Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

POS guitar club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Dadocaster, Jun 19, 2015.

1. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

Nicely put. I suppose what I like about this thread is the shared love for guitars that perhaps others don't value. Some listed above are "worse" than others, but it's great seeing them all (mostly?) maintained, played, and enjoyed.

Gabrielle84 and Chont like this.

2. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I agree…

I think it’s safe to say most people here feel that way too and this thread is in jest. I’m proud of my POS. It’s a hodge-podge-o-caster of American, Korean and other manufacturer parts but that beloved POS is rock solid when it comes to tuning and intonation. I kinda feel guilty about gassing for a new Strat.

3. Jigglebone

Jigglebone Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Jan 20, 2017
    Southern Idaho, US
    Yay, my POS Squier Strat is spot on! Been practicing with truss rod adjustment and saddle height, and I've got good action without buzz! :)

Bob the builder likes this.

4. Davey77

Davey77 Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 29, 2014
    Monroe WA
    I have a few! well maybe.... every one of them is better than the POS's I was playing back in the 60's and early 70's.

I suppose without some replacement parts and good setups most of them wouldn't be very good at all though.

5. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    I have a BC Rich NJ Bich whose neck is separated from its body at any given time and in opposite ends of the house.

6. Daveho

Daveho Strat-O-Master

Jan 25, 2017
    Canberra, Australia
    Oooo that Martin back packer, how do you feel about that one?

7. tubejockey

tubejockey Strat-Talker

Dec 1, 2016
    the Bozone
    Here was a fun mod to cheap Ibanez, an etched aluminum top set into the body. Made it sound better too. I had to stick a piezo under the bridge just for fun. When blended in with the mags, it almost has a phony dobro sound.

Attached Files:

Bob the builder likes this.

8. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    It's not a lemon at all...IT'S A LIME!

9. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    My POS is a pre Fender Jackson that I carved the body with a Roto zip to recess a JT-6 bridge. Made a copper block for the bridge. Installed EMG pickups. The EMG 81TW was too thick so I routed the cavity all the way through to the spring cavity to make it fit. Figured while I was at it I would tout it a little more for a shadow tuner that I modified to for under the strings. Now the 81TW oohs out and am 89 with coil tapping is in and it fits like it's supposed to but the hole is still there (go figure... Lol). 9V 18V switch with a buckethead kill switch.
    All in all, in my opinion, it's the sweetest playing and most unique sounding POS there is.
    1492062532188.jpg 1492062538154.jpg
    1492062565345.jpg

10. perttime

perttime Strat-Talker

May 4, 2015
    Finland
    That's not POS. It just has character :D

11. Boppy

Boppy Strat-Talker

May 29, 2011
    Toronto
    I have a few POS guitars.

A Peavey Raptor for which I paid $50. I actually bought it for its POS-vibe/aura so I could mess around with it at work and not care all that much if it got ripped off. As it turns out, I kinda like the POS.

I also have a Hondo acoustic guitar--an H156R. It's like a D28 copy with a spruce top and maple sides/back. I've had it since I was a kid and it still plays and sounds great. It's not really a POS, but the Hondo name still has the power to make people cringe even though they haven't been around for ages.

I also have a Nashville P-Bass copy in metallic red. It seems pretty solid and decent to me--probably because I'm not a bassist. I have had a couple of bass-playing friends regard it with a curious expression of puzzled disgust--which I find amusing, so at least it's good for that.

What else? In the closet I have my first electric-guitar--currently in unplayable shape. It's an old Japanese Les Paul copy from the 70s. I ruined it in every possible way that you can imagine.

12. Believer7713

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Actually my favorite piece of "character" on it is that piece of metal that is screwed to the bottom horn...It was actually screwed to the tibia in my right leg. You just don't get any more METAL than that!!!:rolleyes:

perttime and Boppy like this.

13. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-Talker

Dec 11, 2011
    Los Lunas, NM
    I thought you were gonna say you drilled the holes to lighten it up

14. Boppy

Boppy Strat-Talker

May 29, 2011
    Toronto

That is like a whole new dimension of mojo.

15. oldfartatplay1320

oldfartatplay1320 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Gatineau, Quebec
    Isn't POS a rather judgemental term? Many inexpensive guitars play and sound good. I've a good number of budget guitars, but I wouldn't consider any of them a POS. Well, I did have a Robson Strat once, but I had it set up by a luthier and gave it to a young fellow who shows lots of promise on the guitar.But I have a Turser, a GWL, Samicks, a Squier, a Cort, and an Ibanez Gio, and I don't consider them P's OS. Even that Tele clone brand-named 'Baja Nashville' plays decently. Of course, I usually have them set up by a luthier,

16. Dave Harmon

Dave Harmon Strat-Talker

Feb 18, 2016
    Right Here
    Perception is everything.

17. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I suppose everything is a comparative analysis. I had a Teiso Del Rey which by all accounts then as it is now a genuine POS guitar. It was so poor that I gave it to a cousin and he traded it in part for a Kramer. I see these guitars in stores now selling for $400 and can't believe my eyes. I guess what is one man's trash is another man's treasure.

18. oldfartatplay1320

oldfartatplay1320 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Gatineau, Quebec
    I reckon that Behringer El Toro I picked up today qualifies me now... >;->