Practical question about the Performer

Blues Lawyer

Strat-Talk Member
May 10, 2022
Maryland
Other than the pickups and neck carve, is there any real difference between the Professional and the Performer?

I'm not a shredder and don't spend a whole helluva lot of time down in the highest registers so a sculpted heel isn't much of a selling point.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Other than the pickups and neck carve, is there any real difference between the Professional and the Performer?

I'm not a shredder and don't spend a whole helluva lot of time down in the highest registers so a sculpted heel isn't much of a selling point.
How much do you use the tremolo?

The Performer has a traditional style bridge and modern versions of the classic split shaft tuners. If you plan on heavy trem use you may benefit from the modern style tuners and bridge (of course many have managed just fine without). If you just want a classic style Strat then you may like the Performer just fine. I personally like the neck carve on those.

Blues Lawyer

Strat-Talk Member
May 10, 2022
Maryland

The Performer has a traditional style bridge and modern versions of the classic split shaft tuners. If you plan on heavy trem use you may benefit from the modern style tuners and bridge (of course many have managed just fine without). If you just want a classic style Strat then you may like the Performer just fine. I personally like the neck carve on those.
I really don't use the trem and may very well deck it.

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
“Deep C” neck with a satin finish on the Professional. 42.8 mm nut. Rolled edges.

Performer has the “modern C” neck like the Player series. 42 mm nut.

I think the bridge and tuners are both upgrades on the Professional.

And all the other differences aforementioned.

@3bolt79 GC says the Performer also has dual action truss rod.

Last edited:

Samjh

New Member!
Jun 6, 2022
UK
I have a Performer, deciding on which ended up boiling down to not whether to get a Pro but actually to choosing the Ultra/luxe vs performer. The Pro II is not a lot different unless you want the 2 point and the 2 way truss rod. In most scenarios (unless the climate does stuff to the neck) it's mostly cosmetics -headstock, push-pull switch etc- plus pickups and layout apart from the neck and 2/6 point bridge.

I like the Yosemites tbh, of all the necks I prefer a 9.5 radius as a good compromise and the Modern C is comfortable, frets are fine. If I had the option of specifying it all myself I'd probably go for Performer neck (maybe with a 2 way truss rod, never needed that yet but there's always a first time) and pickups with a 2 point bridge (maybe, I like the 6 anyway but don't put the bar in, it works fine for the occasional palm wobble and pulling it up by hand to bend down here and there) and an Ultra style push for the bridge/neck option. The Performer is very likeable, in that hard to put down way that kills hours of spare time. That's a plus point. Might depend on your reference points and own benchmarks though.

The bulk of it's swappable anyway in reality, tuners, pickups and so-on. Personally I had decided on the Performer before I found a display model at a couple of hundred quid discount, but it's proven to be worth its price tag. Worth trying as many out as possible though - there might be a certain something that one version does / doesn't do, varies so much from person to person. I, er, mostly play the plectrum (and tenor) banjo -and their 4 string guitar equivalents- to be honest. The Performer sort of equates to the Deering Sierra 'entry level of upper line' I think is their way of putting it. Not fancy, but practical. Both are nicer that that makes them sound. I did actually need a good guitar to replace my not-so-good cheapocaster. Unfortunately I like it more than I expected to and now want to have lots of others so am avoiding shops.

The bulk of what I just wrote is all I this and me that. It really is worth borrowing/testing/playing all the options to see which works best. The Performer isn't bad at all though.

Blues Lawyer

Strat-Talk Member
May 10, 2022
Maryland
I have a Performer, deciding on which ended up boiling down to not whether to get a Pro but actually to choosing the Ultra/luxe vs performer. The Pro II is not a lot different unless you want the 2 point and the 2 way truss rod. In most scenarios (unless the climate does stuff to the neck) it's mostly cosmetics -headstock, push-pull switch etc- plus pickups and layout apart from the neck and 2/6 point bridge.

I like the Yosemites tbh, of all the necks I prefer a 9.5 radius as a good compromise and the Modern C is comfortable, frets are fine. If I had the option of specifying it all myself I'd probably go for Performer neck (maybe with a 2 way truss rod, never needed that yet but there's always a first time) and pickups with a 2 point bridge (maybe, I like the 6 anyway but don't put the bar in, it works fine for the occasional palm wobble and pulling it up by hand to bend down here and there) and an Ultra style push for the bridge/neck option. The Performer is very likeable, in that hard to put down way that kills hours of spare time. That's a plus point. Might depend on your reference points and own benchmarks though.

The bulk of it's swappable anyway in reality, tuners, pickups and so-on. Personally I had decided on the Performer before I found a display model at a couple of hundred quid discount, but it's proven to be worth its price tag. Worth trying as many out as possible though - there might be a certain something that one version does / doesn't do, varies so much from person to person. I, er, mostly play the plectrum (and tenor) banjo -and their 4 string guitar equivalents- to be honest. The Performer sort of equates to the Deering Sierra 'entry level of upper line' I think is their way of putting it. Not fancy, but practical. Both are nicer that that makes them sound. I did actually need a good guitar to replace my not-so-good cheapocaster. Unfortunately I like it more than I expected to and now want to have lots of others so am avoiding shops.

The bulk of what I just wrote is all I this and me that. It really is worth borrowing/testing/playing all the options to see which works best. The Performer isn't bad at all though.
The pickup issue is moot for me. I'm going to swap them out for dimarzios and maybe put the Yosemites into my otherwise unremarkable 2006 American Series.

Looking at the specs, both are gloss poly and I like the Arctic White.

Neckwise, I'm going to try one out on my way back to the office from court. My American has a Modern C and I like it but my AO60s, well that neck is just amazing.

I dunno.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama

If you plan on heavy trem use you may benefit from the modern style tuners and bridge (of course many have managed just fine without).
I'm not really a fan of 2 point trems, and I have no issues at all with a 6 point, and whatever tuners are on the guitar. IMO/YMMV the 2point trem and locking tuners are fine, but not necessarily an "upgrade".

And yes my trems are floating, I use them a lot, no locking tuners, and they stay in tune just fine.

It is, and always has been, all about the setup. ;)

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
I'm not really a fan of 2 point trems, and I have no issues at all with a 6 point, and whatever tuners are on the guitar. IMO/YMMV the 2point trem and locking tuners are fine, but not necessarily an "upgrade".

And yes my trems are floating, I use them a lot, no locking tuners, and they stay in tune just fine.

It is, and always has been, all about the setup. ;)
I like both 2 point & 6. I deck some & float some. I don't typically do a lot of trem work so for what I want to do a Bigsby is most suitable.

When I really want to dig into it on a Strat I prefer the action of a 2 point with tighter pop in arm.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
“Deep C” neck with a satin finish on the Professional. 42.8 mm nut. Rolled edges.

Performer has the “modern C” neck like the Player series. 42 mm nut.

And all the other differences aforementioned.

@3bolt79 GC says the Performer also has dual action truss rod.

Actually the American Performers also have the 42.8mm nut - I think there's a typo on some international versions of Fender's website that list it at 42mm. The Players are 42mm.

I have an American Performer Tele; it's definitely the 42.8mm nut width (and I just measured it to verify).

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I bought an American Special Strat from a friend. I love it just the way it is. TS’s are my favorite pickups. And I like the six screw bridge setup better than the 2 point. I got a Fender case and a 30 ft Divine Noise cable with silent jack as part of the deal.

When I was looking for one, the Performer would have been what I picked had I bought new.