Join Strat-Talk Today

Possible heartbreak

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by thomquietwolf, Jun 25, 2018.

1. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yesterday we looked out the back window...
    Two new born blacktail fawns(in a thick growth of ferns)...
    No Doe in attendance
    They wandered off...
    This morning they were in the exact location huddled...
    No Doe attending again...
    Looking wobbly...
    Quite wary of humans...
    Contacted animal save...
    Mrs. Is out there trying to photo with her iPhone

2. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

the doe will leave fawns in what she thinks is a safe spot so she can feed- if she's alive, she will come back for them

it's normally best to do nothing unless you are certain that she's dead

3. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Wow, I hope those young'uns survive.
    They are beautiful creatures.

Rastus, circles and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Yes, leave them be! Mom will be back.

abnormaltoy and Chont like this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

6. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster

I wouldn't hurt to give the Game Warden a call. They'll check it out. If something bad has happened to Mom, they can take care of the fawns.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  7. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Let nature happen .

8. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

True. We've got plenty of White-Tailed Deer on the property and have started seeing the tiny fauns. From our research, the doe separating from the fauns during the day is normal behavior. The fauns do not yet have the scent of the an adult deer, so they are in less danger from predators when separate from the doe. Here's a current batch. Mom is watching one sprint away, while the other is fascinated by me inside the sun room. They can hear what goes on in the house. The deer really like grape leaves and they're welcome to all they can eat.

doe_fauns_sm.jpg

faun_grape_leaves_sm.jpg

Attached Files:

9. thomquietwolf

So far they ...
    Cry
    Eat fallen Oak leaves...
    Fern fronds...
    Waiting for Animal save to call...

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-O-Master

We're experiencing a nearly identical thing here in Minnesota. A mom and 3 (unusual, apparently) fawns in the brush behind our house. The mom took off and left 2 of the fawns alone. We were terrified. Apparently this is common and normal. She came back that night, and we've seen here multiple times with one or two of the newborns. We have never again seen all three. Apparently its common behavior for her to leave them in a safe spot while she finds food.

Awesome to watch...

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    There was actually an announcement on one of our local radio stations a couple of days ago describing this exact behavior, recommending to leave them alone, the mom is foraging and will be back.

mscjr and abnormaltoy like this.
  12. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I work afternoon shift here in the city, on lunch the other evening i saw a skunk with it's head stuck in a peanut butter jar.
    No one would go near it.
    It took me almost my whole lunch[half hour]but i finally got the jar off his/her head.It kept spinning round and round.
    I guess the thank you from the skunk was not getting sprayed.
    If only i had a cell phone i could of had a viral you tube vid:(

Sorry back to deer

13. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

What was posted is usually true, but sometimes the mother can't find the baby, or for some reason can't return. My wife raised a very young fawn a few years ago. It was barely alive when she found it, and probably wouldn't have lasted the day. When it got old enough to be released, she found a local guy who has a preserve, and he released it there.

Here's a shot of Spork shortly before release:

spork1.jpg

14. thomquietwolf

15. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, the last time I weighed in on issues related to my work on this forum it ended badly, due to a plethora of ignorance regarding drowning raccoons. (vile scum that he was...)

if you want to talk about the situation on the phone, my work number is 707 822 8839 Humboldt Wldlife Care Center

usually the mother is around. being in the same place isn't unusual. Mom parks them while she forages, maybe in the same place day after day. If the fawns appear healthy then they are most likely receiving her care.

If there's a dead doe on the road nearby, that's a smoking gun. They need help.

Right now we have 7 black-tailed fawns in care. ( i can hear one crying for mom right now.) ONly one of them was "kidnapped"... the rest have dead moms.

24 hours is usually a long enough period of time to know if they need help.

16. mscjr

mscjr Strat-Talk Member

This. Every year well-meaning individuals try to "save" the fawns that have been abandoned by their mothers. At that age, fawns need to eat regularly, if they're still alive, mom's probably still around. Deer are also most active at dawn and dusk, preferring to bed down during the day (normally), but I often see them eating from my garden during the day.

17. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

We had a fawn left in our backyard by our pool a few years ago. It was really neat to look at from afar and just leave alone and observe. The mother would come by around early evening to tend to it. Eventually it got up and they left together and that was the end of that and we could use the pool again.

obviously Montemerrick is the expert here but the above advice is also correct. I definitely wouldn't touch it. Not sure how true it is that the mother will abandon if she smells human on the baby but it makes sense so not worth the risk.

tery likes this.
  18. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

not only will mothers not abandon fawns who've been touched by humans, lactating does will also accept fawns not their own and nurse them. often this is what wildlife care providers do with orphaned fawns, - find another mom.

it's true that many animals are needlessly interfered with, but that doesn't mean fawns aren't orphaned around the world every day by cars, etc. Instead of generalized advice, each situation needs to be assessed on its own. leaving a fawn whose mother was killed by a vehicle to starve is not exactly nature taking its course.

19. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

So, what was the outcome of this wildlife drama?

20. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

Leave em be Thom...you will just know when it's time to intervene.

I've a wooded half acre backyard that regularly hosts a bambi or two. Mom or Moms will park the kids in the deer fern that stands about 5 feet (1.5 meters) for as much as a day or so. They cry sometimes but then, so does every other baby. If mom feels it's safe, she'll take a much needed break...maybe stop for a few drinks even...there's a creek not far.

You'll see a distinct change in appearance and behavior if they become truly distressed. That's the time to call for help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.