1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Playing, stopping and back again...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bera, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

One thing I find really helpful is to make sure I constantly have music playing. That and keeping guitars out all over the house. If there is a guitar handy when I hear a riff or a tune, I'm likely to pick it up and either play along, if I know it, or try to figure out at least a piece of it.

Zzzzz and Stonetone like this.
  2. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I just love playing. Been doing it for 52 years and it never gets old. My 'breaks' from playing are when we go out of town. But when we get home, it's one of the first things I want to do. I keep it fresh by trying new things and adding new backing tracks to my collection.

Zzzzz likes this.
  3. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

I quit for several years once. Sold my guitars, including one I wish I still had. A MIJ Strat pulled me back in.

Neil Davies and StratoMutt like this.
  4. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

:eek: Oh, that's sad.

For the vast majority of the time I have played all I had the the '73 Lester and the Mesa Boogie. I always felt, one day I'd return to them. No way they were going anywhere.

5. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, it is sad. To quote Jimi, “Manic depression is a confusing mess.” I did a whole lot of stupid things before they found me some supplemental chemistry that works.

StratoMutt likes this.
  6. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

I can relate all too well. Different diagnosis, same chemical BS. The "not Merry Go Round" is what I call it.

Seamus OReally likes this.
  7. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

I quit playing for over 23 years, but when I quit smoking I was real fidgety, so I started playing again.
    then we moved out of town, but I rented an apartment and continued working in the city, for about 5 years, and went home on weekends. Every night I played, practiced, recorded, learned as much as I could.
    now that I have been retired for a few years, I am having trouble keeping motivated
    Did enjoy jamming on some wikiloops tracks though. Also did some parody tunes with a buddy on vocals, like this pink floydish ditty

8. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member

I go through periods of funk when I don’t feel like playing... when that happens I have to push the old will power to keep some kind of momentum going. Sooner or later the groove returns, and it is a great feeling to pick up where you left and not have to climb that mountain from the bottom.

besides it is a great mind exercise and food for the soul. Even if you're not into it, rough spots are a big part of the journey.

if you’re only playing when you’re having fun playing, then it’s a trip to the amusement park, not a journey.

9. Ben Decko

Ben Decko Strat-Talk Member

Keep on a stand in plain view. Make yourself walk past it every day. Out of sight out of mind

Jerseystratfiend likes this.
  10. hogrider16

hogrider16 Strat-Talk Member

It's never happened to me, but find something else you're interested in. Come back to the guitar when you're ready.

11. rbspql

rbspql Strat-Talker

I think it is normal for non-profesisonal musicians that have a job, maybe a family and other stuff to take care of...
    We play during spare time and sometimes we'd like to use it for doing something else than playing or ...just relax... ;-)

Neil Davies and bish0p34 like this.
  12. jumpbluesdude

jumpbluesdude New Member!

The summer is a real down time for me and guitar. I want to be outside while the weather in Wisconsin is nice. Wrenching on cars, hiking, skating, running with the dog, whatever, but the guitar still gets picked up at night. In winter, its competing with football games and building/repairing amps. I go through periods where I feel like I've cut way back, but never really put it down for long. Motivation and inspiration comes from listening to really dynamic players - Hendrix, SRV, EVH, Audley Freed, Doyle Dykes. Its hard for me to listen to those guys and not want to get serious about guitar. Find the thing that will invoke inspiration. For some, its a new guitar or amp. Hearing great playing is mine. What is yours? Try to find it. When you want to be inspired, push that button!

13. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Have you tried forgetting about the technique of playing and just start making up stuff or writing songs? Forget about the guitar as a bunch of licks or riffs and focus on writing a song instead. This always takes me out of the boredom aspect. Even if the song you write sucks, it still forces you out of your rut, unless song writing is the rut you’re in? If that is the case then get the book called Chord Chemestry by Ted Green. This book will open up musical doors you didn’t even know existed.

14. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talk Member

I've gone through the same. Started when I was 15. Have gone at least a year without playing, mostly when I lived in NYC and could not play through an amp without pissing people off. Even now I sometimes stop playing for a bit. People say leave your guitars out, I agree with that. Also, subscribing to people on Youtube helps, I never had the vast amounts of information that is out there now when I started. I learned the "CAGED" system before it was called the "CAGED" system from a great teacher and that was how I became proficient when I was around 17 and learned where all the notes are on every string. That was probably the single biggest thing for my playing, and realizing that there are triads all over the neck for basically any chord, which also translates to better lead guitar and improvisation. But sometimes, you just aren't inspired and don't play for a while. I'm sure it happens with many players.

CadillacBob likes this.
  15. pmoore

pmoore Strat-Talk Member

Keep with it, you don't really notice that you are getting better but one day it will hit you, and your going to be wicked good! Bottom line is that it's fun!!!!

Zzzzz likes this.
  16. Zzzzz

Zzzzz Strat-Talker Silver Member

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

17. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

I never loose interest. I have trouble finding the time to devote to really improve like I want to. Wife, kids, work, working on the house, etc. By the time everyone is asleep (Only time I can get real focused practice in) I'm wiped out with another day of responsibilities staring me in the face. I feel like I'm never where I want to be with the instrument. It's good to keep striving but I do get frustrated at times. But its like anything else, if its important to you, you'll "make" time for it. Some days are easier to "make" time than others.

Jerseystratfiend and SatinNeck81 like this.
  18. otto6457

otto6457 Senior Stratmaster

I stopped playing in February and haven't touched my guitars since. I haven't missed it really. It's been sort of a relief to not have to practice. I gave it 4 years of solid practice and effort and just never got much better. Maybe some day the urge will return but right now I just don't have the desire to continue.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Neil Davies likes this.
  19. macoshark

macoshark Strat-O-Master

Yeah- Playing for me can be influenced by my mood. Lately, I pick a musician and go to Utube and play some videos of them, usually live. It's just to get me excited enough to strap on the Strat. This week is G.Benson. It's not fair he's so good. I saw him on Oahu right around the time he did "Weekend in L.A.". I never saw anyone lean back and close their eyes for long periods and rip it up like that before.

Stratafied likes this.
  20. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I go through periods like that also, unless you’re a musician for a living I think it’s normal.

macoshark likes this.