Potential New Hobby!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Nate D, Nov 21, 2021.

1. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

2. FireFunkRevival

FireFunkRevival Strat-O-Master

I grew up a kid in the trap and on the stand keeping score. Mostly in the trap. Trap boys for life! We used to mess with some people back in the day and take a wad of big league chew and put it all over the top of a pigeon and send it out. If they shot it, it spiraled all over the place but never really broke apart. Good times.

3bolt79 and Nate D like this.
  3. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster

My Ruger LCR. 5 Rounds at 7 yards. Hornaday Critical Defense 110 gr FTX. 20211123_201539.jpg

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

First shot center mass; 2 & 3 low; 4 high and to the left; 5 down and to the right

Did I get the order right?

Tone Quest and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member Silver Member

Another expensive hobby

Let's see

Guns, Guitars & Automobiles...not much time for fishing - I mean family time

Nate D and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘And I’m down to 1 box of FMJ, 4boxes of Gol Dot and 1 box of Black Talons, for my 9mm. I have about 1000 rounds for my 22 Browning Buck Mark, which is a lot of fun to slay pop cans with.

rolandson, Nate D and Antstrat like this.
  7. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Nice thing about archery, reusable ammo...and the paper doesn't care how the hole got there.

Whilst doing an rso thing (range safety officer), ammunition was plentiful and the range let me have it at cost. Now, not so much.
    I really feel deeply for them, the people who own the range...becoming victims of the toilet paper mentality.

I can't imagine the frustration.

bbarott and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. Tone Quest

First shot in 10 ring, second in the bullseye, third in 10 ring again, fourth top left, fifth lower right. Not bad from a 2 inch lightweight revolver.

bbarott likes this.
  9. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

No, that's not bad at all for 7 yards. To get substantially better than that I need to shoot a lot, and by a lot I mean 300+ rounds a week which given the primer situation these days is hard to do.

10. Tone Quest

I reload my target rounds and carry the Critical Defense. Yes, primers are difficult to find. Brownells had box of 1000 for $74.99. I broke down and bought one. Cheapest price I could find, but it still hurts wallet.

11. Simpleman

Simpleman Strat-O-Master

I thought that was going to be my new hobby too. Then I went by myself shoot by myself and spent 60 bucks for 100 rounds. It a lot more fun when it’s done in a group.

12. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Depends on the group I think...
    I once went shooting with a couple of Marines; one a Sergeant (daughter's former beloved and now a Naval Aviator that I've mentioned before) and his brother, a Captain. Both had passed the Marine Corps handgun qualification:
    Three magazines with six rounds each, 25 yards, 20 seconds...all in the 10 ring.

I can't even see the 10 ring at 25 yards.

These two were a sight to behold. They played a game where on would put a hole in the paper and the other would then have to put their round through that hole.

I didn't play. I watched.

Tone Quest and bbarott like this.
  13. bbarott

I remember buying whole flats of them for $69, thats five thousand. Looking at repurposing some of my small rifle primers into .40 S&W service, will probably test a few primed and unloaded cases this weekend to make sure they go bang.

Tone Quest likes this.
  14. bbarott

I've seen that game, it's hard. Another one involves balancing a .22 rimfire case on top of a standard 8" steel plate in a plate rack. Objective is to knock the case off the plate and not hit the plate. That's hard too.

One of the best shooting games I have ever worked up on involves two shooters and a standard 6x rack of 8" knockdown plates at 25 feet. Left shooter owns the left three plates, shooter on the right owns the rightmost three. Load three rounds and then three more in an extra magazine. Start from either holster or low ready, whatever you are more comfortable with. At the buzzer shooters draw and try to drop two of their own plates and one of the other guys. First one to drop the other shooter's plate wins. This game teaches you two things, first shoot as fast as you can shoot accurately but no faster. Secondly, do not give up. If you miss you will need to load your extra magazine which puts you seriously behind but your opponent might miss too in which case it's back on.

I've dumped probably tens of thousands of .45 rounds doing this.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    rolandson likes this.