1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Playing, stopping and back again...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bera, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Bera

Bera Strat-Talker Silver Member

Hi!

Sometimes I play a lot. Practice every day, try new songs... But then, I lose interest, and my guitar keeps getting dust for weeks...

How do you guys cope with that? How to keep the spark alight every day?

Cheers

JJ119, Stratafied, circles and 2 others like this.
  2. Fuggle

Fuggle Strat-Talker

1. Buy a new guitar.
    2. Repeat.

3. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

I don't lose interest. I just run out of time.
    If you have more than one guitar, keep them in different rooms.
    TV noodling pays off
    So does websurfing noodling

I noodle while my stuff renders for work.

Thou
    Shalt
    Not
    Abandon
    Noodling

JJ119, CB91710, RL21980 and 3 others like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

It's been a while since I stopped playing for weeks. Probably the most recent was around 2008.

I went with build a new guitar. Here's this year's crop, so far...

covidbuilds2.png

JJ119, stormsedge, ukoldgit and 2 others like this.
  5. Diamond D

Diamond D Strat-Talker

Play things that are fun. Don't make it like it's homework. Enjoying it is what it's all about.

Dibbs, JJ119, CB91710 and 2 others like this.
  6. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

The trick is to play a little bit every day, even if you really aren't in the mood for it. Sad to say recently that this is pretty much every day for me, just can't get motivated but pick up a guitar for 15 minutes anyway and see what happens.

MIJ1988 and StratMike10 like this.
  7. El_Pistolero

El_Pistolero Strat-O-Master

I've dealt with this recently and (this is just my opinion) it's helped to just admit to myself that I've been in a funk. Even though I suck, playing music for me is a very feel-oriented thing and although maybe not emotional, my heart has to be in it regardless of the fact I'm just playing at home. The days I've forced myself to play guitar nothing sounds the same and I'm just off, so I stop after a few minutes, which is discouraging.

Even on days where I'm off, I can force myself to do my other hobbies because to me just the act of playing a round of golf, drawing, or working out provides joy. Playing guitar is far less robotic to me, not sure how many others feel this way, but there's a lot more room to add a little "me" to my playing and if I'm in a funk I'm just not going to like it. I swing a golf club and physics takes over, I put charcoal to paper and an image begins to appear, but to me playing guitar requires this constant personally mental input and if I'm not all there, my fingers don't take over robotically. I obviously don't seize up or anything extreme, but the 'feel' is not all there. I'm sure many are able to do this, but I am not.

I haven't played much in the last couple months and I've recently admitted to myself that there are a lot of days that I have been a little off and it's ok that it wasn't in my heart to play. This directly contradicts the post above even though it sounds like we are in similar places, but everyone's different and it just comes down to whatever makes us feel best.

MIJ1988, nigelr, Baelzebub and 3 others like this.
  8. Gonflyn

Gonflyn Strat-Talker

It's like excercise, sometimes you just gotta force yourself to get going, then before you know it you're on a roll.

Leave the guitar out in a conspicuous place where it's convenient to pick up every day, even for just a few minutes if noodling. Many times that can lead to a longer productive session.

frednic, StratMike10 and Bera like this.
  9. Zzzzz

Zzzzz Strat-Talker Silver Member

I just started really learning to play. I have a half hour lesson every week. Otherwise, I feel like all I do is practice. I love it. It's really is the best therapy. I do get discouraged when my fingers don't do what I want them to do as quickly as I want. We've been on the same song for 3 weeks now. He says I'm doing great and that my rhythm is one of the best out of his students. I just don't see it. I won't be happy until I can play it straight through with zero mistakes. I will probably never play this song again after this! I'm getting these chords down though. I can definitely see progress and have a newfound respect for guitar players. I like that @Mouse has videos showing his fretting hands. I can pick up a lot from that. (Thanks!)

johnted, Dibbs, JJ119 and 11 others like this.
  10. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

The angle I video from was intentional. My favorite YouTubers show the fretting hand clearly which is helpful for learning certain songs. When I started videos I decided to do the same. I don't post actual "lesson" videos but I figured most could figure out what I'm playing if they wanted. The slowdown feature in YouTube is also very helpful.

Good luck with your guitar practicing. With consistent practice, you'll be surprised how far you'll get in a short amount of time.

What song are you working on?

johnted, JJ119, bish0p34 and 2 others like this.
  11. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

I’m trying to work back from time off too. Since I started playing in 1975, I have gone through periods of not playing at all, sometimes for years.
    @Mouse - your recent vid is one I’d like to have a go with.

Mouse and Zzzzz like this.
  12. Zzzzz

Zzzzz Strat-Talker Silver Member

"Boulevard of Broken Dreams" by Green Day. It's a good beginner song and it's helping me get down some basic chords. I just get tired of playing it over & over. I do watch your videos and try to figure out what you're playing. :)

johnted, JJ119, bish0p34 and 3 others like this.
  13. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Cool song and agree...a good beginner song to get your strumming hand working and to learn to strum in time. If it makes you feel better, after I learn any song I need a "cleanse" from that song. It's often a long time before I can hear it again. :D

Stonetone and Zzzzz like this.
  14. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

Go for it! I'm happy to help where I can if anything isn't clear in the video.

Stonetone and StratoMutt like this.
  15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

This is me too, and I think it's a big part of what fuels my GAS. I get excited again and spend more time playing. Bummer is, it doesn't last.
    There are those rare times where I get into a "flow" moment and I can keep going for hours, on guitar or keys. Usually though, I'm just mentally tired and can't really force myself to go longer than a half hour or 45 minutes. I'd love to be able to overcome that.

RL21980 and Zzzzz like this.
  16. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

:)
    I simply do not play not enough anymore. I'm a slow learner, so I gravitate toward slow tutorials like: https://www.shutupandplay.ca/

I should do OK with your vid though. I have the file saved as an .mp4, so I can visually slow down and / or loop parts I find more challenging.

RL21980 likes this.
  17. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Longest I have ever gone was 3 weeks or so, usually because of last minute business trips. When I came back though, it was magical, and I usually would come up with a new lick.

JJ119 and StratoMutt like this.
  18. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

IF you Dont want to Get Bored Make Goals and Attain them :thumb:

19. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

This is a big one for me.

For as many difficult (for me) songs that I attempt, I throw in a few easy wins. It's great to keep plugging at Cliffs of Dover for months but if that's all you're working on then it could lead to throwing the guitar in a corner and not looking at it for weeks. Don't be afraid to toss in a Nirvana or CCR song in there if song learning is your thing. It may not impress the guitar forum virtuosi but it'll keep things interesting and give a a bit of a psychological "reward" for learning a complete tune.

20. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Yup This is A Very Good Point Mouse, Words of the Wise, Because yes Motivation and Reward are Strong Factors :thumb:

JJ119, Zzzzz and duzie like this.