Playing stuff you write in a band situation.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, Jun 12, 2021.

1. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

In the last band, I would record and mix the finished song and take it to the band with everything finalised, for them to listen to. Certain parts I would want played exactly as my version, but mainly with bass and keyboard parts I would let the guys decide what they wanted to do. The melody was never changed, and sometimes we would re-arrange the track or add a different intro or ending.

It's fair to say that I didn't always like the result, and I would prefer my version, but it's something I learnt to live with. I even suggested that we stop playing one of my songs at gigs because I hated what it had turned in to, but the band wanted to keep it in the set. For one song the keyboard player wrote a completely different intro and it turned the song into a much better song, so sometimes you win....

2. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Alas, the times I can just ride are few and far between. In all the gigs I've played since 1975, I can count them on my fingers...and I don't use all of them.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

You don't strike me as a rider.....

Also: really great discussion everyone, thanks.

4. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Too much of my Dad in me.

Dad ( to Tommy Tedesco): Tommy, is there any way you can just play what I wrote on the chart?
    TT: I thought it needed something extra...
    Dad: I don't pay you to play something "extra". I pay you to play what I wrote. You're fired.

He did the same to Carol Kaye.

Howard Roberts played his parts. Allan Reuss played his parts. Mitch Holder played his parts. Bill Pitman played his parts. :D

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Was fun listening to Tedesco talk, though, for a kid from San Antonio. :D

I can see myself asking someone to play a particular part in a particular way if I think it's important, but I am also pretty happy letting people jam. The bass player is good, going by his other project I have heard and it's punk so if he wants to go nuts that's fine.

6. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

My experience is super limited here (only been in a couple of bands and that was a long time ago) so I'm looking at this question from the perspective of someone looking to join an established project and essentially just learn the parts and play them so the "band" can play live. I guess that would be ok to get started since there is already material to work with but I would hope to have some involvement in the writing of new stuff too down the line...

7. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Tommy Tedesco was my all time favorite session guitar player! His GP column in the 70’s was the best thing ever in that magazine. The Howard Robert’s column was a close second! I met him in the 1980’s at the Dallas Guitar Show.
    Just the Green Acres riff was enough to make him a legend!

8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Yeah, that's how I see it as well. If one has an established "thing" with releases that have actually been heard by more than 50 people, I can see someone basically being a hired hand. I don't want to do that. Don't want to be in a Dado/Boyo tribute band.

The drummer has already thrown 4 songs that he wrote at me and I look forward to learning those and I want input from him and the other guy when it comes time to make a set list. On the good side, it's punk so you don't actually need a lot of songs to do the punk shows.

9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I saw him when I was 18 or 19 in an appearance at the music store I worked in. Had been reading his column and really enjoyed seeing/hearing him.

10. Scott Baxendale

I was in awe when I met him as much as if I was meeting Hendrix! He was the Buddy Hackett of guitarists!

11. Scott Baxendale

I was in a band where I helped arrange the songs and I wrote all of my own guitar parts and after a couple of years I left the band. I was replaced by another guitar player and when I went and saw them a month later he was desperately trying to play all of my guitar parts note for note and it sounded really forced and bad, I was aghast that he didn’t even try to come up with his own parts. I guess I was flattered that he thought what I played was important to the song but it was so awkward sounding to hear him try to play the parts I came up with naturally.

12. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

Probably an unpopular view, but I have never tried to follow another guitarists lead playing note for note. For one thing, I could not. However, I truly believe that each individual has his own voice and that’s what he should play.

Cyberi4n, circles and Scott Baxendale like this.
  13. Scott Baxendale

Me either!

14. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-O-Master

Over the last 9 years I’ve been in two bands. I wrote all the music myself - including a base drum-beat, guitars, keys. In some instances recently I’ve written bass too - but just for my recent solo stuff. I’m quite protective of my music, so can be quite controlling. Lyrically though I have our singer complete control (virtually) over what he wrote. His stuff was brilliant and I had complete confidence in him and his abilities

15. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

There were three guitarists on the Green Acres sessions. Bob Bain, Howard Roberts and TT. TT was the junior player. He would have had third book. Bob Bain (The Pink Panther, Peter Gunn) was the senior player. He would have played first book.

I've seen the AFM local 47 sheets for this. When MGM bought Orion, we got Green Acres with it.

So TT liked to say he played it...but he didn't. Every session he said he was on, there were two other guitarists there. They just didn't talk about it. TT loved to talk. About half the time he told the truth. The rest of the time, he printed the legend.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  16. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

TT would have done great in the current era. High quality entertainment to that point where most don't care whether he was fudging.

17. Scott Baxendale

Haha! Like I said he was the Buddy Hackett of session dudes! He did play the intro to MASH on his Goya nylon string.

18. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

For the tv show. Howard Roberts played it in the film. On a guitar that he bought on the way to the session. It was raining, and he had it wrapped in newspaper.

19. Scott Baxendale

I loved Howard Roberts! His column in GP was better than taking guitar lessons from a teacher in person. The Howard Robert’s/Joe Pass 7 come 11 record was one of my all time favorites! In fact I need a new vinyl copy……wait that was Herb Ellis on 7 come 11, not Howard Robert’s….duh.

fezz parka likes this.
  20. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Howard was my guitar teacher from 64 to 73.