Please remember...

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
...many of my preferences are a matter of Cost Benefit Analysis and Diminishing Returns.

I am pretty sure that if I were wealthy, I would be buying super duper amps that are PERFECT and likely a different one for each genre I am interested in. Maybe two. Same with guitars. Hells to the Yeah I would search the world for necks that I love, looks that kill, and the most amazing pickups.

But........I'm not wealthy, and frankly, I can probably do 98 percent of the music I do on much more modest gear and even if I am only getting 90 percent of the tone for 10 percent of the cost, I'll take that alllllllllllll day.

200w.gif

Dibbs

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 8, 2020
North Central Florida
I'm just looking for a simple amp, without all those "sampler tones". I got a Mustang, it would be a great amp, if I could rip out all that fakey effect sound BS.

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA
...many of my preferences are a matter of Cost Benefit Analysis and Diminishing Returns.

I am pretty sure that if I were wealthy, I would be buying super duper amps that are PERFECT and likely a different one for each genre I am interested in. Maybe two. Same with guitars. Hells to the Yeah I would search the world for necks that I love, looks that kill, and the most amazing pickups.

But........I'm not wealthy, and frankly, I can probably do 98 percent of the music I do on much more modest gear and even if I am only getting 90 percent of the tone for 10 percent of the cost, I'll take that alllllllllllll day.

200w.gif

And
You're welcome

Meghans Dad

Strat-Talker
Jan 24, 2021
So. Cal.

200w.gif
Is there a perfect amp for any genre?

Last edited:

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
Is there a perfect amp for and genre?

Well, it would start with a Twin for glossly and spanky cleans, then a Marshall 50 watt half stack.....oh, wait, thats Eric Johnson's old rig....

Yes, I suspect that if money is no object that one could prove out that premise to a great degree.

But...................as I posted earlier, I can manage most of the same stuff with one amp to a degree that would be usable.

mikej89

Senior Stratmaster
May 12, 2016
River Falls, WI
I think having unlimited $$$ for gear would take most of the fun out of it. It would just be too easy. My dream Strat for instance is probably a real 1958 Mary Kaye. Well that's a 100k guitar, my 2010 Olympic White American Standard offers 90% of that functionally and aesthetically for 1% the price...

After $300 the diminishing returns on guitars really sets in hard.

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
All I know is cheap gear sucks probably 95% of the time. I dont like cheap gear. You can do stuff with cheap gear but yeah......

Affordable gear that sounds great is awesome!!!

There is a difference between affordable and dirt cheap gear for sure.

I think for like 200-400$ on a guitar and 200$ on an amp any player can sound great!!!!

But some of the pricey stuff sounds great but again at that point its just subjective and your not really going to sound better or play better to be honest but pricey gear is nice for sure as well and sometimes its worth it....

Affordable gear rocks though and without a doubt there is a lot of great affordable gear that sounds great!!!!

Hear hear to affordable gear thats sounds awesome!!!!