Pole piece alignment question

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Wolf5150, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Wolf5150

Wolf5150 Former Member

I fancy fitting some real single coils in the mid and neck of my beloved Anderson but the string spacing is unusually narrow .... 51mm at the bridge and 50mm over the neck pickup.
    Every single coil I own is 53mm and when I fit it the strings are nowhere near the pole pieces.
    In fact the only string that lines up is the G.
    Both E strings are way inside the poles and the others miss by varying amounts.

Before I waste my money, what's the reality ?
    Will the tone / definition of the notes be an issue ?
    Would flat poles help ?

I can't find anyone who makes a narrow true single and I can't get that magical in-between tone from my existing noiseless pickups.

Any Anderson owners in here ?

2. ashcastermetal

ashcastermetal Senior Stratmaster

You'll be fine with any single cool, it's mostly ascthetic. The string will be picked up fine even if it's aliitle inside or outside the polepieces.

3. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

I would put a blade style pickup in it.

4. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Strat-O-Master

Many of the D. Allen sets have narrow spaced single coils for neck and middle.

I don't think it matters very much, so I'd choose whatever pickups you like best.
    Anyway.. How much can you hear the sound dropout when you bend the high E string?

5. Wolf5150

Wolf5150 Former Member

It's actually the low E that I'm worried about.

6. NEStrataholic

NEStrataholic Senior Stratmaster

The A pole will pick up the low E. Actually, they all act together to create a magnetic field over and through the pickup. There will be stronger areas over the pole pieces and those areas will be shaped differently depending on things like beveling.

While the strength is slightly more directly over a pole piece, the overall pickup will still sense any string vibration. Having the pole pieces outside of the strings is better than the reverse, but even that isn't a big problem.

7. StratoTerr

StratoTerr Senior Stratmaster

It definitely sounds different, better crisper note definition when the poles aline as well as sparklier harmonics. Having said that I'm happy w a Strat Bridge (ebay one-of, from where and when ever, w widely spaced poles)I use for a Neck p/up that only lines up w the G string.

8. Wolf5150

Wolf5150 Former Member

I bought a pair of Dimarzio noiseless to try.
    They're spacing is 51mm and lines up fairly close.
    Didn't gig it last night but I may tonight if I get time to set the heights.