Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Power Amp to Use With A Line 6 Pod?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by ToneRanger, Dec 4, 2017.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    I've got a buddy who recently got a hold of a Marshall 4x12 (apparently it used to belong to one of the guys in Molly Hatchet,) but he normally runs a Line 6 Pod and likes the way it sounds and works for him, so he needs a way to power it into the cab. What would be his best option?
    I tried looking up power amps and most seem to be for PA's; I mainly use combo amps so it's slightly out of my wheelhouse of experience to give him advice.

Any ideas?

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    What does he run the pod through now and which pod is it?

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Watching due to my love for my Eleven Rack.

TheDuck likes this.

4. ToneRanger

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    I think he was running it direct FOH with no amp, but he's wanting to go more of an amp/speaker experience.
    Waiting to hear back on which type he has, but I'm thinking it is the standard "kidney" shaped Pod - probably a 2.0?

5. ToneRanger

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    Actually, I just heard back - he's using an X3 Live, so it's a floorboard style.

6. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida

7. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @ToneRanger - Any stereo power amp will work, tube or solid state. You can run into the effects loop return on any guitar amp as well, but the results wont be as good. You need clean, clear power so the POD can do its thing.

@Dadocaster - When you want to know how to run your 11R live, just ask ;)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

8. ToneRanger

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    I ended up suggesting the Behringer NU1000 to him - it's got decent ratings and can be had for between $125 and $150.

TheDuck likes this.

9. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    I use the cheapest SS power amp I could find (that wasn't prone to catching fire)...

an ART SLA 1. 100 watts per side, 200 bridged.

Yes, it's a PA amp...I let the modeling of the pre amp provide the character.

10. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    When I had a POD Pro Rack as my first rig I ran it through a Marshall Series 9000 50/50 stereo power amp. The loaded rack case weighed almost as much as the 1936 lead cab. I loved that rig.

That seymour duncan stage 170 looks cool but is pricey and not stereo, if stereo matters, but will fit on a pedal board.

11. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Well, going into a 4x12 won't be stereo, so a PowerStage 170 would work just fine, and it would certainly be light and small enough. He'd have to turn off cab modeling on the POD, though, as you are already going into a cab.

johnthomas likes this.