Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

POS guitar club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Dadocaster, Jun 19, 2015.

1. michplayer

michplayer Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2014
    Michigan
    Ch-ch-ch-chia

Jigglebone likes this.

2. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    If you can't play on a cheap but workable guitar, you aren't going to play a bit better on a Custom Shop model.

Now you're talking...and I bet it sounds good - I could even force it to play convincing jazz. :D

those things sounded WAAY better than they sound.

Another Peavey owner

Uh huh....too heavy for me, I got a Predator.

Which is why I don't have one, despite the Peavey neck.

Peavey classic made in Meridian necks are among the best ever to my hand.

and sounds great. What are "the requisite Vindibona mods"

3. davidKOS

davidKOS Retired Performer Strat-Talk Supporter

May 28, 2012
    California
    [​IMG]

My current favorite POS.

A Stadium Tele copy guitar with a P90 put in the neck. I installed a real CS Fender bridge pickup - and replaced it with the original after 2 gigs.

Great neck, feels like the 2 real 70's Fenders I owned in my past. Very cheap.....

4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Outstanding!! Some worthy entries here. The last couple of days I have been playing my POS sparkle stratish and enjoying the meaty horrifying ceramic single coils.

David, that telestratP90 is a yummy idea.

D

5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I have a 15-18 yr. First Act gifted to me by my niece. Believe it or not it sounds ok
    but what a pos. But it was the begining.Only played acoustic before that.....boy she started something

6. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

Dec 28, 2016
    Netherlands
    My kit Tele qualifies:

[​IMG]

Cheap white labeled Wilkinson hardware. I think I counted 6 pieces of wood glued together. Never could get it set up quite right, so I tuned it in open G and use it for slide.

Annoys the heebie jeebies out of the wife. But I tell her I have to practice or it will always sound awful...

Jigglebone likes this.

7. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

This made me think of this classic.

Ash-Man likes this.

8. marklk

marklk Strat-Talker

May 23, 2016
    Kansas City
    Wow. This is my kind of club. I'll have to come back later when I have more time, a lot more time, to run down all of my POS guitars. I probably have close to 25. A friend of mine once asked if I ever thought of selling all of my cheap guitars and getting one good one. My response was then I would have only one guitar and no variety. Plus, I'd be afraid to go anywhere with it or learn how to fix or mod it. On top of that, if I sold them all I could maybe only get to MIA standard territory.

Jigglebone likes this.

9. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I'm in the club. I only have inexpensive guitars. I just cannot imagine spending over $200 before mods on a guitar. My POS cheap guitars are awesome!

Jigglebone likes this.

10. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Fender Affinity Strat

Friend that's a dealer recieved a bunch of these boat oars a couple years ago.

He was not happy. Junk tuners, horrible frets, bodies that were light as a popsicle stick. Junk.

Gave me a new white one for next to nothing. Its been sitting in a corner for two years waiting for me to get the gumption to fix this POS and give it to a deserving kid.

Or I may just get them a real guitar.

Jigglebone and ocean like this.

11. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    The affinity strat was the worst guitar I ever owned.. just my opinion.. don't bite my head off.

wildhawk likes this.

12. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    Like my post above mentioned..

I took the tuners off and the housing of one actually broke in half during removal. What The Fender...

Feel sorry for the unknowing that are sold some of these firestarters.

ocean likes this.

13. Jigglebone

Jigglebone Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Jan 20, 2017
    Southern Idaho, US
    IMG_0294.JPG I'm in. This is my POS. It's my banging-around-the-house guitar. The Mexican Standard bridge, Duncan Rails and new strings are worth more than the guitar was new. But it's easy to play and it gave me a platform for learning about the truss rod, setting intonation, and neck position adjustment. The tuners are crappy, but I won't change em. I just tightened the handle screws tight so it will stay in tune!

The Strat Dude likes this.

14. Dadocaster

I like an Affinity body, paired with the skinny Bullet neck. Machines and electrical guts and good to go.

D

Jigglebone likes this.

15. Dave Harmon

Dave Harmon Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2016
    Right Here
    I had a POS some time back but the neck let loose....flipped backwards and the tuners broke the bridge in half.
    Never DID find all the saddles....

16. Dadocaster

Pick up what's left over, get on ebay, and build yourself three more.

Jigglebone likes this.

17. Jigglebone

Jigglebone Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Jan 20, 2017
    Southern Idaho, US

Still waiting to see the sparkly GFS. :) I remember back in the '70's when Ludwig was still making drums with sparkle shells. We Dummers all wanted sparkly blue.

Bob the builder likes this.

18. Dadocaster

Hmm. This thread is very old. I did put a pic of Sparky Sparkleton on this site somewhere or other....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Jigglebone likes this.

19. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Picked up the Peavey Patriot guitar on the right for short money off Craigslist. The setup was all wrong, had rusty strings, was missing the knobs, and the body was grimy. Fixed all that up, including a hand wash with Murphy's oil soap and she's a player now that weighs next to nothing and plays very smoothly. The neck feels like a gibson-scale strat neck, nicely rolled even, and the Peavey Super Ferrite pups have their own great sound to them - sort of P90ish. Sort of.

It comes in at 1:27 in this recording:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017

20. SonOfIAm

SonOfIAm Strat-Talker

Apr 15, 2009
    northwest
    I guess it depends upon what is considered a POS. My definition would be a guitar that is completely unplayable. If a guitar is playable without any glaring issues, the term POS would be more snobbery than anything else. I see a lot of professional players using Epiphone, which a lot of Gibson fans would call a POS, so to each their own I suppose.
    The son of a friend of mine had a Lotus strat and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it played and sounded with my rig. That's the point when I stopped judging guitars based upon their name and price.

Raimonds, knh555 and Chont like this.