Please spell “relicked” correctly.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
When a C is followed by an E or an I, it makes the /S/ sound unless it is an already established rare exception. When you add -ed or -ing to a word like picnic, panic, or relic, you have to ad a K so that the C isn’t followed by an E or an I. So, it is picnicked, picnicking, panicked, panicking, relicked, and relicking. If you spell it “reliced,” it sounds like your adding lice to your guitar again. Gross. It would be cool if word got around, and we see it correct in future posts. Also, it’s “Squier.”
I spell it relic, relic’d, relic’ing. Or more often:fauxrelicsareforposers

Odysseus

Strat-O-Master
Dec 16, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
As a Latin word that comes to English through French (rélique) but with a non-Latin suffix, and given English has no orthographic rules that stand up to any kind of test, really you can spell it any way you damn well like. I always write it reliqued, but that's because I've always believed that English is little more than French spoken badly. :)

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
As a Latin word that comes to English through French (rélique) but with a non-Latin suffix, and given English has no orthographic rules that stand up to any kind of test, really you can spell it any way you damn well like. I always write it reliqued, but that's because I've always believed that English is little more than French spoken badly. :)
This is an ideal solution, at least as good as relic'd.

Unfortunately, as French-spoken-badly, I can think of plenty of people in my own life who would pronounce reliqued as [rel-i-kwed].

ukoldgit

Dr. Stratster
Feb 20, 2018
Wiltshire UK
The correct spelling, in English, if it were a real word would be "reliced".

The proper word for it is actually "ruined".

Down here it's called wrecked:D
header-norwegian-shipwrecks.jpg