Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Poorly matched 3 piece body on suburst strat, help!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Matt33, May 18, 2017.

1. Rufustelestrat

Rufustelestrat Senior Stratmaster

oh and another thing. That mismatch is going to kill the highs and mute the definition of the notes.
    Use a good wood chipper.
    R

2. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Looks like the seam on your '54 is just to the right of the bridge . . . where it belongs! :cool:

3. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Yes it is. If you are particular about wood grain it's your responsibility to do due diligence to make sure it's is acceptable before pulling the trigger. Things like originality of electronics or changes/ mods are the responsibility of the seller to disclose, not matched woodgrain. Personally those pictures weren't the worst I've seen in ads and on the back photo you can see the mismatched pieces. I Always ask for more detailed pictures if I'm particular about something. Most sellers will provide more pictures if you ask. Odds are the seller didn't care about the wood grain. Most players don't care about half the stuff us internet guitarists care about

4. simoncroft

simoncroft Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    As someone who has sold a lot of guitars on-line – and always honestly – I'd also like to add that if you get in very close with a flash-equipped camera, you'll get way more detail that I would consider to be 'real life'. Sometimes, that can make a flame top look far more dramatic than it does under average lighting. Equally though, it can enhance minor grain miss-matches to beyond the way they would look in a normal room, or on stage.

I'm guessing (and I can only guess) that under most lighting conditions, this guitar is perfectly good. After all, it passed QA at the factory that way, and someone bought it new.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, and I certainly wouldn't jump to be judgemental about the seller unless I had examined the instrument in person.

5. Mech

Mech Strat-Talker

Jul 12, 2009
    ALX
    Your verbal tapestry is on point! :thumb:

6. RevBillyG

RevBillyG Strat-Talker

Nov 6, 2016
    Texas
    Had I bought that guitar I'd have showed it off in a NGD thread & been damn proud of it.

Ain't nothing wrong with that. I know some people are really proud of their "perfectly matched seams" but I like that look.

Ebidis, Dont_Fret_None and simoncroft like this.

7. StratoTerr

StratoTerr Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2011
    Lewes De.
    You sure? I m having a hard time believing 3 piece. I have seen lots of 2 s and ones, but not 3 preCBS. Middle seam IME has been trebley every time.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

8. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Thanks for the ones . . . I've seen them too. Used to have a 1-piece blond '58 ash Strat.

9. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Strat-O-Master

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    Those are some pretty mediocre photos. They really don't reveal what your photo reveals. I don't think you have a case for returning it, unfortunately. Especially since you had the strap peg hole filled and there's now a small crack there. The seller should have sent it with the strap lock screws and strap lock.

If I were you, I'd strip the body and send it to that Clive guy mentioned on the forum for a repaint. Or else give it a really dark stain and a Tru-Oil finish.

Sometimes a gear purchase just turns into a bowl of crap. I'm dealing with a used Vox amp that crapped out after 2 weeks. New tubes didn't solve the problem. Now I have to find an amp repairman.

10. Yogi

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    These are discontinued now and are fetching more used than they did new. Op paid 1600, these were 1499 or 1599 new. A refinish will kill the value.

Neil.C likes this.

11. Yogi

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I've seen plenty of 3 piece pre cbs strats, they are way more common than 1 piece vintage strats. Leo didn't waste any wood

12. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Strat-O-Master

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    You make a valid point. But if the aesthetics aren't to his liking and the guitar is otherwise a keeper, better to have something pleasing.

Only other options are selling it, which could easily entail a loss if sold on Reverb or eBay (fees) or keep it as is and not be entirely happy with it.

13. Yogi

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    True, but unless he can refinish it himself he's going to lose a ton of money. Several hundred for having the refin done by someone else and then loss of value for having the refin done. Unless he's sure he wants forever I'd learn to love it or sell it before a refin.

14. ShaneRingo

ShaneRingo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2011
    Chicago
    OK, now I see what you're talking about.. yeah, the seller's pic sure looks a lot different than your pic. and if that bothers you, I reckon you've every right to address the issue.

me, myself, I don't get worked up too much over multi-piece bodies and I'll add that my one sunburst Strat actually looks much like yours, and I still love it.

15. ShaneRingo

ShaneRingo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 28, 2011
    Chicago
    easy solution: find a body you like. buy that one, and swap with yours.
    likely to cost less than a re-finish, and easily reversible if need be.

Yogi likes this.

16. Kodiak54

Kodiak54 Strat-Talker

Aug 17, 2014
    Madison, WI
    My two cents, the seller did nothing wrong, and you did nothing wrong. You could have looked at that brand new in a store and not noticed grain just due to the lighting in the store. It is wood, it is a natural product, it will never be perfect.

Also, do not waste your money on a luthier for the strap buttons. Put wood glue in the hole, force a couple toothpicks in. Let it sit over night. It will hold any screw you put in it.

StratoTerr likes this.

17. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Apr 10, 2011
    Dallas TX
    I wouldnt worry about it. Heres my SRV, a near perfect match, but a 2 piece not 3.
    [​IMG]

18. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I've seen plenty of 3 piece pre CBS Strats, and plenty of 2's. I've never seen a 1, so they don't exist. :D

19. StratoTerr

StratoTerr Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Save your obnoxious ness for your dog. My point is that back then the wood quality was better , so it was easier to find body wood that was one piece or could make a two piece , so no need to save pennies to take the time for gluing a 3 piece. But I guess it was waste-not-want-not since you and another have seen them.

20. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I was not trying to be obnoxious. I was actually trying to poke a little fun, that's why I used the smiley. The written word does not translate well sometimes.

And I'm sorry, but I have seen 3's.