Poll: Which guitar allows you to best express yourself

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Jackie Treehorn, Mar 27, 2009.

Guitar that best allows you to be you

1. Strat

23 vote(s)
    65.7%
  2. Tele

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Les Paul

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. SG

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. ES-335

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  6. PRS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Acoustic

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  8. Bass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Shredder guitar

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. Hollowbody

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Strat-Talker

Some of us just adapt to whatever guitar is in hand (Hi John).

But which guitar allows you to best express you?

2. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Strat-Talker

Well, I did a good job of double posting. A humble way to start the day. I voted Tele as it best fits where I'm at musically at this point in my life.

3. Extra crispy

Extra crispy Senior Stratmaster

It's going to be what suits the player. I couldn't imagine Roy Buchanan playing a Strat anymore than i could imagine SRV playing a Gibson L5. Of course they're going to play great on whatever.
    "Johnny A" was a Strat player for a long time and admits he was lost in the crowd, he switched to Gibsons a while back and soon found his natural place in the natural order of things. Check out the youtube of him playing "Oh Yeah" you can plainly see he is completely one with his Gibby.
    It's always been Strats for me, although I surely love playing my ES 295.

4. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

I honestly can be me on any guitar. If you see my post of me playing the worst guitar in the world you see what I mean. I am not saying I am great but I sound the same on any guitar.

5. Giant

Giant Senior Stratmaster

gonna get smashed probably, but i have an Ibanez fixed bridge RG that gives me mostly everything i want. (as far as rock and metal)Its got two HBs, with a five way switch for coil tapping. like i said, MOSTLY everything i want. it cant do a solid strat sound, but thats what the strat is for.
    for blues rock/classic rock i got with my 94 tele special. got a stock HB in the neck, and i put in a Seymour Duncan hotrail at the bridge.
    for any Hendrix, blues, stratty, need-a-good-clean-tone type thing, i go straight for the strat. i can plug that thing into a clean amp with no reverb, no fx and it sounds great. when i want quiet time, i go for the strat.

btw, my stuff is MIM, except of the Ibanez which is one of the Japanese ones. (not the junky korean ones or indonesian. ha ha)

6. Intonator

Intonator Strat-Talker

Thats ok...I copied my reply from the other one...

It actually depends on my mood.

The Tele can handle most of it,

Sometimes though, the acoustic is needed.

7. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Jackie, you are trying to confuse me now :D

As I said in the other thread, I do express myself better with guitars that sustain a lot, such as my Gibsons and PRS.

If you force me to select one from the list, it would have to one of my baby 335's, the 339 or 336.

8. bowhunter

bowhunter Strat-O-Master

Out of all the guitars I`ve played in my life,,I would say I express myself best with my Fender Stratocaster,,,Pure emotion!!!!!

9. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat

Boy am I glad that you can pick more then one in this poll. Some days its all about the acoustic thing and other days it's the Stratocaster calling for me.

Jackie, I am glad to hear that you like the tele. That is going to be my next guitar purchase, just as soon as I figure out which one I want. Any inside tips on tele's?

10. TIMB

TIMB Strat-O-Master

It does'nt really matter to me,just depends on what type of tone I'm looking for.Although I find myself useing an SG most of the time.

11. elementlax

elementlax Senior Stratmaster

i actually borrowed a friends 335 and i LOVED it, but im a bluesman and for some reason i always go back to the strat for that

12. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

you don't have a catagory for my Gretsch New Jet. it's a semi-hollowbody guitar. as others have said, it doesn't matter which of my guitars that I pick up. it's still going to be me playing the guitar. I have an old Gretsch hollowbody, a LP, a Strat, an accoustic, and the New Jet.

13. Toadlc

Toadlc Strat-Talker

I answered Strat. I have to say that my parts-caster Strat (my avatar) is my favorite out of all my guitars but it is a hardtail and I think that has something to do with it. It also depends on my mood & what I want to play. Sometimes my Tele is right, other times it's my Ovation. Why have a bunch unless you use them?

14. Astro1176

Astro1176 Senior Stratmaster

The poll doesn't have 'other' as an option :(

15. 07 road house

07 road house Senior Stratmaster

I picked strat but I love my tele and sg

16. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

I find that humbuckers limit me. When I play them I really just play chords and sound like everyone else.

My style really comes out with a strat.

17. StratoBrew

StratoBrew Strat-O-Master

I only have a Tele and a Strat right now and if I had to pick one it'd be the Tele. The Strat has closed the gap considerably, but I think the Tele still suits me just a bit better.

I definitely prefer guitars with single coil pickups, like Shades of Blue. I tend to just blast away with humbuckers, while single coils bring out a more nuanced style in my playing.

18. PeteG45

PeteG45 Strat-O-Master

My Strat still has me under it's spell and I feel like I can play it with more feeling. My Tele would be a close second but right now it's my Strat. +1 to what both Shades and StratoBrew said.

19. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Strat-O-Master

Because my heart lies in classic, chicken pickin', mostly Bakersfield sound country, the Tele is what does it for me. But I'm also a big Clapton and Knopfler fan, so I have Strat appreciation, too.

But for the poll I picked Tele.

20. ASHSRV

ASHSRV Strat-Talker

I voted for Strat but the acoustic can aswell it's more of a lyrical thing though.