Join Strat-Talk Today

Poll: How do you feel about new strings?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dirocyn, Jul 11, 2019.

How do you feel about new strings?

1. I love brand new strings best. When they stop sounding like new strings, it's time to change them

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. I prefer strings that have broken in, after they've been on the guitar for a day.

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. I prefer strings that have broken in, after they've been on the guitar for 2 weeks

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. I prefer old strings, and never change them unless I have to.

8 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Personally, I don't like new strings. They have a "zing" to them that I find irritating. Usually they mellow after maybe 2-4 hours of steady playing--or after about 2 weeks and only a little playing. But I know my ears and my preferences are different from everybody else. So, poll time! How do y'all feel about them?

Biddlin, davidKOS and abnormaltoy like this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Strings sound best about two days before they get taken off for a new set. :confused:

3. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-Talker

I am just like you brand new they seem to harsh but after about 4 hrs of play the sound better and after 10 hrs they sound how I like them to sound.

Biddlin, abnormaltoy and dirocyn like this.
  4. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i love new strings but not the new string zing.

Biddlin, abnormaltoy and dirocyn like this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Same here. I change them when the wound D starts getting lumpy. Even then I usually just change the wound three, and leave the unwound three in place if they're still in nice shape, since they don't hold dirt or get particularly worn. I never liked the zing of new strings. Flatwounds are nice in that respect... they don't zing. But my current favorite is half-rounds. They sound like rounds, but feel smooth on the fingers and don't screech when you change chords. D'Addario has them in 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12, as well as 10-52 light top, heavy bottom.

Biddlin and abnormaltoy like this.
  6. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

I love the new string zing or whatever you call it.

7. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

For Strats I like new, brand spankin new strings the best...chords sound great, more shine!

But in general, I think they are more useful from the next day until a couple of weeks have past.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Biddlin and Electgumbo like this.
  8. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

Yep I love new strings. I prefer them after an hour or so when they've fully stabilised but I don't find the sound to change then. For me they stay consistent for a good long while then suddenly seem to drop off a cliff and sound dull. Then I know it's time to change.

I always wonder whether not sweating much and having pretty dry hands helps them to stay in good shape for longer. I know people that wear through strings after a couple of weeks of casual play, I can normally get a good 6 months out of them.

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

It never gets warm enough to make my hands sweat. :p

Biddlin and davidKOS like this.
  10. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

In your line of work...funky stuff, I can't see dead or dying strings shining through.

CigBurn, Electgumbo and Biddlin like this.
  11. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

Yep I guess us Yorkshire folk don't tend to have that problem!

abnormaltoy, Biddlin and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  12. davidKOS

davidKOS still at it Strat-Talk Supporter

My picking technique is bright enough that I don't particularly need or like the "zing" of fresh-out-the-pack strings. I like them best when stretched in and past the brand-new sound. I don't have acid sweat and I wipe my strings off after playing (between the strings and fingerboard too) and as such, strings can last me months.

When I start breaking them, I know it's time to change the whole set.

Biddlin and dogletnoir like this.
  13. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

When i used to play in rock bands (and used Ernie Ball Slinkys), i would change strings once a week.
    Then again, i only had one guitar, and practiced a minimum of 3 hours a day.
    Nowadays, i have less free time to practice, and the wear and tear gets spread over a number of guitars.
    i am also playing a different style of music, so now i mainly use D'Addario Chrome flat wounds (.011 - .050),
    and will only change a string if it breaks. They sound the way i want them to right out of the package, and
    the sound doesn't really change over time imo.

On the other hand, those are D'Addario round wound 11s, and they are probably at least 10 years old, LOL.
    The Fender Musicmaster/Princeton combination is still pretty bright, imo.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    davidKOS likes this.
  14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I love new strings. I will say I like them after about 30 minuets of play and once they have been fully stretched and settled. I have never understood folks who say they like dead string tones, especially on acoustics. New strings intonate, stay in tune and ring truer than dead ones. I have 6 guitars (4 electric and two acoustics) and change the strings on each roughly every 3 weeks so I am usually changing strings on a guitar every week.

15. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

I haven't "broken " a string in a few decades, but maybe that's because I change them every 40-50 hours of play. I had some EBs unwind at the ball end last year and switched brands after three high es in a row unwound on me.
    I started using D'Addario NYXLs on my Gibsons and Epis last year and get a lot longer "life" out of them compared to EBs or GHS. I use Rev. Willy's Mexican Lottery Brand No. 7s on my 25.5" scale guitars.
    I like the "zing" and use finger-ease before and after a live set and wipe them down with a soft cloth after every use. I'm kind of fascinated by those who claim to "stretch" steel guitar strings. What kind of hydraulics or rams do you use to do that? I put my strings on, tune 'em, pull the wraps tight around the tuner posts on non-lockers, retune and they are "stable." Obviously ymmv![​IMG]

davidKOS likes this.
  16. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

I change ‘em when they break.

17. Birdsong

Birdsong Strat-Talker

I usually don’t change to they get all dinged up , but I do like the slick feel of new strings

18. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I love the feel of old strings but every year or so I get around to re-stringing a guitar and I'm amazed at how much more alive it sounds.

I have a 12 string acoustic that is way overdue for a changing and it's going to get one soon.

19. davidKOS

davidKOS still at it Strat-Talk Supporter

These are also my string brand of choice; 9's, 10's, and 12's depending on the guitar.

20. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I like the sound of strings that are a day old. If I’m using pure nickel, I wind up changing strings after about a week because the windings get mashed in pretty short order. But the nickel plated steel wrapped strings tend to last about a month. I don’t mind changing strings though, so I use the pure nickel most of the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.