Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Poorly matched 3 piece body on suburst strat, help!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Matt33, May 18, 2017.

1. Fujigen Gakki

Fujigen Gakki New Member!

Friday
    Unter dem Himmel
    Yours is a neck thru. The center part is supposed to be in different shade. No worries.

2. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    Neck through Stratocaster? I doubt that!

3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. jaymichaels

jaymichaels Strat-Talk Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Tempe,AZ
    Although there have been neck thru Strats, the Mayer is not

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit If Guinness be the food of life, pour on. Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    I'm very late here, but if you think this body is mismatched then all I have to say is "you ain't seen nothing yet".

Paint it black, sell it or burn it are all valid options.o_O

6. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Return it. You will have no issue at all. It is definitely not your responsibility to "zoom" in in the photos or ask these specific questions. The seller needs to disclose all information

7. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Strat-O-Master

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    I'm confused here. The one link that appears to be for the OPs guitar has just one photo, which doesn't show the issue well. Can you post the actual photos from the listing? I'll second other opinions here that if the listing photos didn't show the mismatched body pieces then you should try to return it.

8. ShaneRingo

ShaneRingo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2011
    Chicago
    dude, it's WOOD: a natural product. not plastic! you gotta ease up a bit on the OCD or otherwise stick to buying stuff that you can actually see and hold before ya fork over the dosh!

jaymichaels and Stratoskater like this.
  9. Matt33

Matt33 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Michigan
    OP here, I will post the actual pics from the ad because I am not sure what you all are seeing as I can see the full listing on that link....

10. Matt33

Matt33 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Michigan
    OP Here - These are the pics from the original ad - I don't know what everyone means about a deceptive angle, but you can't see the grain mismatch in the photos. All the comments about how I should've asked for close up pics of the grain are correct, I was just too ignorant to ask for those photos, I did not know that was something I needed to check for... like I said, I guess I learned the hard way and i only blame myself.

Further adventures in this saga, the bottom strap button fell right out of the guitar when I took it out of the case, so I messaged the seller, he said straplocks were installed previously and he had put back the original strap buttons. However, it looks like he just put the tiny strap button screws into this big hole, not secure-The holes were way too big for the original strap buttons (like I said it literally fell out of the guitar when i took it out of the case , he was good about this by saying he would pay to get the original strap buttons installed if a luthier needed to plug it... no biggy, so I take it to a luthier... and get the holes plugged and now I see there is a crack in the finish (was not there before) where the luthier plugged the top strap button hole... so, what do I call the luthier now?

JMs1.png JMs2.png JMs3.png JMs4.png

Original ad:

This auction is for a John Mayer signature stratocaster that is in excellent condition. This are no longer available for purchase and are becoming increasingly harder to find. This includes the coveted big dipper pickups that cannot be bough separately. Was only used at home in a smoke free environment. Please message me if you have any questions.

11. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    That lower left image of the body has just the VERY faintest hint of a mismatch.................... NOTHING like the image you posted. o_O

Also, the colors looks totally different. Reds are tricky to photograph with digital cameras. Most digital cameras screw up (emphasize) reds. Do your posted photos look like the guitar in natural light?

Note: I have an Epi Les Paul in sunburst and it looks great in person but photos make it look like a total Clownburst. Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 8.18.06 AM.png

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 11:20 AM
  12. Mech

Mech Strat-Talker

Jul 12, 2009
    ALX
    I'm thinking along the terms of GBU-49. If you need a RIO - I'm your guy...

13. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    Southeast USA
    Well, it's certainly not as noticeable in those pics. So maybe the seller did indeed try to hide it, or maybe the seller didn't notice/care about the grain and the pics just happened to not show it. But either way, I think you'd have a tough time trying to return it since it came from the Fender factory that way... the woodgrain, good or bad, is not a result of anything the seller actually did.

Maybe you should only play it in a darkened room! :D

Yogi and guitarman1984 like this.
  14. EndowedButGentle

EndowedButGentle Strat-Talk Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Evanston
    I think it looks great. Totally acceptable IMO. Does the guitar play well? Do you like the feel? If yes, stop nitpicking about every little thing . With that kind of mindset, there will always be something holding you back from enjoying it. No sense in paying 1400 bucks for an instrument just to experience anxiety about it.

15. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    I agree.
    From those pictures you can see o lu a faint line... so either the seller didn't care or he tried to take the pics under light conditions which did not reveal the real colour differences...
    Bear in mind there are many people who don't care at all about these details so it could easily be an honest sale.

Yogi likes this.
  16. Dont_Fret_None

Dont_Fret_None Strange Stringer Silver Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 22, 2013
    Up yonder way...

Hmmmm, a GBU-49. Indeed, a discerning Aviator here. A very fine machine, which is a morphed Delta Dart on steroids. The guys flying the Darts back in the 50's and 60's could only dream of having so many toys on board (not unlike Cheese Puff-eating doom room X-Box junkies who, when sauntering through a shopping mall notice a controller in the window...which has a new button on it!!!).

upload_2017-5-19_10-6-0.jpeg

:)

Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 12:13 AM
  17. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    I think that's a kick ass Strat you got there! I would love to have it.

guitarman1984 and Tim S like this.
  18. Dont_Fret_None

Dont_Fret_None Strange Stringer Silver Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 22, 2013
    Up yonder way...
    This adds another dimension to the discussion altogether--that of the reality that there are likely tens of thousands of guitarists who could not afford such, and would love to have this one.

This speaks of perspective. It is hard to justify issues with aesthetics, with this in view.

Ronnie12460 likes this.
  19. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Strat-O-Master

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Yes! Even many of the '50s and '60s pre-CBS Strats had 3-piece mismatched bodies. Doesn't make them any less valuable. I've always enjoyed the look of the off set seam . . . means it's not like a Gibson LP, (which I find to be a very over-rated guitar imho). There's a period of time when Fender started making 2-piece bodies with a center seam. That always looked wrong to me, especially when it's supposed to be a vintage style, which is kind of what a Mayer is based on.

Yves likes this.
  20. jaymichaels

jaymichaels Strat-Talk Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Tempe,AZ
    IMG_4793.JPG
    This is my "relic'd" 60th avri 54... the previous owner had it relic'd, i really don't give a damn what the guitar looks like, it plays like a dream and I don't have to worry about dings or scratches... enjoy the axe

T Guitar Floyd and Yves like this.