Post CBS quality (65 to 69)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SIngles Forever, Jul 24, 2021.

1. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

Everyone always says these are of lower quality, but when I look for why I see silly things like only three bolts, cheaper pick guard and pearloid fretboard inlays. I haven't heard anything about the actual Wood Construction. Are these really any worse?

Also, I always wondered why people call it the 70s headstock. Fender is so bad at advertising. They should call it the late 60s headstock...or the Hendrix headstock! Probably the most famous Stratocaster ever has this headstock. When I look at it I just think Hendrix. I personally love it.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. 2aug82b

2aug82b Strat-Talker

Quality is perfectly fine those years. They did make some changes during that time that some people don't care for. Mostly cosmetic...

3bolt79, Nate D and SIngles Forever like this.
  3. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

With all due respect to Jimi, I don't think Fender should name it the Hendrix Headstock. There are so many legends who've also played strats with large headstocks (Blackmore, Malmsteen, and Landau just to name a few that popped into mind).

Erik_C, Stratbats, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  4. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Senior Stratmaster

Gilmour until around 73 too!

3bolt79, Black59 and SIngles Forever like this.
  5. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

I have read that, under CBS, Fender stopped dipping the PUs in wax in a cost/time saving effort. The 3-bolt necks were produced in the 70’s until about ‘81, IIRC. And they were actually Leo’s design.

Bill, tgo

3bolt79 and SIngles Forever like this.
  6. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-O-Master

People, who know better than me say that the only problem with 3-bolt necks is not the 3-bolt joint in itself, but the fact that the accuracy of neck pockets went down around the same time 3-bolts were introduced so necks were often loose in their pockets. There was nothing wrong with the design, it's the execution that sucked. But that's only from '71 onwards.

Also, polyurethane finishes came in the late '60s, if I'm not mistaken, except for the face of the headstock.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

that very period is known as the transition period.. it;s after CBS took over but there was still plenty of Leo era stock around to make guitars.. adn the same employees were there too.. soo..

r

8. SIngles Forever

interesting.

What about the wood?

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. Ronkirn

the wood was processed while Leo was at the helm.... by '69. it was all over and CBS was responsible for the whole process..

r

10. SIngles Forever

So everything up to 68 was basically Leo Level Lineage.

11. Ronkirn

Yep.... ya gotta remember, there was no change in the employees, other than normal attrition, so other than the Logo on the pay checks.. nothing much had changed...

SIngles Forever likes this.
  12. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

My first strat was a brand new 75 sunburst. After a few months I washed the finish off with acetone, so I know they were still using nitrocellulose. However the clear base underneath did not budge, I assume that was some kind of poly. I don't know if the solid colors were done the same way.

13. Ronkirn

the Base coat was FullerPlast, it was the precursor to Modern Polys and was used from around 1960 into the 70's . and you are correct.. it takes a small thermonuclear device to separate it from the wood..

r

StratMike10 likes this.