Please Step Away From The Screw Driver

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Hanson, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Hanson

Hanson Strat-O-Master

Does Willy make a good point?

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

I think it's a bit of nonsense. Most people do not take their guitars apart as he says. Some do that shouldn't, others do that know their way around a little better. I wouldn't put a blanket proclamation on the practice, though; Leo designed these things to allow for easy maintenance.
    Repeated removals of the neck will wear out the screw holes over time, though. It isn't a good idea to take it off just because.
    I'd love to have some fun with that Jazzy, though. :D

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I don't think it hurts to take a guitar apart if you know what you are doing, and are careful. However, I never take mine apart unless I have a good reason.

4. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

This^

Deathray and JJ119 like this.
  5. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Seems like common sense to me. I wouldn't take my guitar apart "just 'cause." I've taken my 60th Anniversary Commemorative apart 1x in four years. Because I wanted to keep up with you guys on the "identify my Strat" threads. I don't expect to ever have it apart again.

My partscaster has a 22 fret board that overhangs the pickguard. As I've done a half dozen wiring schemes, it's been off quite a bit. Isn't that what partscasters are for?

blasphemoustrat and Old Guy like this.
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

He implies that people do this just as a matter of course, makes it sound like something people do as soon as they get it home or something. I disagree. Most players will never have the neck off.

jbylake and Ebidis like this.
  7. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I hardly ever do anything. Never taken a neck off. I adjusted pickup heights once and thought I was a master luthier.

bojanbeo, tinkertoy, Deathray and 5 others like this.
  8. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-O-Master Platinum Supporting Member

I swapped in a new neck on a Squier Tele one time. That's as close as I've gotten to any kind of major changes.

And I never touch a soldering iron.

9. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

I think it’s a more common practice today. In the age of the internet everybody thinks they are a expert. In the old days we were terrified to work on our guitars or take a neck off. Plus now we have all kinds of parts we can swap out or upgrade. Pickups, pots, pick guards or tuning keys people always changing stuff. Sometimes it better to leave them alone..

10. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

Seems like, if you are going to work on your own guitars, you should just get a DIY, and build it from scratch. It's about 175$(USD), and it helps you to learn your way around the axe, before jumping in, on a really nice guitar, and possibly turning it into firewood.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

As long as you're careful and don't go damaging the finish or try to remove wood, there really isn't much that isn't reversible. It's always good to have some basic know-how though, even it it's just to define what you're comfortable doing and if not, take to a pro. There's a lot of wisdom in admitting that you just don't feel comfortable taking on a task yourself.

Nadnitram, Lovnmesomestrat and Ebidis like this.
  12. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

The junkers and clunkers I put together.. who cares.

But if I happened onto a truly vintage strat or tele, yeah other than whatever it took to confirm age, I'd be leaving it alone.

Ebidis likes this.
  13. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

I buy used guitars mostly.
    One of the first things I do is tear into them and see whats under the hood. I dont like surprises.
    After that I only take guitars apart for adjustments.

CyFan4036, the dark sailor and JJ119 like this.
  14. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

Seems like an infomercial about selling your guitar through Willies guitars.

15. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

For me, it would depend on the level of provenance. The Jazzmaster we see obviously has a very high level of provenance. I'm good with that...and the neck would never be removed. I got a banjo like that...made in 1895, been under somebody's bed since before WWI. I pulled dust bunnies out of the case that were older than George Burns. No need to take it apart. I put on new strings and play the hell outta it.

However, it wouldn't take much less to make me insist the neck date be verified...and I would expect them to agree. Evidence the thing's been apart? Neck off. A replaced screw? Neck off. Broken chain of ownership? Neck off.

Once that "perfect" level of provenance has been busted, any intelligent collector/owner will want to see the numbers (neck, pots, etc.).

16. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

I think it is a great idea and that his points are valid.....I posted a Joe Bonamassa (hope the spelling is correct) video a couple of weeks ago and Joe basically said the same thing....Joe stated that if you are looking at purchasing a guitar and have concerns about that guitar....just walk away....something else will come along...

jbylake likes this.
  17. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

Lets face it, we want proof that what we see is what we get. It is pretty simple to collect a bucket of parts and assemble a vintage partscaster. Even the ones we see that should be original, like the jazzmaster could be a put together. Paperwork and hang tags sell on Reverb and EBay all the time. Makes a great story but if it were my 20k I would want it apart infront of me.

18. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

If he does have a point, why did he take apart the black strat?

nuculer terrist likes this.
  19. Mr. Lumbergh

That's a good point. The problem with modular guitars like these is that they're a lot easier to fake.

20. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

When i buy a used fender I take it completely apart to verify everything (and make sure it was put together correctly in the first place). After that, it only gets taken apart if it needs to be taken apart.

The only sensitive parts I see on a fender are the 4 screws for the neck and the truss rod.

BluesGuitarMart and fezz parka like this.