Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Poorly matched 3 piece body on suburst strat, help!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Matt33, May 18, 2017.

1. Matt33

Matt33 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Michigan
    Hi everyone so today should've been a fun NGD but a strat I just purchased off reverb came in. It's a sunburst strat and the 3 piece body lines up really terribly. It bothers me as it almost looks like 3 separate sunburst finishes with shading crapily cut off at the body dividing lines. The Guitar's quality description from the seller was "excellent" and it seems like it was taken care of, but, I feel like this is such an obvious flaw it should have been in the description. Is this something I can complain about to the seller or am I stuck because I bought it? The guitar looked fine in the sellers pics and I was unaware this could possibly be a problem so it wasn't something I asked about. Any help on how I can handle this with grace? What would you all do? ( This is my first reverb purchase and it's making me never want to buy anything on the internet again... ). On the plus side the guitar plays well lol.

Fendereedo likes this.

2. Pomaranc

Pomaranc Strat-Talk Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Slovakia

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    ya gotta post pix.. 'cause your "poorly matched" may just be our "not so unusual"

Ron Kirn

4. Matt33

Matt33 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Michigan
    Will get pics up soon. To elaborate, the center plank almost has the opposite burst shining through at whatever angle than the outer two planks, the center either being lighter while the outside two are dark or darker while the outside two are light. This is a MIA guitar so i'm pretty annoyed thinking that a $1000+ instrument would have such a poor finish. Thanks for any help btw...

5. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Post some pics Pls!
    You could send him a list of your top fav shades and let him choose which one he'll pay for.

6. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    So, yeah... pics... or a link to the Reverb listing?

7. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Indeed, such would be somewhat of a bummer, however, and unfortunately, it's not all that uncommon. It's seen in many manufacturer's \ production guitars.

rk

8. Matt33

Matt33 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Michigan
    IMG_20170518_064638762.jpg IMG_20170518_064053787.jpg

These are two with my phone now, I can get my camera out to get better quality if you can't tell what I'm talking about. If you look at it straight on without light activating the burst it looks normal but once light activates the center peice burst the center becomes an obvious glowing plank. I have another burst guitar and the burst spreads evenly, you can not tell where the diving lines are.

9. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    You say it's a $1000+ MIA instrument... is it an AVRI? Or if not, what model was it listed as?

10. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Yours look like they tried with all their efforts to match up the grain, but no one knows how the wood will take stain and finish.

It is far from the monster I thought it would be, it is still a nice Strat.

11. Matt33

Matt33 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Michigan
    John Mayer artist series strat

74 special and usul1978 like this.

12. Ronkirn

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Sorry, but that dosen't even register on the outtawhack-o-meter... that's actually pretty good compared to others I've seen..

rk

13. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Hideous, absolutely hideous, yup, it's Rory time! :D

Dont_Fret_None likes this.

14. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Looks great to me.

Like it better than a bland burst that shows no grain.

brians and Shoegoo like this.

15. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Not the sellers fault at all. It's not like you can really hide that in photos and it's really not bad at all

Nothing wrong with buying over the internet, you just need to know what to look for and what questions to ask. If body matching and wood grain is such a concern you should have asked for close up photos.

16. StratoTerr

StratoTerr Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Yeah thats a bad matchup . I m thinking the 3 parts are not from the same board . Hows it sound ? .... At the opposite side Gibson matched a Spirit body so well even looking thru a magnifying glass I'd think it was one piece , then 2, then one again... How a guitar looks means zip to me , but if you're bothered by it send it back or ask for a partial refund. You could always have it painted if it sounds better than it looks.

17. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Lost Soul Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    red barn, USA
    send it to me and I will make sure it doesn't become self conscious or develop poor self esteem problems....

JulianH, perttime, wildhawk and 4 others like this.

18. Tafmutt

Tafmutt Strat-Talker

Apr 20, 2009
    Washington State
    Man, you've got the most unique 'burst in the world there! It's a keeper.

wildhawk and valvestate like this.

19. Matt33

Matt33 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Michigan
    Ok you all are making me feel better haha. I guess my other sunburst is just really well done because it doesn't get this divided line effect at all, that's all I have to compare too...