Poll: why nitro finish?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by diogoguitar, Sep 2, 2020.

why do you like nitro finish?

1. Feel

41 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. I didn't pick the guitar for the nitro finish. I picked the guitar for other reasons.

62 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Worn look after many hours playing it

48 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Resonance

12 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. I prefer poly

41 vote(s)
    18.3%
  6. Historically accurate

20 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Some buy a Nitro finish guitar for other specs, too.

I suspect that some Nitro fans enjoy the history, and they also know the current process used by large cos. is NOT the same as 50 years ago- when our grandparents (or maybe your great-grandparents) had natural dark hair on their heads. ;)

2. Peter_Polfeldt

Peter_Polfeldt Strat-Talk Member

If youre doing it w a spraycan. The nitro thinner - toulen - evapourates and the finish hardens 100%.
    Most of the car-paint poly spraycans never go 100% hard, therefore less brittle finishes.
    I think that affects the tone some.
    also the polishing is affected.
    And all of the above.

3. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

And yet all the sought after Fenders from their golden age, the '50's and '60's under Leo's control used nitro (with some acrylic). ;)

4. thcguitars

thcguitars Strat-Talk Member

Lacquer takes a long time to cure. During that time, the finish matures and the "depth" of the finish increases. Nitro stays clear much longer, is resistant to UV staining and anytime in the life of the instrument, the top coat can be buffed, or other coats added and the fish will remain homogeneous. Also I think it handles gassing better - not as brittle. Poly shoots well.

5. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Thanks everyone. Ok, I'm convinced - I'm not going through the hassle of getting another nitro finished guitar just for having it.

I would basically have to have the body shipped from warmoth to MJT and have it finished there. Too much work/cost. Warmoth finish it is.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    StratoMutt likes this.
  6. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Wait, what?

“Nitro stays clear much longer, is resistant to UV staining and anytime in the life of the instrument, the top coat can be buffed, or other coats added and the fish will remain homogeneous. Also I think it handles gassing better - not as brittle.”

I’ve never found Nitro resistant to UV or staining. Those would be characteristics of one of the poly type finishes or the very new two part finishes Fender has been using but not nitro.

Bob the builder likes this.
  7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

I was wondering if anyone would pick-up on that post .. all I can say is I reckon someone was "speed reading" and hit a speed bump at 1000 words a second....

r

8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I was gonna say
    I ain't no expert on guitar but I've been in woodshops and remodeling for a little over 40 years
    Laquer is gonna yellow way before poly

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  9. Ronkirn

I dunno where that one came from but... Poly makes the perfect primer/sealer for nitro... in fact the original FullerPlast was a precursor to the modern polys...

If you're refinishing a guitar, unless the finish is absolutely trashed, do not strip it... fill dings with BonDo.. give it a coat or two of primer, then go immediately to the color coat....

what causes "fish-eyer" is contaminants in/on the wood or existing finish... here is what "fish eye" looks like.. this guitar was probably contaminated with Silicone, Wax, or something else that wasn't removed prior to the first coats going down.

r

[​IMG]

jofish and Andrew Wasson like this.
  10. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

spraying Lacquer over fullerplast is not the same as spraying lacquer over a polyUrethane finish. Fullerplast kind of sucks as a base primer coat too, IMO. Taylor uses it because it is fast and helps prevent lacquer checking which is something I want the finish to eventually do. We use vinyl sealer which is much better in a nitro finish application. There are many different ways to finish a guitar and even in the same type of finish and whatever gets you to the end result. The proof is the end result. Every brand of every finish is different as well, and each finishing product has a data sheet with recommendations and those never apply exactly when doing guitar finishes. Every professional luthier has evolved their finishing processes through lots of trial and error and each has reached their skill level doing it in different ways. Contamination is also a problem when overspraying such as in your photo, but I’ve decontaminated many guitars with cleaning and naphtha and you still get fisheye problems if you don’t put a barrier coat of vinyl sealer before spraying nitro.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  11. Ronkirn

well you're right, as am I... I didn't say Fullerplast WAS a Polyurethane, I said it was the precursor to Poly's. So if ya sprayed Nitro over Fullerplast you wouldn't be spraying it over Poly, and If you sprayed it over Poly, you wouldn't be spraying it over Fullerplast..

However the two most often used on guitar's behave very much alike and make an excellent sealer primer.. IMO

Now, in a production environment there are indeed many finishing systems available, but some are completely devoid a barrier coating of anything vinyl... But, as ya said, whatever gets ya to the finish line in the manner you prefer is the perfect manner in which to finish your guitars..

12. ThinLizzy73

ThinLizzy73 Strat-Talker

I never play my Gibson because it stays in the case due to the nitro finish. My Fender gets played everyday because it can sit on a guitar stand. This is so much the case, that I’m thinking about getting an Epi Les Paul just so that I can leave it on the stand.

13. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

:eek:

You sir, are a bad, bad man! ;)

14. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

My Eric Johnson Strat is thin nitro over poly but I’d say it’s thin nitro over a thin wood conditioner or clear primer. It sits on a stand, leans against the couch or hangs on the wall. It gets played way more that way and the nitro hasn’t suffered as a result. It’s a 2007 model.

15. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I ain't been in a spray booth in alot of years.
    Wouldn't a product like smoothie help out?

16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

Cotton socks to cover your stand, and you needn't worry about the nitro. Just make sure it's cotton and not some sort of synthetic fiber.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Andrew Wasson and mexipan like this.
  17. mexipan

mexipan Strat-Talker

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you !

Nitro finishes are realistic, and the satisfaction of the relic effect after playing your axe for a while is, to me, the reason to play a guitar so much.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  18. Adf91081

Adf91081 Strat-Talk Member

Thin nitro every time. Ideally worn in. I’m finding the latter to be paramount for me. So much so, I don’t think I’m ever going l to buy a new guitar again!

19. Ronkirn

it does indeed....

When ya paint "old" gear... you have no idea what it has been assaulted by in it's life time... and while it may look pristine... it could have been hosed down with some kinda goop intended goop that saturated the finish, and on into the wood with silicone or other "problem" solutions...

as many of us learned as Scouts, "be prepared"...

r

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  20. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

Nitro on necks always feels dirty to me, like there is some kind of sticky film on there that never quite dries and keeps melting into itself. Because there is.