Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Poll About the F '57/'62 099-2117-000 s

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Zkay, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Zkay

Zkay New Member!

Dec 11, 2012
    Toronto
    I purchased two sets of Fender part number 099-2117-000 "Original Stratocaster '57/'62 Pickups" about a year apart (both via Amazon) - and the second set I received differed significantly from the first:

1) The first set was ordered in Dec 2010 (shipped by Amazon). This set had beveled edges (as pictured on the box) and DC resistances of 5.86K, 6.18K and 6.3K. (I am very, very happy with this set - I needed it to replace the original pickups in my 1972 Strat when it got down to just one original pickup working (first died/replaced in '78, second in '10...). I like these '57/62's more than what was in there originally - btw, the DC res of my '72 pup is 5.39K)

2) The second set I ordered a year later, Jan 2011 (from GO-DSP via Amazon) to replace pickups in a MIM '09 Strat. This set had very thin bevels (not at all like pictured on the box) and the DC resistances of all three pickups were identical 5.55K. They sound great in that guitar (which I had ran across and bought used for its nice 'acoustic' sound/sustain).

The bobbins colors (black) and staggering of poles look very similar/identical between the two sets. The packaging boxes, labels, etc. look identical for both sets. The boxes indicate a dc resistance of 5.6K even though that was not true (even with tolerances) for my set #1.

I would like to ask members that had bought this Fender part 099-2117-000 in the past, and still have the pups, are familiar with and are willing to take a multi-(ohm)-meter to a patch-cord attached to the guitar jack and measure each of these pickups with the volume pot completely at max position and report on the values they measured along with the date of acquisition of the pups and also observe how much the beveling resembles that shown on the box. (The volume pot, usually 250K, is in parallel with the pup and can be factored out to get the true pup resistance - but the pot has to be all the way to max).

I would be also interesting to hear the same info from '57 or '62 AVRI owners that had these pickups installed at the factory...

I really like my set #1 and would hesitate to order another set, if the responses would indicate that there might have been a change in manufacturing or supplier for this Fender part-number... sometimes late in 2010 or in 2011.

Information about vintage Fender parts on the web indicates that around '62, the average DC resistances of pickups were indeed in the 6.2 - 6.3K range... So it baffles me why would have they deviated from this DC R range, especially if these are claimed as "reverse engineered from an original '63 strat...".

Thanks!

2. MarceloBR

MarceloBR Strat-Talk Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Brazil
    If I remember right, the 57/62 pickups were "updated" some years ago. The older version had non-beveled magnets. The newer version has beveled magnets and, at least mine, are all the same resistance (5.6k).

I have a Fender Catalog from 2002, and they talk about these "new" pickups. They did a lot of research to get the same magnets and wires from the vintage pups.

3. Zkay

Zkay New Member!

Dec 11, 2012
    Toronto
    Thank you! So it may be that the 'small-beveled, 5.6K' set I received in 2011 was actually older stock... It would be interesting to hear experiences of others. When did you get yours?

4. MarceloBR

MarceloBR Strat-Talk Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Brazil
    I got them on ebay, 2 months ago. The first set you got has cloth wires too?

5. Zkay

Zkay New Member!

Dec 11, 2012
    Toronto
    Yes, both sets have 'cloth' wires. Only the beveling and resistances are (very) different.

6. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy Strat-O-Master

Jul 3, 2010
    cali
    I just ordered a set. I'll be a bit before I can crack them open...(moving cross country), but I'll pull out one of my multi meters and check it out when I get to installing them.

7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    Finland (forest area)
    My 2001 62RI has pickups that measure 6.08, 6.07 & 6.13 & they look like this.

[​IMG]

8. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 21, 2013
    Merseyside UK
    The pickups were changed in 1998, it's unlikely old stock would still be available..
    The original 57/62s were part number 99-2043-000, DC resistance around 6.0k, poles very lightly bevelled and used plain enamel wire (dark red).
    The later versions, part number 099-2117-000 used formvar (orange-colored) and the poles are quite heavily bevelled.
    The set I bought very recently 2 are 5.9k and the other 6.0k not the 5.6k stated on the box. However, I believe the ambient temperature can affect the DC resistance of pickup coils so we would need to know what the temp was when Fender measured them.
    Are they genuine? I've no reason to doubt they are.

9. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 21, 2013
    Merseyside UK
    Deleted
    Duplicate post. Somthin wrong with the quick reply???

10. Zkay

Zkay New Member!

Dec 11, 2012
    Toronto
    Thanks! So stratman323's pickups look exactly and measure very similarly to the first set I received. The difference between 6.1 and 5.6 is 0.5 which is 8-10% - that would take 20C temp difference (not likely) if you take copper temp coefficent at 0.4%/degC. Most of us (and a tech shop) would measure the pups around room temp (21..23C/71..75F), I presume. I'd think they have either re-tooled/changed specs or they have two (or more) sources for the same part#.