Join Strat-Talk Today

PNGD - Pending New Guitar Day

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by mapleglo, Oct 15, 2019.

1. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I think this sub forum is likely the best spot, as opposed to the acoustic sub forum.

Acoustasonic-order.jpg

My buddy at MF gave me a fairly good discount. On the down side, they're now charging sale tax, as of October. Crap - should have bought this last month. He did add 2 day shipping without an upcharge, so that was good.

I found myself switching between electric and acoustic way too often at gigs, and we order the set list according to vocals as opposed to what guitar I use. So I'm hoping this will eliminate all that switching. I'll probably still bring another guitar as a back up, but will likely use just this one if it is suitable.

I saw a Surf Green model sell on eBay for 1250 the other day. Kicking myself that I didn't bid. Would have matched my green case, too. The rep told me that these guitars will fit in a standard Tele case.

Full report after it arrives on Thursday.

2. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

I've been looking at those as well. Cant wait to see the full report!

mapleglo likes this.
  3. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

(Pending) congratulations!

mapleglo likes this.
  4. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I've been eyeballing those too! I haven't heard enough about them to make a decision though, so I shall await your report.

mapleglo likes this.
  5. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing.

Looking forward to a review seen a few on you tube, they look and sound great.:thumb:

I seen Fleetwood Mac back in 2013 and LB played a similar style all through the set, still don't know what that guitar was he even done the guitar solo to I'm Afraid

Paperback Rocker and mapleglo like this.
  6. mapleglo

Thanks for all the interest, everyone. Yeah, I'd been waiting for someone to do a better demo than the one on the Fender site, but there's very little out there. Perhaps I just haven't looked hard enough. In any event, I should know a lot more in a couple of days.

7. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

One thing I have noticed about this guitar is that it is up there in price with the Elites and doesn't include a genuine hard case! Nothing wrong with a gig bag, but it seems that they (Fender) would have made a custom hard case a part of this package. Maybe some detail I don't know is the reason?

3bolt79 and mapleglo like this.
  8. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

A $2000 Fender without a hard case is, as they say, bowl sheet.

I like these guitars a lot, but won't be buying until I find a killer deal. Tell us how you like it when you get yours.

mapleglo likes this.
  9. mapleglo

Yeah, it is disappointing that the guitar doesn't come with a hard case, especially at the 2k price point. Even more crazy are the fancy wood models which are $3200, and do not come in a hard case. My rep told me they fit in a standard Tele case, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

garyhoos1 and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

I’m very curious about these, but I’ve never seen one in real life.

As someone who primarily does vocals I’m always very happy when the rest of the band is that considerate! :thumb:

garyhoos1 and mapleglo like this.
  11. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster

I want one of these. I've played them at GC and they sound pretty incredible, but best of all to me, they feel like a really light Tele. I have a consistent (long term), mostly acoustic gig starting in January. And these things sound and feel amazing to me. The only thing holding me back right now is the price tag, it's pretty steep. But I have enough gear to flip to make it happen pretty quick! :sneaky:

Can't wait to hear your review.

garyhoos1 and mapleglo like this.
  12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Will be interested to see what you think of it.

mapleglo likes this.
  13. Smokey3

Smokey3 Strat-O-Master

They are great looking guitars for sure. I haven't heard from anyone who has played one yet but I bet it will play and sound great. Congrats and hope you love it, thanks

mapleglo likes this.
  14. Textele

It's Thursday......(night) :whistling:

mapleglo likes this.
  15. mapleglo

It got here literally minutes ago and I just got it out of the box.

Tele-sonic.jpg

First, immediate impressions:
    Nice gig bag.

gig bag.jpg

The guitar is as light as a feather. It feels like a toy, it's so light.
    It doesn't sound like a good acoustic guitar acoustically.
    It plays like an electric guitar. This was my hope. It's as easy to play as any of my Strats or Tele's.
    It was advertised as a "C" neck. Very comfortable, at least for the few minutes I've been playing it.
    It comes with a long USB cable, and there's a mini USB jack on the jack plate. I don't know if I should be impressed or scared.
    Even though it has the same controls as a standard Tele, it doesn't act like one according to those controls. It's a five position switch. This will take a little time to figure out. But straight into my DRRI amp, it sound pretty good. I can see this replacing both my acoustic and electric guitars for gigging.
    It smells very different from all other Fender guitars I've ever purchased. Maybe they're using a different finish on these.
    There are no string trees. Trying to figure out why.
    The fretwork is top notch, as to be expected with any American Fender.
    The guitar is set up perfectly, which also has been my experience with new American Fenders. The box was not sealed from the factory, so Musician's Friend may have been responsible.
    It came with standard strap buttons, so I will have to change them to Schaller Strap locks.

I like it so far.

16. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I believe the USB cable is to charge the batteries for the electronics on these.

Nice looking guitar; still haven't turned one up locally to check out, but they do look nice and have some cool technology in there.

TinyTree and mapleglo like this.
  17. mapleglo

Yes, just read the directions. That's right, I have to charge my guitar. They recommend charging it fully before playing it for the first time. Like that would have happened even if I had read the directions before I started playing the thing.

Edit - it should come with a USB charger.

duzie likes this.
  18. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

HNGD

mapleglo likes this.
  19. mapleglo

A few more pics:

AcoustasonicTele01.jpg

AcoustasonicTele02.jpg

AcoustasonicTele03.jpg

AcoustasonicTele04.jpg

So Fender thinks that staggered tuners eliminates the need for string tress, I guess.

Anyway, some further thoughts. It sounds better acoustically than I originally thought. I ordered a USB charger. For $10.00, they really should have included it. They should have also included locking tuners and a hard case. It's quite the versatile guitar. It's light as a feather. I'm really starting to love this neck. Per the specs, it's mahogany, with an ebony fingerboard. I apparently lucked out with the fingerboard - no streaks. It's pretty much solid black. It's very comfortable to play. That contoured forearm cut makes a big difference. I don't notice the lack of a belly cut like the one on my Elite Tele. I'll say that the forearm cut is more noticeable for comfort.

I'll see if I can't put together a video demo. I've been under the weather the last few days, to the point that I'm not going to play at this weekend's gig - very disappointing. But it's all a part of getting old, I suppose. There's always the gig next weekend.

20. Textele

That's it.

Heading out the door to go buy one now!

NGD coming soon!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.