1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Please help educate me concerning my 1958 Strat.

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Jason Ralston, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Jason Ralston

Jason Ralston Strat-Talk Member

Hello everyone.

I have had my 1958 Fender Stratocaster for a few months now and am loving learning as much about it and other vintage guitars that I can.

On my 58’ Strat, the body was made in 06/58 and the neck 07/58. The volume and tone pots came back as being made in the 25th week of 1958 as well, or mid June of 1958.

The serial number on my 58’ is 026099. I know most 58 Strats did not have the 0 to start the serial number though. What I have heard is that Fender received a batch of neck plates that had the 0. I was then told that because Fender was placing each neck plate in numerical order, that they did not have time to have a new batch of serial number neck plates to be made and as a result, only a handful of 58’s have a 6 digit serial number where the first number starts with a 0. Can anyone confirm if that is true or not? If not, what was the real reason?

Also, I know that Fender had their serial numbers go in numerical order of build completion back then but is that for all Fender instruments in order of completion or did the Strats have a certain number group, Tele’s had another number group, P basses another number group and so on?

Last, I know who the original owner of my guitar was, as well as who the second owner was before me. I also know that my guitar was originally shipped and sold brand new in Nebraska sometime between August to December of 1958 but is there a way of finding out which store in Nebraska, my guitar was originally shipped too? The original owner is no longer alive and while I do have the history of the guitar from the time that it was bought brand new until I bought it, the one bit of information that I don’t have, is which music store the guitar was initially shipped to after it was built, when it was brand new. Since I know that it was somewhere in Nebraska and I can’t imagine to many music stores being around in Nebraska in 1958, I was wanting to try and find out which store it was initially sent to and then see if they are still around and still in business or not?

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thank you all in advance for any help you can give.
    Jay

E82172F6-F584-497B-A61F-B770DAAE02D4.jpeg 072D18DD-898A-403F-AF4D-E738310CB1B5.jpeg E365DEC0-129A-45AE-9A87-6E8022232B5E.jpeg 923F00B9-8765-4CB9-A8EF-3EEBCD16A724.jpeg

StummerJoe, bojanbeo, Stevn and 19 others like this.
  2. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

I have a list from a friend here on the forum that shows seven out of thirteen 1958 strats listed with 0xxxxx serial numbers. So fairly normal.

That's the latest neck/body date I've seen with an "0" plate though.

3. Bazz Jass

Initially different instruments had their own serial number sequences, but not by 58.

Jason Ralston likes this.
  4. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Ohhh.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Nate D, RobZ69, RadioFM74 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jason Ralston

1958 was the first year for the 3 tone.

6. Bazz Jass

Correct - mid 1958

7. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-Talker

I would recommend checking out the "Gruhn guide to guitars." It provides all of this information. Also, a call to the "Vintage Guitar magazine" might be helpful. They are cool about answering those kinds of inquiries.

8. Lankytwang

Lankytwang Strat-Talker

Drool ..Drool. Drool. !!!!!! :p

Jason Ralston and mikej89 like this.
  9. california2020

california2020 Strat-Talk Member

@Jason Ralston It looks really well maintained after all those years! Is the case original too?
    Just out of curiosity, how did you find that it was sold in a Nebraska store when it was brand new?

10. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

The case looks original... it's the case a 1958 should sport

The list grew... ;) but as Bazz says, it's fairly common and started in late 1957...
    Most likely errors occurred during the stamping but the plates were still used. Over the years we can see "negative" serial numbers (eg: -21xxx), serials starting with an "0", serials on the bottom of the plate, plates double stamped with different serials (one on the front and one on the back),... All these were used. Leo and Forrest had a "no waste" policy.

@Jason Ralston Very nice specimen. Take good care of her. I don't think it's a museum piece, but you'll get many collector/player envious with one in this condition. Often 1958's have their logo/decal that faded and disintegrated with time, this one hasn't. Enjoy

11. worldoftone

worldoftone Strat-Talker

I went to a handful of guitar shops in NE in the 70s and 80s. You would be surprised how many there actually were. Mostly in the "bigger" cities. I would contact Terry Foster and see if he possibly has a dealer list from back then.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fenderthegoldenage19461970

Where in CO are you at?

- WOT

Jason Ralston and Miotch like this.
  12. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Wow, all original?

13. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

That is beautiful in all the right ways!

Jason Ralston and Groovey like this.
  14. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-Talker

Wossup with the intonation on the low E?

15. Bazz Jass

58 strats were self-inotating I believe. From about May..... ;)

GilmourD, Jason Ralston and CB91710 like this.
  16. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I know nothing about Nebraska except about a dozen ways to drive through it. But where I grew up, there were a lot more music stores in the '60s than there are now, despite the population being about four times larger.

hornpiper and Jason Ralston like this.
  17. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

Wow, a true '58 in outstanding condition. Find something good here every time I log on.:D

18. Jason Ralston

I’ve been in contact with both. I’ve talked with the folks at Gruhn about being one of the places that appraised the guitar. I plan on having several done that way if I ever decide to sell it, the buyer can see that more than 1 place certified it as being the real deal because the condition is so well.

Nate D and Cali Dude like this.
  19. Jason Ralston

Yes the case is original too and also in really good condition. The guitar was never removed from the one bedroom closet since 1981. With the original owner, I was told that he had bought the guitar in late 1958 to learn how to play. But he only played it a few times himself and either didn’t have the time to learn or maybe it just wasn’t his thing? I was told that he had bought the guitar brand new in Nebraska. Since we live right on the Colorado/Nebraska border, that makes sense but I don’t know where he was living at the time or where in Nebraska he bought the guitar at? With the original owner, I was told that he is no longer alive but I do have his name. I did a little research and found 2 different people that had the same name and either 1 could be him. I have thought about maybe contacting family of his but am not sure? Part of me would really love to learn more details of the guitars life from 1958 to 1981 but at the same time, I also want to be respectful of the deceased.

With the second owner, who I bought it off of, they are a very private individual. They also did not want their name put out there that they owned or sold the guitar and for how much. I know the reasons why and they are legitimate reasons that are personal in nature so I assured them that I would keep the amount that I bought the guitar for private as well as their identity. I know that part sounds odd but it truly is for a very legitimate reason that was shared with me so because of that, I want to respect the second owners privacy. But they did share with me as much as possible that they knew about the original owner and where he bought it from.

Here are some pics of the case.
    7EC17A25-7825-49EF-8139-7D54120FEE89.jpeg D4E302B4-BC3E-48E9-8460-CCD5845E6773.jpeg 4117BBE6-0DC9-4095-A5C7-13522BEC4305.jpeg 4EA0C521-E078-448B-B550-7126F6599CC0.jpeg 31047A44-196F-49C8-9BFA-5092FE4788D5.jpeg B22A7BCE-E6B1-42A2-BAB2-68ED6B8B19FE.jpeg

20. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @Jason Ralston

I wish. I had enough $ for a guitar that cool and beautiful:).