Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

POS guitar club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Dadocaster, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Just looked over at my guitar rack and noticed that 2 of my 5 functioning electric guitars are basically POS and one more might be considered that even though it's my favorite. I have come to realize that I actually LIKE POS guitars and will play them regularly.

1. GFS sparkly body, Squire neck, 30 dollar loaded pickguard strat thing

2. Ibanez GIO that I replaced a couple of pickups and leveled the frets and had to shield like crazy because it made so much noise. Strat style HSS

3. Very Possible POS skinny body very skinny neck Partscaster, I guess Squire body and neck from Ebay, loaded GFS Noiseless Mega Texas pickups which seem pretty good.

BONUS TRULY POS BASS:

Squire Bronco shorty, frets leveled, new bridge, holes drilled in the body for strings through, did it when I was slightly cognitively impaired and the holes look like hell.

Anyone else in the POS club? Please chime in.

Dad

Jigglebone likes this.

2. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    Nope, grew out of it long ago.

3. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

I wanna see the sparkly one

4. Dadocaster

Thanks very much for your value judgement. :D

D

Jigglebone likes this.

5. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    Count me in

I have a Ibanez Gio HSS Strat style in addition to my Fenders, some would write it off as a POS but it is fun to play. It has a very thin neck, hot pickups, and is very light.....the wood in the body is like balsa and is easily damaged, but a nice change of pace from time to time.

6. Dadocaster

That qualifies. My GIO weighs a crap ton....

D

7. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

my parlor which is most likely a Kay g101 - probably the least awesome acoustic they built before disappearing from the US scene

my resonator - a fender fr-50 - is probably the most negatively reviewed resonator for under $500

i've got a couple projects that will be nice when complete but were nothign special at the start - an 01 Affinity Strat, an weird little esquire-like 09 Kay electric that has 1 single coil slanted bridge pup, and a 73 Harmony h6340 made in USA, but just thrown together from parts laying around the factory in Chicago as the company circled the drain..

8. Achyskic

Achyskic Senior Stratmaster

Feb 19, 2013
    Ohio
    No thank you for the opportunity to give it.....;)

9. Dadocaster

No doubt there will be more opportunities in the future.....:D

D

Jigglebone likes this.

10. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Card carrying member right here. I've had the same partscaster for 20 years now. At least it has a shiny new paint job but suffering from severe GAS. One day i'll own that American made strat i've been dreaming of. For now I just drool on my keyboard while looking at the sweetwater site.

wildhawk likes this.

11. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Strat-O-Master

Aug 14, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I've got a Jay Turser "Mustang-ish" guitar I love playing. Here's a blurry pic:

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      44.6 KB
      Views:

12. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2014
    In the shadows
    Admin Post
    Many would consider most of my strats POS guitars, but I get lots of compliments by those that pick them up and play them. A written description does them no justice. Squier this, no name that, etc. Their only financially redeeming qualities are the pickups. I do have an Am Del Strat but it will probably get sold at one point or another only because it's actually worth something.

Davey77 likes this.

13. Dadocaster

;) Shhhhh, let them think what they will.....

D

tubejockey likes this.

14. montemerrick

i just had to stop doing that.... the sale price baja tele that was a sweet deal but $600 might as well be $6000 - things like that were wrecking my quality of life.... but i think i can build it for closer to $400 so now i have a plan...

15. Krunch

Krunch Strat-O-Master

Jan 8, 2013
    NOLA
    ImageUploadedByStrat-Talk forum1434758352.825968.jpg

My Hondo POS. I love this guitar. I've had it for 30 years or so. Mis-matched tuners, one has broken on me. I really need to put a good set of tuners on it and play this thing again. People look at it and think I'm nuts until they play it. Surprisingly it plays very good and sounds good too. I call it a reverse lemon. They make crap guitars, but this one turned out great.

RevBillyG likes this.

16. montemerrick

i can believe it - i had a cheap Ibanez acoustic in the 80s that was just a great guitar... you know, i thought i needed something better so traded it in to get a some mini epiphone j200 styled but with stars for fret markers... total dorky guitar... should of kept the Ibanez...

circles likes this.

17. kargoboy

kargoboy Strat-O-Master

Aug 3, 2014
    St. Augustine
    Oh I've got a couple POS guitars.

One is a Silvertone SS-11 Strat that I bought on a whim to mod but have two
    other projects that I barely have time for. It's a pretty terrible guitar as-is though.

I also have an Ibanez RG120 that I actually do like to play. Took me a while to get
    used to the flat neck and big frets after playing Strats most of my life.

18. Dadocaster

Krunch that Hondo is a superstar on a basis of looks alone. That is a stylish POS and does need some new POS tuners so you can play it.

D

19. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    my #1 is an affinity strat, aftermarket pickguard screws are in cockeyed due to my own 'indulgence' and eagerness to play, its been rigged every way known to man and beast, but plays like i want it to, sounds good and stays in tune.

20. Dadocaster

If you say nice things about them, everyone will want one and it will drive the price up....... (I have one that plays great too.)

D