time to time like to visit russian sauna. It heats up to 100 degrees Celsius :))) would be nice to by cheap guitar and play it in there!!!

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

I hate sweating a bunch while playing. You gotta do what ya gotta do, but things do get sticky and require an adjustment of technique. I have a lot of respect for dudes like SRV who can just sweat buckets all over their guitar and still rip it up. If the juice starts flowing too much when I’m playing at home, I usually take a break and come back to it after cooling off a bit. A little sweat is one thing, but if it really starts flowing at home, or even playing out with friends, I’m usually calling a time out, after we finish the current song of course.

I love playing in winter when the hands stay powder dry and smooth, the neck stays dry and fast and if you do start to get warm, you’re just a window crack away from the perfect temp. I grew up in TX, but I’m a lightweight now after 20 years in the Rockies. My ideal playing temp is about 63 degrees and low humidity, then the fingers can really fly!:D

sgarnett and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Strat-Talker

63 degrees. An odd number that seems perfect to me.

5. Mr. Grabby

Mr. Grabby Strat-Talker

Cornstarch.. I put about 1/2 a cup of it in a bandana and tie all the corners together. It's fine enough to come through the cotton... I keep it in the box with cables, strap, etc.. I set it on corner of speaker cabinet and when the guitar goes on I grab it and roll it around in my hand. Then we launch... Works perfect, leaves no residue, very slickery.....

6. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-O-Master

see they had Darwin candidates even back then

Lovnmesomestrat and dirocyn like this.
  7. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Fast fret or finget ease work well for me when playing outside with high humidity.

I hit the strings and back of the neck with it, and I'm good to go.

I wouldn't use chalk or anything powdery like that. I'd be concerned about it getting in the grain of my fretboard, or just getting gross after being mixed with sweat.

I don't usually use anything at all, but i have played enough outdoor gigs to know it can get sticky. So i pack a can of fast fret in my gig bag.

Believer7713 likes this.
  8. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

My choice as well. Needs applications more than once but seems to be the best option.

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Baking soda.

10. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

don't use an unsealed neck

11. Lester H

Lester H Strat-Talker

I don't think you'll have an issue. In Kansas where I'm at 64% humidity is considered dry. 80-95% humidity here is pretty common and that's without rain.

I keep a handkerchief close by to dry the sweat from my hands and to wipe down the back of the guitar neck but that's about it.

You'll be fine and you won't have to deal with messy powder.

12. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I can vouch for the nasty horrible humidity that we get here in KC. It is the reason we have such wide gaps between the actual temperature and the heat index or wind chill factors. It can be 90°F and have a heat index od 102°. It can also be 18°F and feel like 0°...both are pretty common here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Lester H likes this.
  13. Soul31

Soul31 Strat-Talker

So we had sound check last night, it was only in the high 80s and everything was sticky but I was sweating so much it dropped down to my hands and kind of worked as a lube I guess. Anyway not as much of an issue as I thought.

The much bigger issue was the greenheads. It must be peak season as they were swarming us like locusts. I had then flying into me, landing and biting me everywhere. Had them fly through my fret fingers and pick fingers as I played . I even killed one with my guitar strings as it flew *under* the strings as I was playing. I had one fly into my mouth while I was singing and I had to spit it out on to the stage in the middle of the song. Happened again but this time I just kept my mouth open until it flew out lol. We all got attached and bit so much we all were doing a strange jerky, swatting, jumping dance we labeled the Greenhead Shuffle.

Gig is today, oh boy!!! Lol

duzie likes this.
  14. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

You know that's just mineral oil right?

15. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

Yes but it is in a clean and easy to use applicator so I find it quite useful

Believer7713 likes this.
  16. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

Go to your local billiard/pool store and get talcum bags, they are on amazon too, but if you are in a rush...

17. Soul31

Soul31 Strat-Talker

So to recap...the gig went well! It was hot as ****, but playing wasn't too bad. I had bought a small travel baby powder/Cornstarch mix from CVS, but never used it. The greenheads even were not as bad, got bit a couple times and did a couple Greenhead shuffle moves up on stage but it was maybe 10% of the level it was Friday night.

I'll try to post a video, I have a couple.

18. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

I don't have a solution for the green head problem (they're nasty), but for mosquitoes and your ordinary gnats, a fan blowing directly on you, works great.

I've played/play many marinas, yacht clubs etc. and mosquitoes and gnats can't fly very well in high winds (like the wind coming off of a good fan).

Green heads tho...... they are terrible.
    They don't seem to mind bug repellents, high winds, arm flailing, nothing !

19. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.