Join Strat-Talk Today

Polytune Clip vs Snark SN5X

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Green Sub, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Green Sub

Green Sub Strat-Talker

I just purchased a Polytune Clip ($48.39) and Snark SN5X ($8.79) that was shipped from and sold by Amazon.com.

The Snark arrived Thursday and the Polytune arrived Saturday (August 17, 2019)

My 4 guitars are a 2017 American Special Strat, 2018 Player Strat, 2018 Player Precision Bass, and 2019 Player Tele.

I'm a very novice player, but have been in Computer I.T. for 41 years. This test was right up my alley.

The Snark SN5X was so easy to use. Just a single on/off button. I really liked the thick pads and personally thought the plastic body was a plus not being able to accidentally scratch the guitar's finish, but not as durable as a metal clip.

I was intrigued by the Polytune Clip's options. The ability to tune in both polyphonic and the more precision needle modes. The metal clip with thinner pads seemed to be very durable, but I was a little nervous about the metal surfaces touching my guitar's finish when clipping if I wasn't paying full attention.

Now here is the shocking results of my test.

As mentioned, the SN5X purchase was made 2 days earlier, so all guitars were tuned Thursday.

To my surprise all 4 read right on the money with no adjustment when checking the string tune with the Polytune Clip more precision needle mode. Couldn't believe it. I detuned a few strings just to make sure I was performing the test correctly.

So my novice conclusion is if you need a durable tuner with the ability to tune in different keys or pitches, the Polytune Clip may just be right for you.

On the other hand the Snark SN5X is such a value for the money. So basic, but does an excellent job of tuning.

Stratbats and valor19 like this.
  2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I am Johnny Snarkleseed. I spread Snarks across the country hoping we all reap a rich harvest later. Either that or I am an idiot who loses tuners a lot.

3bolt79, Chubbles and Green Sub like this.
  3. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

I have both, they both work well and match my Boss pedal tuner

Between the two the big advantage for me with the Polytune is that it folds flat and I can pack it or put it in a pocket and go to the guitar store where as the Snark has an awkward shape and the arm and/or socket can break, one of mine did.

3bolt79 and Green Sub like this.
  4. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have all three incarnations of the Peterson Strobe tuners.
    Clip on, Strobostomp HD, and the bench model (LCD, not mechanical)
    I've never been happy with "needle" style tuners.

I also sprung the $10 for the Android software so I can tune or check pitch when I'm not near my own gear.
    There are cheaper tuners, but I do not believe there are better tuners.

Green Sub likes this.
  5. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster

Gonna have to get me one of those Polytune clip tuners. I have about a dozen Snarks, Intelli-tuners, Korgs, Petersons (StroboClip, StroboPLUS HD). The only one I don't really like is the Snark "Super Tight"...but only because it eats batteries like crazy.

Looks like the Polytune polyphonic setting is only good for one tuning scheme (EADGBE, negative and positive capo). Still, pretty cool feature.

Green Sub likes this.
  6. valor19

valor19 Strat-O-Master

I love my Snark. Also got it cheap on Amazon like you. But really I use the free Fender tuner app on my phone most the time now. Convenience.

Green Sub likes this.
  7. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

I have a couple different fenders and a couple delta lab. All between $12-$18
    They all do what there supposed to.
    But $50 for a clip on seems crazy to me. I only paid about 50 for my TU-2.

Green Sub likes this.
  8. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

*yawn.... blows on fingernails*
    EDIT: My bad I thought I was in bar and grille, I use the polytune, it's awesome and I prefer it over the built in tuner in the Helix.

9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I have 3 or four snarks and it seems I'm always losing them. I also have a Peterson strobe (strobe flip) and I've checked the snark against the strobe and it's really pretty much dead on most of the time. I've found that the clip on snark is a little bit off, when trying to use it for intonation, but in a pinch I wouldn't hesitant to use it.

Green Sub likes this.
  10. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm still using the Boss tuner I bought a 20 million years ago. I can't imagine not having the mute function, it's so handy. Not that there's anything wrong with clip ons!

Green Sub and Bob the builder like this.
  11. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That's what I like about the Strobostomp HD.
    It can be programmed for true bypass, but by default, it only mutes the output and is set up as a buffered device.

circles likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.