Poverty Pedals thread (JOyo, Mooen,etc) so whats really up?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by The-Kid, Feb 7, 2015.

1. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

Yea, I understand your point.

But the dif between an mxr and ross compressor is that supposedly ross added a couple parts so they could say it was not an exact copy, probably for legal reasons. functionally the same. Most of the ts9/od1 clones out there, if you change a single diode, is that enough? That will change the sound. Or change the value of one resistor? That will change the sound.

My point is, yea, a lot of these are rip offs of someone else's work. changing one part to make it "different" is pretty much the same thing. There was this big hub bub a while back, a company that seems to have a rep for cloning pedals and saying they are original, got into it with another maker, claiming they had ripped off that persons work. The pedal in question was basically a mod of someone ELSE's pedal, from what some people were saying. Maybe joyo or whomever changes one part.

Can you patent a circuit? Boss patented asynchronous diode clipping, which is why the TS, which is like an OD1, does not have that. The best mod to a TS is to change out the diodes, and there are a Ton of clones that are just that, with the diodes changed.

I think price is irrelevant.

It's all a grey area at best.

2. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

I have found that flange is not an effect that is done well cheaply by anyone.

3. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member

That could be.

4. Bluesman630

Bluesman630 Banned

Automobiles are just copies of the first. As are guitars, amps, pedals, appliances, etc, etc,.

Cloning, reverse engineering, call it what you will, its been around forever and isnt going away any time soon.

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Though normally I wouldn't be interested in an imported rip off of an established pedal design, I'll admit I've been eyeing these recently as I may be doing some clinics overseas within the next year and would not want to risk my higher dollar pedals traveling...

6. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member

Good point.

7. thedrill

thedrill Strat-Talk Member

i've got 11 pedals crammed onto my board, all of them except 1 cost over $300 , one of
    them ,gods help my addiction, was over $500.
    the 1 cheap one is my favorite, its a distortion pedal, made by my neighbors kid! its got 1 knob for the dist level, that it. its freakin awesome sounding!!! he said total cost of parts was maybe $10 , and put in a old tobacco tin. i call it the hercules pedal, the little mortal going up against the gods of the pedal board.
    wish the kid got into it years ago, would have saved me a fortune

8. Jasonious

Jasonious New Member!

I recently bought a chinese delay pedal off eBay. A Nux Time core they call it. It is rated poorly on Amazon... I thought I'd have to send it back after reading the horror stories some posted. Well mine was/is pretty decent. For 40 bucks, it does what it says and has held up for a few performances so far. The poor sweatshop worker who facilitated it's production must've had a good day that day!

9. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

I am far less concerned about who made a pedal than I am on whether it suits the sounds I am looking for with whatever gear it is I am running it through. I have pedals that play nice with solid state amps and some that don't. Likewise with tube amps, or even changing guitars. Getting a sound you like is a process of working through your gear with sound in mind, not brand or the worst of all criteria, price..

10. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Visual Sound is making some pretty nice, affordable pedals. I've got the Axel Grease Delay which I put against some more expensive pedals in the store and it sounded more analogue/organic/tape delay sounding. Not as much delay as I'd like but its pretty decent for the money.

11. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Strat-O-Master

I've started buying a few cheap pedals recently, mainly for stuff that I don't use very often.

Take Tremolo for instance. I've got one riff that my band is working on that uses it, and that's it. So I don't want a big pedal, nor do I want to spend much on a pedal that's only going to get used very, very occasionally. So the Mooer Trelicopter fitted the bill perfectly. And do you know what? It's really rather good! And so, so tiny!

[​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVOIszoD6pU

It cost me about £60. I consider that cheap. But not as cheap as the pedal next to it, which cost me £25! That there is a Donner Jet Flanger, and again it's surprisingly good! I daresay that if you A/B tested it next to a lovely warm analogue pedal like an EHX it would come off worse, but those EHX pedals are 1) Huge 2) Expensive and 3) Reverse Polarity for the PSU, in my experience. So again, for the 8 bars I'm going to use it for during a set it suits me just fine.

I've also bought the Mooer Mod Factory, and their Gray Faze Fuzz Pedal. Both have very useable sounds, especially the Univibe on the Mod Factory.

Not quite so small, but just as good VFM, are the Biyang Baby Boom pedals. I've got their Phaser and their Compression pedal. These are basically clones of the MXR Dyna Comp and whatever their phaser is called. And again, they sound fine to me. True Bypass (as all of the pedals I've mentioned are), and they do the job.

So yeah, I'm a fully signed up fan of these cheap pedals. Gotta catch 'em all!

12. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

"I've started buying a few cheap pedals recently, mainly for stuff that I don't use very often."

"So I don't want a big pedal, nor do I want to spend much on a pedal that's only going to get used very, very occasionally."

+1 completely agree.

13. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Strat-Talker

I usually just wait for abit til the new flavor of the month comes out and pick things up used or close out. Out my whole rig only 2 things were new and there are 2 pedals that will never be sold. Granted this all takes awhile but my needs are fairly humble and currently do not need a thing.

14. davidKOS

davidKOS not posting these days

I too use Danelectro pedals, and find them just as good for my gigs as any boo-teek pedal......see below......

Wow, I play gigs on guitars that cost less than one of your pedals. My stuff has to make money, not cost me, so I use cheap gear and make it sound good enough to gig on.

Encourage your young friend to make more pedals for you.

15. carver

carver Gone strangling

i love the dano cool cat, i have one of the old ones and have had it since i think 1995 or 96.. the 18v pedal is great. it really shines in stereo. i also still have my first dirt pedal.. a danelectro daddy o.. it is what it is.. i dont use it anymore but i also wouldnt sell it.. they are my first pedals. i spent a mint on them at my local "pet store/music" that we had in the small town i grew up in - ok well i guess that isnt totally true,....my drummer bought them and i got them from him. but its all the same in the end.

I also use a joyo vintage od to push my amps, its the one i bring around to shows and stuff. I do have a tube screamer too.. its an ibanez super tube and its the one i tend to leave at home so it doesnt walk away.. the vintage od has held up its side over the last year. nothing wrong with it...