Join Strat-Talk Today

Practical Music Workshop #10 - Take V7

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by dogletnoir, Oct 1, 2019.

1. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V Strat-Talk Supporter

1959 was a great year for jazz album releases.
    We've already looked at 'Kind Of Blue', the modal watershed from Miles Davis.
    Another classic album was recorded that same year, also at Columbia Studios in New York City:
    The Dave Brubeck Quartet's 'Time Out', which offered up a blend of West Coast style cool jazz
    while showcasing time signatures which were not in common usage in jazz at that time.
    One track from the album, the only one not written by Dave Brubeck, actually became a Top 40
    hit single a couple of years after its initial release, and remains the top selling jazz single to this
    day: 'Take Five', composed by the group's alto saxophonist Paul Desmond.
    'Take Five' is a tune with a high recognition factor even among folks who are not jazz fans,
    and one which is a nice addition to any musician's repertoire.
    As such, it will be the subject of this month's PMW.

First, we will be in an odd meter throughout: 5/4 swing time, counted as 3 + 2.
    Next, building on our explorations from the last two PMWs, the A section of the tune is basically
    a modal vamp over 2 chords, Eb minor 7 and Bb minor 7

The B section, however... the Real Book lead sheet has quite the string of chord changes which some
    might find intimidating, so for our purposes here we will distill them down to their most basic essence:
    a modulation to Ab minor, and a i IV v in that key:
    Ab minor 7 Db 7/Ab Eb minor 7/Bb Eb minor 7
    (the 'slash' chords indicate that the root of the voicing is not the tonic, but rather the 5th in both cases)
    That set of changes repeats 3x before the turnaround: Ab minor 7 B7 Bb7

That's right, folks... we've got a dominant chord (V7) this month!

Here's a downloadable backing track:

Here's a downloadable track with just bass and drums for anyone that wants one:

And for anyone who might happen to be unfamiliar with the tune (LOL), here's a rendition by
    The Brubeck Quartet:

Notice that they take their solos over only the modal vamp...
    Here's the Real Book lead sheet with the melody written out and the full changes for
    the B section as well, just in case you'd like to try them out on your own.

Screenshot 2019-09-25 17.59.48.png

The melody is a bit tricky to execute on guitar.
    Here's a hint as to how i play it:
    i begin the A section's 'call' in 8th position on the 4th string, and play everything on strings 4, 3 and 2,
    shifting down to 6th position to cover the 'response'.
    For the B section, i start on the 1st string at the 11th fret, and use only strings 1 and 2 for the
    entire thing. There's some use of repeated extended fingering patterns in descending sequence and
    some rapid back and forth position shifting on one finger involved... but it makes it sound more legato.

If playing the actual melody is a bit too off-putting for you, feel free to make up your own.
    Go on and DIY that thang!

The 'contrafact' (creating a new melodic theme over pre-existing familiar chord changes)
    is a common enough thing in jazz anyhow, and i wouldn't want that to be a deal breaker
    for any would-be participants!

Good luck, have at it, and have fun!
    :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  2. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Awesome challenge! I’ve read several discussions of Take 5 from a guitar player’s perspective and I’ve not attempted it yet but I’m stoked for the challenge. Lots of great stuff to attempt and explore here.

simoncroft, Omar and dogletnoir like this.
  3. Omar

Omar ✪✪ Miserable Old Curmudgeon ✪✪

It looks like we will be having fun! I have listened to this song many times but never knew its name :D it’s famous indeed. Thank you E!

dogletnoir likes this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm sorry see that the bass drums and cheat sheet, "do it yourself" concept of the PMW has drifted away and it's just becoming another play along with a backing track session now. That takes all the fun and interest out of it for me.

Omar and dogletnoir like this.
  5. dogletnoir

Thanks for bringing that up, @Thrup'ny Bit!
    My apologies, for that was certainly not my intention.
    @Omar asked, "Would it be possible to learn a tune next month?" when i asked for some input
    re: what folks wanted to see in future PMWs, and i wanted to take that into consideration.
    Given the tune i chose, i thought that i had made enough work for folks on this as it was
    (5/4 time, slash chords, some V7 harmony, and a fairly intricate melody), and i can possibly
    be forgiven the oversight of not immediately posting the 'bare bones' drum and bass version,
    especially since you chose to use the full backing version of #9 yourself.

Give me a moment to rectify the situation...
    OK, here's something fa ya:

EDIT: This is the 'simplified bass part' version now.
    i have also added it to the initial post. The main reason i didn't include it at first is that
    some folks might have found my original bass part a bit hard to follow without the chords
    to help keep track of the progression ...
    but if anyone wants them, those original versions of the backer are still downloadable on
    my soundcloud page.

Fun and interest restored?
    :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    simoncroft and Omar like this.
  6. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Acoustic Alchemy did a cover of this in 1990 and at the time I had no idea it was a cover of a classic jazz tune. It can give an idea of how this can sound on guitar. It's a great tune!

(Edit) Well the synth and percussion make this sound dated but I still love the sound of the main melody on the steel string guitar. Interesting little variations added here and there.

When I played in the church choir we had a hymn that was based on this as well...same time sig and chords (probably dumbed down a bit in the busy part) but different melody.

simoncroft and dogletnoir like this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

I only used the full backing in #9 because my arm is not up to playing chords yet. It may never be again, I don't know yet.

8. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Senior Stratmaster

Thank you E for the cool backers. Your take on the backer is awesome!

dogletnoir likes this.
  9. dogletnoir

i got that, and i'm still hoping sincerely that you will recover.
    Best wishes, mate!

10. Raimonds

Raimonds Senior Stratmaster

I'm in :) Very nice composition, indeed! I learned chords and melody some time back, now I have to dive into my memory and recall what I was playing couple of years back.
    I like couple of versions, one is by Gypsy Jazz Caravan and second is by New York Ska Ensemble; they did this song in 4/4 reggae, I like this version a lot, you can check their Live in Paris somewhere on Youtube. (hope this doesnt derail the topic)

dogletnoir and Omar like this.
  11. Omar

/B or /Bb? Since we want to play 2nd inversion, and Bb is Eb's fifth. :D Unless we want to play an augmented chord.

Because I cant find the correct fingering lol

dogletnoir likes this.
  12. dogletnoir

Bb is correct, sorry. i had that initially, but it must have gotten lost in the course of my editing
    as i tried to bold and space out the relevant chords to make them more clear.
    Thanks for pointing that out!

The simplest voicing to use for the Ebmi7/Bb would be 3rd finger on low E at the 6th fret,
    index barring strings 4,3, and 2 at the 4th, and little finger plays the Db on the 3rd string, 6th fret.
    Then just move the 3rd finger over to the 5th string to cover the straight Ebmi7.

davidKOS and Omar like this.
  13. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Senior Stratmaster

My finger tips hurt. Note-for-note stuff is not my forte but this is such a cool song and opportunity - so I'm working it. Thank you E!

dogletnoir and Omar like this.
  14. Omar

This proves that I read the entire post lol

I’m using that fingering, I’ve figured it out myself :D

thank you for the correction, E!

simoncroft and dogletnoir like this.
  15. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, this is likely to be embarrassing. I've been listening to this number for almost 50 years, and I can probably play the bass line in my sleep. But that tune is not as simple as Paul Desmond makes it sound, and I frequently make a mess of it. :oops: Let's see what a month of concerted practice can do you me. :)

Andrew Wasson, dogletnoir and Omar like this.
  16. tukoztukoz

tukoztukoz Strat-Talker

I got familiar with that tune while watching the « secret life of machines ». Great show!

dogletnoir likes this.
  17. Omar

I hope I didn’t cause any misunderstanding between any members by asking to learn a tune :(
    On the other, I’m very motivated to learn this tune. I like the chords and the melody. I hope it becomes the first jazz tune that I learn from A to Z :D
    I’ll use both, the full track to practice chords and the bsss/drums one to record my take.

good luck with it everyone!

dogletnoir likes this.
  18. Thrup'ny Bit

^^^ The junior curmudgeon ^^^ said "Why don't you post that?" so I have. Maybe I'll get around to the rest before the end of the month. I sorted out my own backing track, with a little help from the Bits. :D

19. dogletnoir

@Omar,
    Certainly not from this end.
    i thought your request for an actual tune to learn was both reasonable and timely,
    and @Thrup'ny Bit only prodded me into doing something i had always intended on
    doing anyway sooner rather than later, so it's all good.
    As far as it being the first jazz tune you learn in its entirety, well... you could do worse.
    :)

Thrup'ny Bit and Omar like this.
  20. dogletnoir

Very nice indeed; my only gripe would be that it's too short!
    i'm definitely looking forward to hearing the rest of it at some point.

Thrup'ny Bit and Omar like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.