Polishing turds

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Lonn, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    We've all tried, sometimes failing and sometimes succeeding. Let's hear the success stories. This is my latest and probably turned out the best of all my attempts. I paid $20 for the initial guitar at a pawnshop. It has a no-name body with a bass boat red sparkle finish and a Glen Burton neck. All that's left of the original are the body and neck, which were the reasons I bought it in the first place. Both are banged up and genuinely relic'd and I like that. I added vintage style tuners, loaded guard from a Fender USA FSR Strat, and a Fender MIM tremolo unit. I also had to replace the S1 switch but that was an easy fix on this particular model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ivan975

Ivan975 Strat-Talker

Nicely done, congratulations!

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

That's looks great, love the zebra humbucker! I'm surprised any pawn shop would sell a decent guitar for only $20, how would they make any money?

Nadnitram and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

That’s a nice turd. <- Please don’t quote that.

Diamond D, mikej89 and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    When I bought it it had nylon strings literally tied in knots at both the bridge and tuner ends. Never seen anything like that.

Collin D Plonker and soulman969 like this.
  6. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

It's kind of difficult to decide which of my guitars is the epitome of polished-turdness, so here's a selection:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The Kay LP is still not great, but I've (hopefully) sold it for a small profit, which counts as a success in my book.

Groovey and Chuck8436 like this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

I like the red sparkle...that it is a player is even better!

8. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-O-Master

1994 Ibanez RG270 on the left. Drove 2 and a half hours to go get it, then the same to bring it home. I was looking for a metallic RG with a maple board and I paid 50 bucks for it from CL. Replaced the trem with a Floyd 1000 I bought on CL for $70 and recently replaced the tuners and locking nut to match. I had to re-solder the pups in place only to find that the bridge is a squealer that needs to be waxed. Go figure. I'm gonna put a new set of pups in it anyways, so I'll pass on the waxing. The neck has some bow in it and I've done about all I can do with the truss rod. I'm gonna try again, but right now it is happily sleeping in a hard case in my closet and isn't going anywhere. I thought I had a picture of it in my phone with the new black hardware, but I guess not.

20180109_103734.jpg

9. lowatter

lowatter Strat-Talk Member

I would reshape the headstock to a traditional strat to make it look less "cheap" if I may. JMHOYMMV

10. Diamond D

Diamond D Strat-Talker

Here's my turd. Not exactly a polished one but she's a great player now. It's a Chinese Yako made 2004 Squire Affinity. Got it for $85.
    Pretty banged up. Broken tuner. Dinged and chipped paint job. Cracked plastic nut. Sanded headstock with no decal or finish. Noisy pots and switch. Poorly grounded jack. Stripped out trem block. (I may have had something to do with that part.) 20200924_143832.jpg
    Replaced the tuners with Road Worn Vintage Tuners. Made a Franken nut for the time being. (It's part bone and part plastic.) New pre-cut StewMac nut is ordered. Refin'd the headstock (vintage amber) and added Canadian decals. Sanded back of neck to smooth with no finish. Dressed the frets. Removed crappy neck shim. Sanded down the chipped poly clear coat. Replaced entire bridge and trem assembly with mostly MIM stuff. Big trem block and new trem arm. Body, neck, (ceramic) pickups and pots are all still original Affinty. About 100 bucks for the new parts. She's gig worthy now. Played a couple gigs with just a Blues Jr, no pedals and this guitar. Good times with a polished turd!

Attached Files:

soulman969 and BlurgyWurgyWibble like this.
  11. Diamond D

Diamond D Strat-Talker

I got aLOT of help from people here so thanx y'allz!

12. pazman6

pazman6 Senior Stratmaster

I have 2 polished turds that didn't come out as shiny as hoped, but they were both cheap and fun to do.

$60 Ibanez RG120 that I gave the EVH taped up paint job to. Before it was all scratched up black. Actually a really nice playing guitar.
    Guitars 178.JPG
    The second is a 1990s Hamer Slammer $65 pawnshop special. Removed the floyd rose and filled the body and added a fixed bridge and gave it the EVH meets Jesus paint job.

Before, During, and After
    hamer1.jpg hamer2.jpg hamerpaint1.jpg hamerpaint2.jpg 2008-01-11 033.jpg 2008-01-11 032.jpg

And finally a mid-late 80's Korean Squier Bullet 1 for $20 at a pawnshop. Painted it blue and gave it to my grandson for his 3rd birthday.
    20191205_214118.jpg

13. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Nice work, but I'm going to ask: what's with that Fender logo on a Squier?

Lost Sailor likes this.
  14. Diamond D

Diamond D Strat-Talker

Archetype said
    "Nice work, but I'm going to ask: what's with that Fender logo on a Squier?"

It came without a logo. I had a sheet of decals that were Fender ones. It's not to dupe anybody. That's all.

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

2005 Squier Standard Strat

I bought this guitar for $27 after some negotiations with the seller, another booth operator at the antique mall where I had a booth. The guitar had been used as a litterbox by a previous owner's cat! This ruined everything under the pickguard as well as the bridge assembly. Fortunately, the finish and the heavy shielding paint prevent penetration into the wood, otherwise only the neck would have been salvageable. After fixing it up,and going through several pickup iterations, here's how it looks today with an Artec Power Rails bridge and a Guitar Madness Songbird in the neck.

squierstandardstrat2.png

soulman969 likes this.
  16. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

That's how you deal with nasty cracked/holed/damaged poly for sure. Great job!

Diamond D likes this.
  17. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

By giving the poor, desperate sod that took it in $2

pazman6 likes this.
  18. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You want to start a paragraph and that's what you go with?

Diamond D likes this.
  19. little_wing142

little_wing142 Senior Stratmaster

20. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

Great work Lonn! Looks terrific and I bet it sounds terrific.