Power supply question

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by esharpe123, Aug 17, 2021.

1. esharpe123

esharpe123 Strat-Talk Member

Are the more expensive power supply units like Voodoo Labs really that much better? I use a OneSpot daisy chain now, but thinking about going with a power supply instead. I see ones for 50.00 bucks that seem to have the same features.

2. cpage86

cpage86 Strat-Talker

If you have a bunch of digital effects you would be good to run a quality isolated supply like the Voodoo labs. If you run a handful of stomp boxes like BOSS, or practically any standard 9V low mA draw pedal a OneSpot is more than sufficient. The VooDoo Labs pedal power supplies are nice, and have a role in a good board design, but for a regular joe with a handful of fx its vastly overkill.

I had a Pedal Power 2 years ago because I thought I needed a fancy power supply. I didn't. It was expensive, and heavy. Of all the gear that has come and gone, I still use my original OneSpot that I bought maybe 15 years ago. The OneSpot is a regulated output 9V supply and I have had 0 problems running mine, even fully loaded with 8 pedals.

I would be leery (or avoid) all the low cost China supplies.

3. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

It depends…. If your daisy chain it doing everything you need with no noise or operational issues… then fine. But if your having issues or can’t power a certain pedal then a more expensive power supply maybe what you need.

I have daisy chain power supplies on little Nano boards with just a few pedals I might put together as a grab and go board or even just something to do a particular gig. When I was gigging regularly I used a more upgraded power supply to power a larger more permanent board that had to work night after night with no issues. I have all kinds of power supplies around here to power several boards. And the older I get the smaller the boards get. Weight becomes a issue if your not careful….:)

4. esharpe123

esharpe123 Strat-Talk Member

Thanks. This is the answer I needed. The one spot works fine. My OCD pedal will take 18v, but it is certainly cheaper to get a single 18v than a power supply.

Leofender and Electgumbo like this.
  5. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

I might add that your setup and teardown time is quicker with a power supply compared to daisy chaining everything. But I agree with the above, as a power supply owner it's overkill and the one spot will be fine.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  6. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

I've never used one of the expensive power supplies but I do have 2 cheap power supplies that put outrageous amounts of noise into the signal chain. So much that I've stopped using them on a couple of pedals that they cause the most noise in and went back to batteries on those.

The expensive stuff doesn't have that issue as far as I know. Both of mine are cheap power supplies from Amazon. Some of the same options as the expensive stuff. It has 2-100ma 2-300ma & 2-500ma ports. But it's NOISY.

The 2nd is a 1000ma wall wart with daisy chain that was like $15. It seems to be a little less noisy than the 6 port power supply.

The thing is I didn't realize how noisy these things were until Monday, 36 hours ago, when I finally wired the wall outlet correctly that my amp and pedals are powered by. That killed all of the hummimg/buzzing that was hiding the power supply noise. And now I've killed almost all of that noise so it's much, much quieter now.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Leofender, Cyberi4n and Electgumbo like this.
  7. arct

arct Strat-O-Master

Strymon Zuma. I wouldn't use anything else.

rct

SalvorHardin and esharpe123 like this.
  8. Wound_Up

Or 1Spot sells a voltage doubler that just attaches to whichever plug you intend on using. It's 24.95 though. You could probably find an 18v supply for that price but will it be quiet like the 1spot? I have no idea.

That, thing doubles whatever voltage is fed to it. 9v to 18v, 12v to 24v, etc...

Screenshot_20210817-232812_Chrome.jpg

9. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I have one rechargeable
    BOXKing

I have a thing from Danelectro
    Has 4 rechargeable 9v batteries

Bot are quiet
    Both seem reliable...

Wound_Up and Electgumbo like this.
  10. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

Is a voodoo labs better than a one spot?
    Yes. Of course it is.
    The one spot is still perfectly legit.
    I use them (several years now) with no noise, and no reliability issues.

The knock off types you can get from Amazon.... I would not trust.

11. Wound_Up

That settles it. I'm glad I came across this thread. All but one of my pedals are non-digital so they use barely any power at all. So I'm going to order a 1Spot and see if I can power all of my pedals with it and have less noise than my current 2 power supplies. It says it can power up to 20 pedals at once with 1700ma available & on tap. So I shouldn't have any issues powering my 9 or 10 or 11 or 13 pedals.

Edit: got one ordered from Sweetwater. And I saved a couple of bucks since it was a barely used demo :D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    esharpe123 likes this.
  12. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

The short answer is yes, they are. Isolated power is the way to go if you can. That said if the one spot is working for you why change it? Problems that aren't there aren't problems in my view.

13. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I used a daisy chain for a long time without any issues. Then I wanted to have other options with over powering a couple pedals like my Carbon Copy and my BDAB. The Daisy Chain didn't afford me that option. So I went to a couple of the cheaper bricks that claimed to be isolated power supplies. The problem with them was that they weren't truly ISPs. All of the supplies in them shared a common ground. So when I got my Molten Voltage Delaytion controller for my CC I was getting some electronic feedback bleeding through.
    I ended up getting a really good deal on a Walrus Audio Phoenix which did the trick. I have a pretty large board and the Phoenix powers it all and gives me an extra outlet to plug the Delaytion in separately completely isolating it from the rest of the board.
    It's expensive but worth it IMO. I don't pay out much but when I do my rig is silent from electrical/electronic interference.

bbarott likes this.
  14. train

train Worlds largest private army Silver Member

I’ve tried the one spot daisy chain but ground loops quickly taught me what the extra cost of isolated grounds would solve. a gig ending problem for me .. cheap ones are not fully isolated . Like donner. Etc. the chins are very deceptive in their advertisements. Buy a reputable brand if you need to go that way. If you have no issues then stay with what you have .

Wayne Adams and Stratoskater like this.
  15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

My pedalboard has $1,800 worth of pedals on it. I’m using a fully isolated proper power supply for that.

16. Houdi Elbow

Houdi Elbow Strat-Talker

I've been using a PalmerPWT12 Mk2 for over a year now. Works fine. 12 isolated outputs, eight 9v and four variable 6v up to 18v. Not too expensive either. I paid £120 (UK) for a new one. Comes complete with psu and leads.
    8711F3BC-D3CA-42B9-B110-79286EF22AC3.jpg

17. Wound_Up

How do you get ground loops with a daisy chain?

Edit: just ordered an inexpensive Pyle Hum Eliminator. It should be here next week sometime.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  18. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

I had good results with Truetone One Spot Pro power supplies (like this one, https://truetone.com/cs7/). No noise, adequate power, and enough plugs and power for a good size pedal board. They do two or three other sizes.

Voxman likes this.
  19. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster

I use a One Spot for one board and Voodoo Lab one another. Much easier than a daisy chain, less noise and easier to keep wires together. Plus being able have different power settings for oddball pedals is a plus.

I have a comp/od pedal that the od sounded godawful on. Checked the power on the wall wart that I needed to get rid of vs what the power supply had. Oops, move it to the right jack and there ya go

esharpe123 likes this.
  20. Wound_Up

Hmmm. A 1spot & daisy chain are dead quiet on my rig. But I also addressed all of the other issues prior to that.

I rewired the outlet correctly which killed 90% of the noise and the other 10% was killed when I switched to the 1spot.