Poison Ivy, again

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Lonn, May 7, 2021.

1. DancesWithWeasels

DancesWithWeasels Where there's a weasel there's a way Silver Member

You have my sympathies Lonn. Like Miotch I didn't get it as a kid but started being allergic in my 20's. Now it does really nasty things to me. I hunt it down and terminate the stuff with extreme prejudice.

I found it wise to learn to identify the plant, which can look like other plants at various stages. Mature vines on trees can resemble many other climbing plants, and young Virginia Creeper sometimes shows only three leaflets instead of five, making it resemble Poison Ivy. Birds love its fruit and happily spread the dang stuff.

I avoid using herbicides but I make an exception for Poison Ivy. I spot treat it with glyphosate (Roundup or equivalent). I mix up a spray bottle with a 2 to 3% solution and carefully spray the leaves. I avoid spraying anything else since it is very effective at killing broadleaf plants. I do this twice on subsequent days when there is no rain. The plant absorbs it and it interferes with growth processes. The plant withers and dies within a few days. It's best to do this in late spring or early summer when the plant is undergoing heavy growth.

2. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I sprayed the area last year generously with Roundup but didn't even think about it Wed evening while I was out there. Hopefully what I have now is all there will be as long as it doesn't spread.

3. MugHimself

MugHimself Strat-Talker

I get it pretty good every summer. I pop the bubbles with a pin it’s much less uncomfortable once you relive that pressure and then you can gently rub those areas to relieve the itching without scarring yourself up.

4. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

I thought you meant this...

JB74 likes this.
  5. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Bugger, I always thought you'd be pretty safe in the good ole US of A, what with snakes and spiders and other critters biting and scratching I now have a slightly modified view, don't get me wrong, I have been over around 20 or so times but never really been out in the sticks or away from metropolis land.
    Suppose you just have to be dressed for it:D:eek:
    [​IMG]

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  6. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I look for the 3 leaves. I spray it down with a salt/Dawn mixture that kills it.

The Urushiol will stay active for years. The best thing to use is Dawn dish soap. It encapsulates the oil.

jbylake likes this.
  7. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

If you happen to have an Aloe Vera plant, cut a 2 inch piece and rub the exposed meat side on the rash. Also works good for burns and sun burns. If not get the best Aloe Vera gel (concentrate) and try that. Works well for me.

fezz parka likes this.
  8. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Poison Ivy is annoying I am sure. Luckily I haven't encountered it.
    But I have encountered other similar.
    We have two nasties from where I grew up that are everywhere in the bush. one of them is Dangerous AF.

It's called the stinging tree -or gympie gympie, and there's the slightly cynically named Wait-a-while vine.

If you've ever seen what happens to some poor bugger who's been caught up in either, It's not pretty.

Have a look at this one if you want to see it.
    https://www.envirocare.org.au/plant-profile.html

Up in Tully gorge, where jungle warefare training used to be conducted, the plants were prolific, and medivac procedures were 'routine' for either. THe thorns fromt he wait-a-while break off under the skin, become infected and cause tropical ulcers that take months to heal. The sting tree, well, you actually never really get over it. the pain can return at the injury site decades later and it's just like you got hit by it yesterday.

Ironically the root sap is ideal, as are fig vines or banyan tree vine sap, for removing the needles. It dries like latex, and you pull them out. Better still is plastic spray - most of us used to carry a can in medical kits and packs when out in the bush. Horrifc pain for those who are unfortunate enough to experience it. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

9. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

It's everywhere here. A few years ago I got a whopper case and was planning on going to the ER when one of my relatives mentioned that her husband had over chlorinated their pool so bad the smell was terrible. So yours truly bolted up and took a dip and the next day the oozy mess that was my legs had dried completely up...

10. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Senior Stratmaster

It's expensive but Zanfel https://zanfel.com/help is the very best skin treatment/cure for poison ivy I've ever used, period end of story. It will relieve the itch in seconds and the ivy rash itself is usually completely gone by the next day; at least on me.

trapdoor2 and JB74 like this.
  11. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-O-Master

My daughter recently had to take a pee in the woods on a walk, and got stinging nettles right up the chuff. How we laughed!

12. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

There was a type of stinging nettles on Vandenberg AFB in central CA on the coast. Run into one of them and find out about pain. It was immediate acting, and the swollen area would cause intense pain. I've encountered stinging nettles before, but never anything like that.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Poison Ivy vines (they have those millipede-like continuous feet gripping trees) will retain the oil even when the leaves are gone. If you weed-whack an area the leaf and stem chips get flung around and you can get reactions on your shins.

If you've ever worked on a car and know how black crank-case or wheel-bearing grease sticks and doesn't come out of your skin easily -- that is the same problem poison ivy oil has but you cannot see it. If you use a washcloth for the mechanical scrubbing action with a good soap like 'Dawn' dish soap (I use 'Dawn' to clean up after working on the car anyway) you can get poison ivy all off and not have any problem. Use warm to cold water as hot water will spread the oil around. When the ivy oil sits on your skin for a day or two or three people get a reaction to it. One of the most frequent locations is in between fingers where people don't get the 'grease' off as easily as the outer surfaces.

So treat a possible exposure like getting machine grease off and you'll have a great chance to skip any problems.

If you only have a few plants growing in a flower bed then you can put your hand inside a plastic bag, pull the plant, and then shuck the plastic bag off your hand trapping all the leaves inside the bag, then dispose of the plant.

Other than Roundup (which has been linked to nasty stuff), a mix of dish soap, vinegar, and salt will kill ivy too if sprayed on the leaves but less quickly than Roundup and you may need to reapply after a rain.

14. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-O-Master

When I was a kid in Memphis, we had some woods and both poison ivy and poison oak were abundant. We got a horse and he cleaned everything except the ferns from the ground up to 7 feet. Poison ivy and poison oak had no effect on the horse. Goats can be rented to do the same thing. Be advised that they don't discriminate about vegetation - the horse would attack the Japanese Maple that my mom prized whenever he escaped from his fenced yard. Mom didn't think that the horse was very good at Bonsai.

If you can rent a horse or goats and pen them to the areas where the poison ivy and poison oak exist, then they will clean it for you. If you have plants that you want preserved, a "cage" is recommended.

15. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Looks like I started this thread back on the 7th. I thought the initial outbreak had pretty much passed on my left forearm but nope, both forearms and both hands now are pretty much covered and it's spread to my legs in a couple of spots and my face again. Haven't been in the back yard for a week now other than sitting on the deck in the morning for coffee. I'm going to have to hire someone to come clear out this stuff in the next day or two. This really sucks.

FireFunkRevival likes this.
  16. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Next time try wearing clothes when you are gardening.

fezz parka and FireFunkRevival like this.
  17. FireFunkRevival

FireFunkRevival Strat-Talker

Every single year... I could be upwind of it and see it 50 yards away and I wake up with it.

18. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Head to the doc-in-the-box. You'll get a steroid shot and a "dosepak" of steroid pills...which you take for a week.

For the next 30 days, you're golden.

I use Zanfel for minor spots. Naptha soap also works, but not as well or as quickly. Detergents never worked for me.

19. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

Stay away from me lol. Allergic doesn't even begin to describe how bad it gets me. I remember in elementary school in the 80s, maybe 4th grade, I had it bad. It was all over my neck, my face. Everywhere. The teacher got onto me for chewing gum in class but I wasn't. Then she thought I was chewing gum a 2nd time and trying to hide it so she got even madder...until either I told her or she realized I had poison ivy.

They made my mom come get me and we went to the doctor. He was all "don't you know what it looks like by now?" because I ALWAYS got into it somehow.

The last time, I was weedeating and hit a patch and I was covered. Face. Arms. Legs. Hands. It was everywhere. Ugh.

20. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

I've never had it bother me or any type of reaction to it. And really up until this year I wouldn't say I'd ever had a sunburn either, but some of the medications that I take make me prone to sunburns. I got a little red but that was it. Never had anything with any type of poison ivy though.