Join Strat-Talk Today

Please, englighten me...

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by tdcdias, Jul 11, 2019.

1. tdcdias

tdcdias Strat-Talk Member

Although I understand a thing or two about guitars, I am an almost completely total noob when it comes to amplifiers / guitar amplification in general. I need some advice.

ABOUT ME: Apartment player/father. Looking for the highest tone quality possible with the least volume possible - preferably using headphones!

THE PROBLEM: I have a small valve amp which I love (Joyo Bantamp Bluejay), and I would like to use it with headphones. The amp itself has a phone output, but I am not satisfied with the tone it produces.

MY ASSUMPTION: The problem is that the cabinet simulation of the headphone output of the amp is probably not good. The emulation must be poor, just to give that option to whoever need it, and not focused on quality at all.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: I should invest in a high-quality cabinet simulation pedal. I am looking at the Mooer Radar at the moment. As long as I use the Mooer Radar in front of the amp, and plug my headphones directly into the Mooer Radar, the cabinet simulation will be much better and my "headphones tone" will probably improve a lot.

QUESTION: Am I correct in my assumptions? Does everything work as I described? Would you recommend any other solution so I can have the tone of my amp through headphones with maximum quality?

Thanks in advance! Please help this complete noob who just wants to sound good for himself.

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Omar likes this.
  2. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

3. tdcdias

Thank you so much for the suggestion! In fact I already have a Vox Amphone AC Model, which I like very much. However, I must say the these devices, although do a very good job, can't compare to an actual amp when it comes to tone. My goal is to have the actual tone of my valve amp in my headphones, with the highest possible quality.

electroplasmolog likes this.
  4. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

And that's your problem right there.
    See, the Celestion Seventy/80 is one of the most widely hated speakers you get. Why? It doesn't color the sound of the amp (I like that) and is thus commonly perceived as sounding like a dead fish (I don't agree).

The emulated tone you have is as close to the true amp sound as you're gonna get.
    You want a good cab emulator though. One that does affect the sound like a 'good' speaker would.
    Any emulation pedal will color the sound and the radar will certainly have a setting you like better than what you have now ;)

tdcdias and guitarface like this.
  5. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

I think you need to look at the HX Stomp.

tdcdias likes this.
  6. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

I have a fender mustang III v2 amp that I use with headphones. To get decent tone through the headphones I have to create patches specific to headphone use. Generally the tweaks are eq and cab sim. I'm pretty happy with the tones I get through headphones. I wouldn't rave about them like they are the best I've ever heard or anything but they work well for silent practice. Last music store I was in had a used one on the floor for very little $ so maybe worth a trip to your local stores to check it and other options out.

tdcdias likes this.
  7. tdcdias

I had my eyes on that for some time, and still have tbh. It seems too expensive for my current budget, however, so I am leaning towards a solution that allows me to use my current equipment (which I like).

Also, I think that if at some point I acquire the funds to invest in an HX Stomp I will probably go full berserk and end up with a Kemper...

8. tdcdias

This is great info, thanks!

TangerineDog likes this.
  9. IsaiasO

IsaiasO Strat-Talker

You don't need an amp at all.

You can most likely do everything that you want with a:

• laptop
    • software (like IK Multimedia Amplitube 4, but there are others; some free)
    • audio interface (I'm using a cheap one from IK Multimedia--called iRigUA
    Check out the link in my sig for the jam tracks I've done this year, but concentrate on the bottom ones as they are the newest ones I've recorded. Notice, though, throughout the entire collection, the range of tone. The clean tones are recorded with only a Boss compressor on the floor.

***Disclaimer*** I don't work for IK Multimedia. I just like their software.

/

10. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

Sometimes there can be a delay with the iRig / laptop approach. I haven’t tried it for awhile because I found the delay hard to live with. Maybe it’s better now ....

tdcdias likes this.
  11. tdcdias

UPDATE: I have bought the Mooer Radar, and it works exactly as I expected. The problem seemed, indeed, with the cabinet simulation buil-in within the headphones output of the amp, which made the sound really dead and muddy.

The Radar is now plugged right after the preamp (in the fx send), and it "never returns" - the headphones are plugged into the Radar directly. I have tried plugging the headphones both in the regular output of the Radar, and in the dedicated headphones output. Both seemed to work but the direct output produces some strange noises (I don't think it is made to feed a headphone directly), so I prefer to keep the headphones into the dedicated headphones output.

The difference is night and day, completely. The sound is way, way better now, much clearer and crispier than it was with the dedicated headphones output of the amp. I even tried sending the signal from the Radar to the line-in of my JBL Xtreme, and the results are surprisingly pleasant! There is enormous definition in the bass notes,and the tone is very lively. I enjoyed the results a lot and this will probably be my "definitive" rig for silent/home usage.

Stratbats and s5tuart like this.
  12. s5tuart

s5tuart Resource limit reached Strat-Talk Supporter

If you get tired of your current solution, and of course depending on how deep your pockets are, the Mesa MK V 25 will do all you ask

13. IsaiasO

IsaiasO Strat-Talker

I haven't had any latency issues with Amplitube 4 through iRigUA (which can also be used with my Android tablet and the Amplitube UA Android app). But, I will say, that I much prefer Amplitube 4 running in my laptop (HP ProBook 4540s with Intel CORE i5 processor and 8 gig of RAM). All of my recording were done on the laptop.

/

14. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

I got around the volume problem using GarageBand thru an iRig connected to the iPad.
    Had all the effects I needed and through the headphones it doesn’t bother the household. When there not here I crank on the Marshall. Best of both worlds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.